Lesser Known Facts About Depression
- Depression is misdiagnosed as anxiety in about 65% of the time. Make sure your condition is diagnosed properly for a better treatment.
- Persistent irritability can be a symptom of depression.
- Depression can present as physical pain. Also, the state of depression leads to higher level of physical pain to injury.
- Depression can make you selfish. Well, it's difficult to think about others pain when the person has a lot of pain to deal with himself.
- Alcohol, marijuana and other recreational drugs are actually depressants. It's best to avoid these when you are suffering from depression (and otherwise as well!).
- Depression not only makes the sufferer feel bad, but can also affects the closed ones. When you stop giving time to your loved ones, they may distance themselves from you.
- Not only bad, but even good situations can lead to depression like getting a new job, marriage, graduation, child birth etc.
- Women are 2 times more susceptible to depression than men. A probable reason is the hormone estrogen which alters the neurotransmitter activity leading to depression.
- Men are more susceptible to depression post-midlife because of decreased testosterone levels in their body.
- Depression not necessarily mean "sad, socially withdrawn and hopeless". Sometimes depression take the form of "violent and abusive".
- According to researches, depression has been linked to low bone mineral density. Depressed people are more likely to develop osteoporosis.
- Depressed people suffer from cold more often than others.
- Depression sufferers are more susceptible to have a heart attack.
- It is genetic in 50% of the cases.
- Severe depression can cause hallucinations.
- Even children can suffer from depression. 1 in every 30 children suffers from depression.
- About 80% of those suffering from depression don't seek medical treatment.
- Low intake of omega-3 fatty acid increases the risk of depression. So if you're depressed, eating fish or other omega-3 rich sources would be a good idea.
- Oral contraceptive pills also increases the risk of depression. The culprit here is the synthetic version of the hormone progesterone.
- Depressed people have less specific goals/more generalized goals. For them, it's "Everything sucks, I don't care" kind of feeling. They are not less motivated by personal goals but they are more pessimistic about attaining them.
- Depression affects memory. You might have difficulty remembering names, places, in recalling meaning etc
- Depressive realism: It's been found that depressed people see the world in a more accurate way than non-depressed. For example, non-depressed people always think that they've performed very well in a task than they actually have, thus results may not always be up to their expectations.
- It has been found that those, esp. the teens and preteens, spending a lot of time on social networking sites have higher risks of developing depression, also known as "Facebook Depression". Apparently they have difficulty in actual human interactions and maintaining friendships. They also tend to have less realistic view of the world.
- Even the end of TV series or movie series can lead to depression in a fan! Some Avatar fans got depressed and even tried to commit suicide because the fictional world shown in the movie was not real. Harry potter fans got depressed when the series came to an end too.
- Exercising is the easiest and cheapest cure for depression. That's why a lot of therapists go on a walk with their clients, instead of doing a clinic session. Walking for 30 minutes can reduce your symptoms to a great extent. Exercising regularly also prevents depression.
- People don't choose to be depressed but people can choose how to deal with it. That's why some people come out strong while others suffer from chronic depression throughout their life.
- Psychology Today
- Porter et al 2003. Neurocognitive impairment in drug-free patients with major depressive disorder.
- Dickson JM, Moberly NJ (2013) Reduced Specificity of Personal Goals and Explanations for Goal Attainment in Major Depression. PLoS ONE 8(5): e64512.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064512
- Michael T Moore and David M Fresco. 2012. Depressive realism: A meta-analytic review
- George Mammen and Guy Faulkner. 2013. Physical Activity and the Prevention of Depression
- Chantal Berna, Siri Leknes, Emily A. Holmes, Robert R. Edwards, Guy M. Goodwin, Irene Tracey. 2010. Induction of Depressed Mood Disrupts Emotion Regulation Neurocircuitry and Enhances Pain Unpleasantness
Have you ever suffered from depression?See results without voting
Yeah, she's smiling. But don't let that fool you. Look into her eyes; she's breaking inside.
More by this Author
Here are some of the tips and information related to how you can find a hidden camera in hotel rooms and new apartments.
Universe is an amazing place, full of stars, planets and what not. Today we're looking up at 5 amazing stars of the universe.
This article is about the white lion. It consist of the topics genetics of white lion, origin of white lion, mythologies about white lion, problems in their survival, estimated population and some white lion facts.