Maternity Clothing: Free Tutorials and Patterns Round Up
Check out diymaternity.com and make-baby-stuff.com! These are great resources for maternity clothing patterns.
As a 30 something female, I have had quite a few friends who have had babies during the past decade. As such, I have had a lot of friends who have been in the market for maternity clothing. There are a couple primary complaints that I've heard over and over again.
1) It's tough to find clothes that are reasonably priced.
2) it's tough to find clothes that are stylish.
After a number of these discussions, I got inspired to browse for DIY maternity clothing tutorials. I was blown away by what I found. Hopefully you will be, too. For those of you out there who are pregnant and are skilled at making your own clothing, you can save quite a lot of money by making some or most of your maternity clothing. The best part about the wealth of tutorials out there is that you can pick and choose what you like, resulting in some wonderful, stylish clothing that fits your body. Also, after you have read through a half a dozen or so patterns for the same type of maternity clothing, you will get an idea how these patterns work. This will allow you to start making your own alternations with regular clothing by following some of the basic maternity clothing guidelines.
No matter how much clothing you make, you will most likely still be in the market for some purchases as well. Here are a few tips to help you save on your maternity clothing purchases:
- Shop sales. You may find great, pricier items from Target or Motherhood Maternity that are marked way down.
- Shop out of season or at the end of season. Even if you're purchasing t-shirts as you head into fall or winter, you can still layer them with warmer pieces.
- Shop secondhand. Goodwill receives Target merchandise that doesn't sell. You may be able to find significantly discounted brand new maternity pieces from brands such as Liz Lange. Additionally, a lot of used maternity clothing is in excellent condition because women don't wear it for a long time.
- Shop garage / rummage sales and Craigslist. While you're hunting for used baby items, you may find some maternity clothing, too.
- Borrow clothing from similarly sized friends and family members. Again, most used maternity clothing is in good condition.
How to Make a Nursing Maternity Dress
DiY How To Make a Top from 2 Men's Shirts
Shirts / Tops Patterns
- homemade by jill: big tee to maternity tee refashion
- Laura's Blog: How to Sew Your Own Maternity Shirt by Altering a Non-Maternity Pattern
- Me Sew Crazy: Maternity Bib Halter Tank
- Presserfoot.com: Maternity or Not Frock : Materials
- I Make Stuff.: Big Ugly Shirt Refashioned into Maternity!
- Sewing for a Belly: The Ruched Maternity Tshirt mad mim
Make Your Own Maternity Jeans
Pants / Jeans Patterns
- Grosgrain: Maternity Pants Tutorial
- Modest Maven: Converted Maternity Pants Tutorial
- Staker Family Circus: My First Tutorial: Maternity Jeans
- CREATE STUDIO: Easy Maternity Jeans Tutorial
- Maternity dress pants conversion tutorial | Sew Paradise
Yes, a dress pants tutorial! I know that no one ever has too much maternity formal wear.
- DIY Maternity Jeans with tutorial - CLOTHING
- Monkey See, Monkey Do!: Refashioning Pants into Maternity Shorts Part II
EGG Maternity Gathered Skirt - styled in a multitude of way
Check out Etsy for more patterns!
Belly Band Patterns
- How to make a no sew belly band | DIY maternity
check out diymaternity.com for a sewn belly band pattern, too.
- Smashed Peas and Carrots: Stretch Knit Pregnancy Band Tutorial
How to Dress Casually When Pregnant
Are you looking for even more maternity clothing resources? Check this out!
- Getting Ready for Baby - Maternity Clothes
One of the most fun things about being pregnant, besides being pregnant, and being treated with great regard, is going shopping for all the lovely maternity clothes.
- Where to Find Affordable, Stylish, Cute Maternity Clothes
Where to find trendy, stylish maternity clothes? Cute clothes at affordable prices? Shop online at JCPenney, Kohls, Target, and WalMart, and save with use of promo codes.
- Maternity Clothes Guide - Affordable & Discount - Under $15
Maternity clothes can be an expensive investment that you will wear for a short time. Therefore, you may want to purchase items which are discounted or on sale to save money. Here are a few options.
© 2011 Rose Clearfield
More by this Author
Are you a freelance writer looking for new platforms to add to your writing portfolio? I discuss my experience with Zerys, including pay rates, clients, rejection rates, direct orders, and more.
Thousands of couples deal with infertility every year, which may lead to grief and depression. There are a variety of strategies to cope with infertility that can alleviate these issues.
This article is a collection of sample interview questions and answers for special education teachers. It also contains a number of tips and considerations for the interview.