Sinus and Cold Symptom Relief
Sinus and cold sympton relief is here! I knew it would happen eventually. Those sneaky cold germs caught up with me. While I am certainly not a medical professional, there are some things I do to help manage my sinus and cold symptoms and get some relief.
1. The Neti pot is my best friend. It looks like a plastic genie lamp or a small plastic teapot. A warm saline solution is mixed in the Neti pot and poured in one nostril so it comes out the other to irrigate the sinuses. Neti is Sanskrit for "nasal cleansing." It provides wonderful relief but it does take some practice to do it right and become accustomed to pouring salt water through your nose.
2. Saline nasal spray or drops- This also moistens and cleanses the sinuses. These are much easier to use than the Neti pot but don't quite get the same amount of relief. However, they are obviously more portable and can be slipped into a pocket or purse for convenience.
3. Breathing in hot steam from a bowl or in the shower is very soothing for the nose and throat. Don't discount the benefits of a hot bath, too.
4. Consume lots of liquids - warm or cold. Popsicles and the old stand-by (that works!) of chicken soup are my favorites.
5. Tissues with lotion in them are another fabulous invention, especially when blowing the nose constantly.
6. Lip balm or petroleum jelly for chapped lips and nose is a lifesaver.
7. Breathe Right® nasal strips are a great to reduce the effects of a stuffy nose. Stick the strip on the bridge of your nose, following the manufacturer's directions. Be sure to wash and dry your nose first as it won't stick to oily skin. It works amazingly well to open up your nasal passages so that you can sleep. Although they come in a transparent color, I recommend only wearing at home!
- The Official Neti Pot Demo Video - YouTube
The award winning video as seen on TV and around the world- this demo video was created in Honesdale, PA at the Himalayan Institute and has escalated sales o...
Medicinal Remedies - Always consult your physician first!!!
1. Mucinex D® is the best discovery known to man for a cold. The 12 hour name brand variety that you have to sign for at the pharmacy counter is expensive but worth it.
2. Afrin® 12-hour nasal spray is a decongestant with immediate results. Great to use at night when it's difficult to sleep, it's important to only use this as directed because it is very addictive.
3. Chloraseptic® throat spray or lozenges are great for temporarily numbing a sore throat.
4. Cough drops with menthol also sooth irritate throat and nasal passages.
5. Ibuprofin or other pain reliever can ease sinus and throat pain.
6. Rub Vicks VapoRub® on the chest at night to relieve congestion and coughing.
Good luck with the sniffles!
Sinus and cold symptoms can be miserable, especially since there's no magic cure. Hopefully, these suggestions will provide some relief to be able to cope until they're gone.
What's your favorite sinus and cold symptom reliever?See results without voting
More by this Author
Should I or shouldn't I go to my high school class reunion? Tough decision but I recommend that you go. Read these tips to ensure a great time.
There are so many things to do in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, area. There quite a few indoor attractions if the weather doesn't permit doing the outdoor ones. Here are my favorites.
Camping in the Southeast United States offers a variety of experiences, from the beach to mountains. Here are six favorites.