Meet the Real SpongeBob
Spongebob is not only a fictional cartoon character. He is real.. You may not be able to see him but I know he can feel that you're there.
Look around you. Can you feel what others around you are feeling? Are you sensitive to your surroundings? If you lay your hand on a person, can you tell what emotions are lodged inside them and what issues are they dealing with?
If you answer yes to the above questions, then you could be an Empath.
What is Empathy?
Empathy is the ability to read and understand people feelings.
Empaths are highly sensitive and finely tuned instruments to emotions. They have the ability to scan another person’s thoughts and feelings and many of these Empaths are unaware of how this actually works. They are very sensitive and experience the feelings of other people.
Empaths can sense the truth and they act compassionately to help others, making that person at ease and not alone. It’s like an Empath can understand them and can listen to them. They are great listeners and people are drawn naturally to their ability to listen and understand.
Since Empaths are highly sensitive to the emotions of other people, they are good in absorbing these people’s problems and worries. They are also referred to as “Psychic Energy Sponge”, a person who unintentionally picking up energy from others.
They carry their Auric Field or what you called as "Aura" pushed out from their physical body too far and it loses its ability to protect them. When it is pushed too far, instead of protecting them, it begins to act like a magnet and draws everyone problems into their own Auric field and therefore into their own experience. It is not healthy and is extremely exhausting, with the effects of other people’s problem that they think their own.
There is yet another disturbing side to this situation. When an Empath absorbs the emotional baggage of one person, they become frustrated and angry and feel unappreciated and will be stuck solving that problem in addition to their own. They feel that they have to do something, which is not healthy and correct. They cannot do the work for other people.
Is it a Curse or a Blessing?
Some people say the Gift of Empathy is a blessing. Others would say it’s a curse. Or it can be a double-edged sword, both a curse and a blessing. Why? One, you have the ability to sense and intuit exactly what is needed to be done to make someone comfortable. The other one is you lose track of what you need because you spend your time finding and caring for other’s comfort.
Empaths literally carry the world on their shoulders; I mean they absorb the energy and emotions around them. They usually feel drained after being with a crowd. So they tend to be alone because sometimes they are afraid to be exhausted and drained of their energy. So for this reason, they are usually introvert kind of person.
Signs that you’re an Empath:
- You find it difficult to watch the news or distressing images because you feel their pain, as if you are them.
- You have the tendency to say yes to every request and demands of other people without thinking whether you actually want to do it. It is only afterwards that you remember yourself and your needs because you’re drawn to their personal experiences and needs and you cannot say no.
- You find it difficult to present yourself and your own feelings when talking to other people. It is because they’re busy exploring their aura and not your own.
- You tend to be shy and self conscious because you’re very aware of the effect of your words on other people and their feelings in response.
- You feel the world’s suffering and wishing you could do something to help.
- You feel highly sensitive and emotional with the characters on a novel, movies, plays and books. Even if they’re not real, you can still feel how they felt.
- You feel responsible for how others feel and going out to help them feel better.
- You have the tendency to put your needs on the last list and other people's need on the first.
- You feel anxious with gatherings and are not ease with crowds because you always feel tired after that.
- You are often described by others as sensitive and emotional kind of person.
- Your friends are comfortable around you and you’re the one they called when they needed advice or they have problems – because they feel safe and at ease when venting out to you.
- You seem to take the physical pain of others.
I’m an Empath; or you could say, a real SpongeBob. And it’s kinda hard being one for sometimes; I could find myself literally crying in the middle of the street while watching an old man with an empty can on his hand.
© 2012 Mycee. All Rights Reserved.
More by this Author
How amazing... leaves can really cure.
Oysters can offer an array of benefits on our health. But sometimes, this delectable, exotic food can also have a bad effect to our body. Find out more about the good and bad health effects of eating Oysters.
Let us dig deeper on how smoke belching can affect the environment as well as human’s health and how can we give our fair share in reducing air pollution.