Many Health Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds
After I started taking Fenugreek seeds for my diabetes, I noticed three additional benefits from this. My knee joint pain was gone, my hot flushes and night sweats completely gone and new hair started to grow on my head. I was not aware of all these extra benefits. Then, I started to research about this herb and found a lot more health benefits of this herb.
Fenugreek is a herb and is widely used as a spice in cooking in Asia and southeastern Europe. It gives a distinct flavor to the food. It is an annual plant with lush leaves. It is grown mostly India, central and South America, and Africa. The seeds are brown in color and are a rich source of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamin A, C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and minerals. The active components of the seeds are trigonelline, 4-hydroxyisoleucine, sotolin, gentianine and carpaine.
Health benefits of Fenugreek
There are many health benefits of this herb, some of which are described below:
- Lower blood sugar level: It is the 4-hydroxyisoleucine component of the seeds that stimulate the secretion of insulin which lowers blood sugar. It also slows down the digestive process which reduces sugar absorption. It reduces insulin resistance of cells. Recommended dose for diabetes is 500 mg of fenugreek two times a day.
- Reduce Cholesterol level: Research show that regular consumption of Fenugreek lowers cholesterol level. Reduces the level of LDL cholesterol significantly if used for a period of six months. It reduces the risk of heart attack by lowering cholesterol level. The powdered seeds can be taken as capsule or sprinkled over the food.
- Reduce cardiovascular risk: It reduces the risk of heart attack by lowering cholesterol level. The seed contains galactomannon which is a natural soluble fiber and it lowers cardiovascular disease. Recommended dose is two ounces of the seed throughout the day.
- Relieve arthritis pain: Fenugreek seeds helps with arthritis pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Seeds can be eaten mixed with food or taken as a capsule. It can be applied as a paste over the joints to relieve pain.
- Reduce fever: It can reduce fever. It is really effective when taken with lemon and honey. To treat a fever, take one to two teaspoons of the seeds three times a day mixed with a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice. It can be taken as tea, which can be found in some health food stores.
- Stimulates hair growth: For hair growth, the powdered seeds can be taken with food or applied to the scalp. One capsule three times a day or one teaspoon three times daily. Soak the powdered seeds in water and mix it coconut oil, then apply to the scalp. Keep it for one hour or two, then wash it off. It promotes new hair growth and gives the hair a shiny, healthy look.
- Increases milk production: Studies have shown that after taking the seeds milk production can be increased by 500 percent. It is widely used to promote milk production in lactating mothers. Recommended dose for this to take one capsule of fenugreek seed three times a day.
- Relieves menopausal symptoms: The seeds has a component diosgenin and estrogenic isoflavones, which has similar chemical properties as estrogen. Menopausal symptoms are due to loss of estrogen. So, taking Fenugreek helps to minimize or cure menopausal symptoms. I have benefited from this property of Fenugreek.
- Help with respiratory symptoms: It helps in the early stages of bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis and flu.
- Relieve indigestion: The mucilage in it is helpful for constipation, diarrhoea and indigestion.
- Useful for skin infection: It can be used for treating boils, eczema, abscess etc.
- Prevent cancer: Studies show that diosgenin in Fenugreek has anti-carcinogenic properties. It is an antioxidant. Taking Fenugreek seeds can prevent cancer.
The information in this hub does not replace the medical treatment. Consult your physician before using this.
- Fenugreek: Breastfeeding Mom's Friend?
Is Fenugreek a breastfeeding moms friend? This hub gives a brief background on Fenugreek and how it can help moms who want to breastfeed their baby.
- Diabetes information - know about diabetes before yo...
There are mainly two types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2. Diabetes in adults over 40 years of age is type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is caused by insufficient insulin production by the pancreas or tissue resistance to insulin. Insulin is needed to.
More by this Author
Apple cider vinegar is made by the process of fermentation of apple. There are many health benefits of using cider vinegar. It has multiple vitamins, pectins and minerals such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium,...
Some people start losing too much hair and soon they become partially bald or totally bald. Causes of hair loss are genetic, stress, environmental and using chemicals in hair. Research showed that DHT is the cause of...
Urinary tract infection presents with urgency of urination, frequency, burning, pain and even bleeding. The associated symptoms are fever, chills, nausea or vomting etc. UTI should be taken seriously, because if not...