Medicinal Uses of Clitoria ternatea (Shankhpushpi)
What is Clitoria ternatea?
Clitoria ternatea is a creeper plant grown without much care. It is also known as Shankhpushpi in India. Though in India it is used as a medicinal plant it is used as an ornamental plant in some countries.. Its leaves are elliptical and obtuse. The fruits are pods resembling thin peas. The flowers are vivid deep blue in colour. There are white color flowers too. The plants belong to the family Fabaceae. This herb is also known as butterfly pea, blue pea, Cordofan pea and Asian pigeon wings.
Medicinal Uses of Shankhpushpi - Clitoria ternatea
Shankhpushpi is an indigenous plant used in Ayurveda, an ancient system of Indian Medicine. It is non-toxic and does not have any side effects. It is twining perennial herb, mostly grown in Northern part of India.
- They have antibacterial property against E.coli, K.pneumonia, P.aeruginossa.
- Shankhpushpi is used for improving memory, mental power and treating mental fatigue.
- Induces calm and peace and relieves stress and anxiety
- Enhance memory power in the children.
- Used in the treatment of female reproductive disorders.
- Powder of the roots are used for treating whooping cough.
- The extract from the roots of the herb is used as an antidote in treating poisonous bites of insects or of snakes.
- For treating epilepsy and excessive menstruation, 2 ml of Shankhpushpi juice with honey is given.
- Alleviates swelling and pain.
- Juice of Shankhpushpi is used as nasal drops in headaches.
- Used for treating delirium and hysteria.
- Used in thyroid disorders.
- Roots of the plant are used for treating leucoderma.
- Paste of the whole plant is effectively used for treating piles.
- Also used in children for treating bed wetting.
- Also used for treating high blood pressure.
- One study also showed that Shankhpushpi has anti-ulcer effect.
Various studies have been carried out to know the medicinal benefits of Shankhpushpi in India and the results have been published in Indian Journal of Medical Science, 2000 and . J Ethnopharmacol. 1992. (Ref: http://www.raysahelian.com/shankhapushpi.html ).
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Other names of Clitoria ternatea
Clitoria ternatea is also known in different names -
Aparajitha, Koyala (Hindi), Alowe weed, pigeonwings, Sanghu pushpam (Malayalam), Dintena (Telugu), Shankhapushpi, Shankpushpi, Butterfly Pea, Conch flower, Gokarni, Girikarnika, Koyal, Dintena, Asphota, Vishnukranta, Shankhapushpi, Shveta, Mahashveta, Girikarni etc..
View some videos about Clitoria ternatea - the herbal plant.
More by this Author
Find out the wonderful health benefits of the herb Oxalis Corniculata - Puliyarila.
Oregano plant is a medicinal plant with several wonderful health properties.
Like any other country, India too has got her own beliefs and superstitions.