Low Sodium Class Minestrone Soup Recipe
Minestrone is a comfort food but depending on what is inside can be loaded with unnecessary salt. Here is a recipe for a classic minestrone soup, low-sodium style.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed with a garlic press
- 6 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled short pasta, such as shells, penne, or macaroni
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) chopped tomatoes, no-salt added variety
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) kidney beans, no-salt added variety
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian dried herb blend, no salt added variety
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, fresh grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot/
- Add in the onion, celery and carrots. Cook over medium heat until carrots and celery are softened and onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Press in the garlic with a garlic press and continue to cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Measure the reduced sodium chicken broth and add to the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, parsley, herbs, and ground pepper. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat about 10 to 15 minutes, until soup ingredients are heated through and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh Parmesan cheese
Use vegetable stock in place of the chicken broth. Reduced sodium beef broth may also be used if desired. Use a variety of beans in the soup. Suggestions include white kidney beans (cannellini beans), garbanzo (chick peas), lima beans or navy beans. If fresh tomatoes are on hand, use those instead. Blanch quickly in boiling water to remove the skins if you would like them removed. Otherwise, simply dice up and add to the pot, juice and all. Use fresh herbs from the garden for flavor, like fresh basil, savory, marjoram and thyme.
More by this Author
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
Have a rhinestone design kit and lost the instructions? Or perhaps received one second-hand or as a hand-me-down? Here are basic instructions on how to use it, how to change the plungers, and how to identify the size of...
You don't need a special embroidery machine to do machine embroidery. Machine embroidery can be done with a standard sewing machine. Here are the steps to complete the task.
No comments yet.