“It’s Gonna be a Bright, Bright Sun-shiny Day...”
Would you like for your eyesight to be like the song by Johnny Nash that says, “I can see clearly now, the rain is gone, I can see all obstacles in my way…” In the past if you wore glasses or contacts this seemed more like the “Impossible Dream”; however, with the technology and medical advancements of today, it doesn’t have to be! Atlanta LASIK surgeons, like others all across America, are happy to assist you in your desire to see unassisted. And, with a little time and energy, you can find the LASIK surgeon right for you.
Finding a LASIK Surgeon
1. Make a list. Thanks to the ever growing popularity of LASIK, many people have had the procedure, so you likely have several friends, family members or co-workers you can talk to and get recommendations from.
2. You can also checkout sites like Atlanta’s LocalPrice.com or google “your city plus the word LASIK” to get additional names.
3. Be sure you check the names on your list against those listed on the American Board of Ophthalmology’s website. This way you will know which ones are Board Certified.
Once you have a list, it is time to begin scheduling some consultations. As you begin scheduling, make note of the following:
1. Is there a charge for the consultation?
2. Will the doctor perform the consultation?
3. How long will the appointment last?
4. Will the consultation include an eye examination?
5. Is the LASIK surgeon willing to answer any questions and concerns you have with patience and clarity?
As part of the actual consultation, there are 6 questions that you should be sure to ask the doctor. These questions will help you determine if the particular LASIK surgeon is right for you.
1. How long have you performed LASIK? Should be at least 3-4 years
2. How many LASIK surgeries have you performed? A minimum of 1,000 is recommended
3. What national ophthalmology related organizations do you belong to? Should be at least 1, preferably 2 or more
4. Do you use Wavefront Technology? Should always be yes
5. Have you ever lost your license, or been part of malpractice suit? If yes, why?
6. What is your success rate? Should be quite high
LASIK surgery is one of the most impressive medical advances in the past 20 years. It has become safer and more common, making it reasonably accessible to many. Take your time in selecting a LASIK surgeon, and you too, can soon be singing,
“I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright, bright sun-shiny day.”
No comments yet.