Easy Ways to Manage Your Stress Better
If you have an event coming up that is causing you stress,make sure that you are pepared well in advance.This way you won't have to stress over doing things at the last minute.
Cut stress out of your life for good!
Stress is something that we all have to cope with at some point or another. Maybe your boss is pressuring you to finish a project in an unreasonable amount of time,or maybe you just feel that you dont have enough YOU time. It can effect our lives,and even the people around us in negative ways. If not addressed in a timely manner,stress can even lead to depression. There can be various reasons why you might feel this way,and the first step in overcoming stress is always to pinpoint the cause of it.
Ask and you shall recieve
Don't be embarrassed to ask for help if you need it. Have other family members do their fair share around the house too. This will take some off the weight off of your back.
Start with these stress management tips
- Too much on your plate - If you're feeling stressed because you just have too much to do,and not enough time to do it,consider this helpful tip. Get out a piece of paper,and make a list of all of the things that you feel need done. It doesn't need to be in any specific order,because this just takes more time,which you already have very little of. When you are finished,hang it on your refrigerator. This is your reminder of what needs done,and will allow your brain to take a much needed break. You wont be thinking "I better not forget to do this after work",or " I better do this now,or I will be late for my meeting". It is all written down for you,and you can focus your mind on other tasks until you get around to doing the things on your list.
- Road Rage - If sitting in rush hour traffic has you aggravated,sit back for a moment. Take a deep breath in and out a couple of times. When you breathe out,relax your muscles,starting with the neck and shoulders,all the way down to your toes. Sit still for a moment and just focus on how relaxed your body is.Your mood will soon follow suit,because believe it or not,your breathing rate can directly effect your mood.
- Physical activity - Exercise is also a great way to reduce stress. Even a light exercise routine done a few times a week will help immensely in improving how you feel on a day to day basis. It gives you the feeling that you are in control,and can also help with self esteem issues. If exercise is not really your thing,just take a scenic walk,or go for an evening bike ride while the sun is setting. The beauty of nature,and the smell of the outdoors will surely lift your spirits in no time.
When enough is enough
If you feel that your stress has turned into depression,don't hesitate to get the help that you need. Depression should not be taken lightly.
- You time- Give yourself a free day.This is a day where you do absolutely nothing except what you personally choose to do. You don't even have to get dressed if you don't want to. Just stay in your pajamas,and relax. Of course,the ideal day for this would be on your day off from work. Also,if you have young children,arrange for someday to babysit for much of the day. Just sit back and enjoy some of your favorite hobbies,or take a nice warm bubble bath,and light some candles. Don't even think about work,or the things that you have to do in the upcoming days. Put all of it on the back-burner for right now. This really can do wonders to improve your outlook for the rest of the week. We honestly all need some time to ourselves once in awhile. And you should NEVER be ashamed of taking that time. Consider it as taking a little break from life.
- Brain power - Think positive. If you are spending your time constantly thinking of all the negative things going on in your life,you are likely to cause yourself a great deal of stress. Positive thinking can change the way you view different problems that may arise. As you develop a habit of positive thinking,you will find that your brain automatically begins to focus on the positive side of things,rather than the negative.
- Mind and body connection- Consider signing up for yoga classes. And don't worry about feeling silly doing it. It has become very popular in recent years,and even celebrities often use yoga as a way to destress.Yoga helps you get in touch with your mind and body. Hatha yoga in particular is a wonderful choice,especially if you have never done any type of yoga before. It is slow paced and very easy for beginners.
- Sleep- Make sure you are getting enough sleep at night. Yes,it can be hard. These days people are busier than ever. But,sleep is so important to both your physical and mental health. Not getting enough sleep can effect your ability to think,your emotions,and even your immune system. Make sleep a top priority in your life. Try to aim for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. You will find that you can think more clearly,and will be much less irritable.
- Stay energized- Carry small snacks with you. If you are stressed and fatigued,and unable to to eat a regular meal at the proper time,don't deny your body some much needed nutrients. This can actually cause your mood to plummet even farther. Just make sure you stay away from sugary snack foods. Dried fruits,nuts,and raisins make a great on the go snack. Just throw your favorites in a ziplock bag before work in the morning,and your prepared for whatever the day may bring.
Whatever it is that has you down,always remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Think of all the difficult things that you have overcome in the past,and use them as a reminder that you are strong,and you can get through this. Never allow stress to take over your life. You have control, even when you think that you don't. Think back to a time where you were stressed and didn't think you could overcome it.....look at where you are now. You got through it, didn't you? And you will do it again.
Best wishes to you and yours.
More by this Author
It can be round, flat, big, little, jiggly, firm, or wobbly. But no matter what it is, most of us feel that our butt could always use some improvement. And you've definitely come to the right place!
Selective Mutism is basically an extreme social anxiety/shyness. Children who have SM will speak only to certain people outside of the immediate family, or may not speak at all to outsiders...
Plantar fasciitis. The name itself might sound frightening. Home remedies can help if done correctly, and this article will explain some of the more helpful home remedies out there.