Top seven steps to stay healthy
No matter how much money and status you have earned, if you are unhealthy, you won’t be able to enjoy the hard-earned achievement. Healthy life means the life with quality.
Yesterday was the study day for the health staffs of our batch. I learned interesting facts about increasing health problems such as obesity, hypertension and diabetes all around the world. Before attending the class, I was quite confident that gradually we are getting control over our diseases and living healthier life. Actually my such thinking was affected by my judgement that there has been huge advancement in the multidisciplinary field to tackle over increasing morbidity and mortality. But I was wrong. I was disappointed that I knew nothing.
I mainly realized that even though life expectancy has increased in modern era, the quality of life has declined. Frequent appointments to see medical professionals and eating handful of tablets many times a day for survival are just two examples to prove that our life is more of a quantity than quality.
WARNING about heart disease:
Stastistics shows that heart disease is the main cause of death and disability in the world. About 17.3 million died from heart disease in 2008 all around the world. And by 2030, 23.6 million will die from heart disease (WHO).
So how to improve our quality of life?
How to improve our quality of life?
The American heart association has created “My life check” programm to assist people to prevent many avoidable health problems. This program encourages us to follow 7 simple steps to stay healthy and live longer:
Interesting video about how to swap to healthy habits without stopping
Simple habits such as walking and stretching will save you from many diseases. How?
- Stretching will keep your bones and muscles flexible. As a result, when you do activities such as walking or dancing, your muscles will not ache and you will enjoy being active in long run.
- Exercise, such as walking, increases blood flow all over our body and avoids unwanted plaques to form in our blood vessels. Formation of plaque is one of the main reason for slower blood flow to our body giving rise to many diseases. Exercise also makes it easier to take sugar out of our bloodstream quickly. Hence, our sugar level stays stable and our chance of getting diabetes is decreased.
Eating healthy and less fatty foods means less collection of fats in our blood stream. Hence, simple workouts is enough to melt the little fats. My two tips to stay away from unhealthy food:
- Keep your kitchen free of junk foods and unwanted sweets and load with healthy alternatives so that when you are hungry you won’t have the options to eat unhealthy food.
- Never ever go to supermarket for shopping when you are hungry. It is definite that you will make an unhealthy choice if you go to the market with empty stomach.
Some of the negetive affects of Smoking on our health:
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Cancer of the heart, lung, stomach, kidney, liver, bladder.
- Asthma and/or breathing difficulties
- Premature death.
Smoking damages arteries in our body. As a result, clean blood supplying veins becomes thick and bumpy. Hence, blood supply through those veins will slow down and the little cells all around our body will miss out on blood and will gradually die giving birth to many dangerous diseases.
Why is world so freaked out about cholesterol? Here is why.
- Higher level of cholesterol causes plaques in our arteries. This plaques blocks our arteries and then decreases blood flow to the different parts of our body. As a result, our cells and tissues inside our body die causing the damage to major organs in our body.
- Cholesterol can become lodged in our kidney’s filter and hamper fluid and electrolyte balance in our body.
My brother in law was taking cholesterol tablets called "Atorvastatin" for the last 2 years and his blood cholesterol level dropped back to the normal range with this drug. We were happy that his cholesterol level was in control, but recently new result discovered in 2012 really shocked us with the news that taking "Atrovastatin" can cause diabetes after 10 years or sooner. Fortunately, he started doing huge workouts since last 3 months and is already out of cholesterol tablets. My point in providing this example here is to focus that we cannot always rely on medication and every medication come with their side-effects; we need to find healthy alternatives such as eating healthy diet and exercising, as much as possible, to avoid the need for medical intervention.
What is the right body weight?
BMI (Body Mass Index) is one of the reliable way to measure body weight. Calculate your BMI here.
Underweight and/or Malnourished
Being too fat increases the risk of getting many diseases such as hypertension, asthma, hight blood cholesterol and diabetes. Reduce adding burden to major organs of your body by exercising and eating less fatty food.
Reduce blood sugar level
Huge level of sugar in the body causes many detrimental diseases such diabetes, retinopathy, ulcers and kidney failure. This diseases decreases the blood supply to our hands and legs. As a result the tissues in those areas begin to die and many patients end up having those parts amputated. Scary!
- Decrease your sugar levels by increasing intake of whole foods such as fruits and vegetables rather than eating simple sugars.
Manage blood pressure
Because hypertension causes stress on your arteries by forcing them to expand to compensate with fast blood flow, they gradually tear arteries microscopically and make the walls of the arteries thinner. As a result our body is left with hardened and weakened arteries. Moreover, the torn tissues are prone to attract or collect the plaques and white blood cells. This cells clots blood.
- Instead of adding too much salt and oil, add herbs and healthy spices to your food. You will be amazed at how tasty your food will taste, eve with less salt and less oil.
Whatever advancement in medical field happens, if all of us don't take at least some charge of their own health, our health will keep deteriorating.
Remember it is never too late or too early to start healthy active live. Good luck with adding years to your life. Live long!
How do I calculate my BMI Manually - am I overweight?: A useful hub on how to calculate your BMI.
More by this Author
Juicy and spicy soda water, a popular drink sold in streets of India, is mysteriously delicious. I will share with you all the mysterious spices found in this unique drink that will make your drink tasty and keep you...
If you are going through the craving for foods such as chips and lollies or for spices and chillies uncontrollably, your body is sending you the important message about your health. In this article you will find out...
What else can I think of other than momo/dumplings in this weather. Momo is popular dish in Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan. The Nepali momos tastes completely different from dumplings of other countries because of its spicy...