Lipitor vs Zocor - Doctor Opinions
If you've been taking Lipitor, you've probably thought about switching over to Zocor, the generic version of the same drug. But you might be hesitant because you've heard the rumors that Zocor just isn't up to par in comparison with Lipitor. How do you know whether it's worth the financial savings to take the chance to try out Zocor instead of Lipitor? The truth is that you probably can't know for sure because doctors are still divided in their opinions about the use of Zocor instead of Lipitor.
Here are some of the things that experts are saying about Lipitor vs. Zocor:
- According to a Washington Post article comparing the two drugs, Dr. John Tsai said that Lipitor is better than Zocor at reducing nonfata heart attacks, angiograms and bypass surgery and that it is better at lowering cholesterol as well. However, it should be noted that Tsai works for Pfizer which is the company that sells Lipitor. In that same article, a chief pharmacy officer at Wellpoint Inc. named Robert Seidman says that although some people will continue to use Lipitor, many will switch to Zocor since the results may be the same.
- In another article, this one from The New York Times Business section, a different Lipitor doctor, Dr. Berelowitz says that Zocor and other generic brands of Lipitor aren't as potent as the brand name drug. However, this article points out that the truth of this is irrelevant since most people who use the drug don't require the strongest dose anyway.
- A second New York Times article confirms this. It quotes a Dr. JoAnne Foody who said that although she would likely continue to prescribe Lipitor to the few patients who needed the maximum dosage, she would switch other patients to Zocor since it has the same results at the lower levels.
- Lipitor advertises doctor opinions on its website. They have Dr. Andrey Manoy listed on the site as saying that Lipitor is safe and effective. However, he obviously wasn't asked about Zocor. The Zocor site doesn't offer any such testimonials either way.
- Of course, there are some doctors who say that neither Lipitor or Zocor should be used. For example, in an interview with Medication Sense, Dr. Duane Graveline discussed the fact that he took Lipitor and it had grave effects on his memory. This is a side-effect which is frequently cited by people who are seeking alternatives to taking either Lipitor or Zocor.
It is difficult to pinpoint most doctors on the issue of Lipitor vs. Zocor because of the obvious medical and insurance issues that come up around this controversial topic. In general, doctors with moderate opinions tend to say that Zocor is a low-cost alternative that makes sense for those people who are on low levels of the drug. However, they suggest that Lipitor is the best drug for those people who require the highest dosages. There are doctors on either side of the issue, of course, including those doctors and naturopaths who recommend finding an alternative that isn't either of these drugs. Ultimately, it is probably time - and not the opinions of doctors - that will tell whether Lipitor, Zocor or some other alternative is the way to go.
More by this Author
Weight gain is something that the majority of us are familiar with. It happens when we slack off on our diets, start eating unhealthy food and fail to exercise as much as we should. (That combination is why...
I was a weird little kid. It's okay, I'm the first to admit it. I was saying my first words before I was six months old. I was more likely to take care of my younger siblings than to go out and play. And I liked...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.