Men's Gym Shower Etiquette
As a male triathlete, I spend a fair amount of time in men’s locker rooms. Also, since I frequently swim, I typically take two showers during a single gym visit - one to rinse off before getting in the pool and one to rinse the chlorine off after getting out of the pool, so I have a decent amount of experience with showering at the gym. I currently belong to two gyms - one has an open public shower area with no privacy and the other has individual private showers. This shower etiquette in this article applies to both types of showers. The men's locker room article explains overall locker room etiquette do's and don'ts!
- Do not shave with a razor blade in a public, open shower. You may drop the blade and someone else could step on it. Shave at the sink!
- Do not use a showercap in an open, public shower. Showercaps are for ladies and you'll look like a dork.
- Do not pee in the shower. This is just plain gross. Pee is for a urinal, not the shower. Also, don't think just because you're in a private shower it's acceptable - it's not!
- Do not brush your teeth in the shower - do this at the sink.
- Do not use bars of soap - use a liquid shower gel, like Axe Shower Gel . Bars of soap are antiquated and are dangerous - they can be accidentally dropped and someone can slip on the bar.
- Do not leave your used razor blade on the floor of a shower...this is gross and dangerous. Again, shave at the sink...not in the shower.
- If there are a number of open shower heads, do not take the one right next to someone else. Take the one furthest away. The shower is to clean yourself, not socialize.
- Do not socialize in the shower. I don’t want to talk to another dude naked and neither should you.
- Do not loiter in the shower - clean up and get out of there.
- Do not moan or make "aww" sounds - you're not in a soap commercial.
- Do not sing or whistle in the shower - this is creepy and I don't want to hear another guy singing or whistling in a public shower. I've seen guys loiter while whistling...do this at home, not in public. It doesn't matter how great a singer or whistler you are either.
- Do not look at another guy’s private parts in a shower. Only look in the eyes, if you happen to make contact. Also, if you happen to be across from someone in the shower, try to avoid facing the same direction – if the person across from you is facing you, turn the other way and wash the other side of you.
- If the shower is an open, public shower, do not bend over to pick up something - this is gross and suggestive. A quick squat to retrieve the dropped item is preferred.
More by this Author
Hookworms can cure allergies, asthma, Crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, and ulcerative colitis. The use of parasites, such as hookworms, for treatment is referred to as helminthic therapy. What is hookworm treatment...
I spend a fair amount of time at the gym and in men’s locker rooms. I have witnessed many strange breaches of gym etiquette in these locker rooms. It has become obvious to me that most men know nothing about...
As an athlete, I spend a lot of time in swimming pools - an average of two to three times per week. I swim at both a YMCA and a Gold's gym, but I've noticed people don't have a clue about swimming pool...