Mediterranean Diet for Men’s Health
Salmon or other coldwater fish can improve your health exponentially
Many a man will suffer, nearly on death’s doorstep before admitting they need to see a doctor. Though women are about 33% more likely to visit the doctor, men are ones more prone to developing life threatening health issues. Getting them to the doctor may take some time, but a change in lifestyle can start them on the right track. The Mediterranean Diet is not a fad. It’s not as much a diet as it is a lifestyle change, and it can benefit men helping them escape major ailments including heart attack, stroke, prostate cancer and even erectile dysfunction. Here are some of the top Mediterranean lifestyle tips to improve men’s health.
- Fruits and Vegetables – One of the Mediterranean Diet’s mottos is more fruits and vegetables, less meat. Diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure are all contributing factors of heart disease and stroke, which men are more likely to suffer from than women. Lowering saturated and trans fat intakes can reduce the risk of these contributing factors. Plus, vegetables like eggplant, and fruits such as apples, grapes and citrus fruits can help lower your LDL cholesterol levels.
- Fiber – Increasing whole grains in your diet can slow down digestion and improve blood sugar levels reducing your risk for type-2 diabetes and obesity. The soluble fiber in oats, barley and bran can lower your risk of heart disease as well.
- Fish Instead of Red Meat – Colon and prostate cancers are major concerns for men, and one of the contributing factors is a high fat diet. Depression and suicide also affects men more than women. Salmon, tuna and other coldwater fish have Omega-3 healthy fats. They not only lower risk of heart attack, stroke and cancer, but even reduce chances of Alzheimer's disease, dementia and depression. Many studies have been done and shown that fish oils and fats can decrease the risk of heart attack and death by up to 30% or more.
- Olive Oil – Pain and inflammation are preventable according to a study out of Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia. It showed that olive oil has a naturally occurring chemical called oleocanthal which helps reduce inflammation, and possibly prevent arthritis and other ailments and diseases. Use it as a substitute for butter, margarine and other oils.
The Mediterranean Diet is an overall healthy way of life. Studies have even shown a link between the Mediterranean diet and improved sexual function as well. Men can improve their quality of life and life expectancy with an improvement in diet, and a more active lifestyle.
Group Step Aerobics
- How to Exercise with Group Step Aerobics
That's right! Group step is even for men! Build muscle and lose weight at the same time with resistance and cardio training in one. Plus, you're outnumbered...twenty ladies to one man...can we say BONUS???
Exercise You Can Do in 30 Minutes or Less
- 10 Exercise Options in 30 Minutes or Less
No time to exercise? Try some high intensity routines that take under 30 minutes and get better results than an hour on the treadmill! Men can even benefit!
No comments yet.