Drink Water to Lose Weight
Most people are looking for some quick fix to weight loss. However, it doesn't work that way very often. If you are looking to lose weight by drinking water you may be disappointed that it isn't a fast fix and it won't have you dropping off the pounds. None the less it can make a difference and if combined with a healthy eating plan, decreased numbers of calories, and exercise then you can lose weight by drinking water.
Reasons It Works:
There are a number of reasons that it works.
- Drinking more water will help you feel fuller. When you feel fuller you are less likely to eat. This can be true during meal times, but it can also be true throughout the day when you might be tempted to grab a snack.
- Most people mistake the cues our body gives us to let us know we need more water as cues for hunger. This makes it so that we eat when we really should be drinking.
- Most people are dehydrated. This can be counter productive to weight loss. If you are dehydrated then you are likely to feel more fetiqued, have more pains including back pain and headaches, and you may suffer issues such as high blood pressure. If you stay hydrated then it is more likely that you will feel ready to exercise and you are more likely to eat better.
- Water is also needed in order for your body to get rid of the fats. If your body doesn't have enough water then it will be harder for it to burn the fat that you are working to get rid of.
- Studies have shown that drinking two glasses of water before the meal will make it harder for you to eat as much as you normally would. Additionally, other studies have shown that drinking 1.5 liters of water a day, which is less then the recommended amounts by most , then you can lose five pounds a year without making any other changes. In many times this may not seem a lot, but it can make a huge difference while you are eating better, consuming fewer calories, and doing a bit of exercise.
Using Water as Part of Your Weight Loss
Adding water to your diet can help you lose small amounts of weight all on its own assuming nothing else in your life changes. However, if you move less or eat more calories throughout the year then this can easily be negated because of the small amount of weight that it will cause you to lose.
That being said, if you add water as part of your weight loss plan then you will see better results. You should pair drinking water with exercise and healthy eating. This way you will get the best results from your efforts.
- Coach Danelle K | Here to help you get healthy!
If you are looking for support in losing weight, there are resources out there.
Tips For Drinking More Water
Knowing that you should drink more water is really different then actually drinking more water. The good news is that there are a lot of things that you can do to help get the water that your body needs in order to fill yourself up, keep yourself hydrated, and help your body burn more fat.
- Get a water bottle. By using a reusable water bottle you can have water with you all the time and you can measure out how much you are drinking each day. Each of these things can make a huge difference in how much water you drink.
- Drink water before you reach for a snack. Many people mistake thirst for hunger. Before you reach for a snack or even before you have your next meal you should drink water. This way you may give your body what it needs without turning to food, especially high calorie foods.
- If your thirsty, drink water. While many soda companies would have you reach for the thirst quenching drink first, the truth is these beverages actually dehydrate you more. If your thirsty, you are already dehydrated and should give your body the water that you need.
- Replace other beverages with water. Skip the juice (unless you are juicing it yourself), skip the soda, skip the coffee, and go for water. By doing this you will be giving your body the water that it needs and you will also skip some of the things that are causing it to lose water.
- If you have to, flavor your water. Don't buy a flavoring from a company because many of these contain ingredients that just aren't good for you. Instead use lemon or lime juice to flavor your water. If that doesn't work than add a splash of your favorite 100% juice or even use an extract or essential oil (research your essential oils and make sure they are safe for consumption).
Reusable Water Bottle
Water does the body good and for so many reasons. If you are wanting to lose weight then you should make sure that you stay hydrated. Grab yourself a reusable water bottle and enjoy more water!
More by this Author
Fish oil supplements have become very popular. What are the side effects?
You don't have to do anything special to donate blood, but by eating and drinking well before you do it you will feel better and recover faster.
Everyone knows Listerine as a mouthwash. While it is good for helping you keep your mouth clean and your breath fresh, it has many other uses, some of which are surprising!