Memory Care in San Diego
Memory care is the term used to describe the special attention needed by those who suffer from progressive memory loss due dementia and diseases like Alzheimer's. When seeking care options for loved ones suffering from such progressive memory loss in the southern California area, memory care in San Diego offers a variety of options.
Why Memory Care Is Needed
When people suffer from progressive memory loss, eventually it becomes unsafe for them to live unsupervised. Along with supervision, they will also gradually need more assistance with day to day activities. Whether you care for the person yourself, have a professional caregiver come into your home, or choose to find a facility to watch over them, it is important to understand the importance of providing memory care to help the memory-impaired maintain a level of independence while keeping them safe and secure.
Memory Care provided in a professional setting along with medication, can help some Alzheimer's patients hold on to their memories for longer. "This is accomplished in the memory care setting," according to Lory Bright-Long, MD, CMD, with the American Medical Directors Association.
Memory care communities often include special care units (SCUs) which provide residents with support 24/7 and offer activities that ensure quality of life in a safe setting. Schedules offer structure, activities are supervised, and programs are designed to enhance memory. Socialization also occurs in a natural setting at meals, in common areas and during activities.
Where to Find Memory Care in San Diego
There is no shortage of facilities for the elderly in the San Diego area. You can find professionals who come into your home as caregivers, assisted living scenarios from community settings to board and care homes, as well as skilled nursing facilities equipped with an SCU. The work comes in deciding which venue is right for your loved one.
To help you make the right choice, talk with your primary healthcare provider about the level of care your loved one needs and request a professional assessment. Equipped with this information, you'll have a place to start.
If your loved one is in the early stages of memory loss, then it may be possible to care for them in your home. However, during this time, it is important to continue to do your research and get your name on various waiting lists, because as the disease robs your loved one of their cognitive abilities, the level of care and assistance needed will increase.
- How to Choose an Assisted Living Community in San Diego
Trying to sort through all the decisions that need to be made can be challenging with so many options available for assisted-senior living.
- Board and Care Homes in San Diego
Services differ from one board and care home to another, and it is not uncommon to find homes that offer specialized care such as for Alzheimer's care.
- Alzheimer’s Care Options in Orange County
Alzheimer's is a progressive disease and the amount and type of care needed to care for patients changes as the disease progresses. Alzheimer's care options in Orange County are available to meet this need.
- Alzheimer Care in San Diego County
Alzheimer's is a devastating disease and finding the right care for loved ones can be overwhelming. Take the time to have a professional assessment done to determine the needs of your loved one to help narrow your search for Alzheimer care in San Die
List of Memory Care in San Diego
This list can help get your search for a memory care facility off the ground:
- Aacorn Oaks, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Abigail's Place Board & Care for the Elderly: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- ActivCare at Bressi Ranch, Carlsbad: Assisted Living, Alzheimer's Care
- Aegis of Dana Point, Dana Point: Assisted Living, Alzheimer's Care
- Aliso Laguna Villa, Aliso Viejo: Alzheimer's Care
- Avondale Family Care Home, San Clemente: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Award Manor, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Bay View Senior Accommodations, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Belmont Village at Sabre Springs, San Diego: Assisted Living, Retirement Community, Alzheimer's Care
- Belmont Village Cardiff by the Sea, Cardiff By The Sea: Assisted Living, Retirement Community, Alzheimer's Care
- Berland Home Care II, Chula Vista: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Bosworth Gardens RCFE, El Cajon: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Boundless Care for the Elderly, Murrieta: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Butterfly Gardens II, La Jolla: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- By the Sea Inc, Imperial Beach: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Care Plus Mansion RCFE, El Cajon: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Coronado Retirement Village, Coronado: Assisted living and memory care community. Alzheimer's Care
- Decatur Cottage, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Del Cerro Manor, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Emeritus at Carmel Valley, San Diego: Assisted Living, Retirement Community, Alzheimer's
- Emeritus at Oceanside, Oceanside: Assisted Living, Alzheimer's Care
- Eternal Sunshine Care, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Harbor View Chateau, Assisted Living, San Diego: Alzheimer's Care
- Lilac Chateau RCH, Santee: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
- Soledad Senior Care, San Diego: Residential Home, Alzheimer's Care
Choosing the right facility for your loved one is an important decision. Knowing they are in capable and caring hands will help you have peace of mind during a difficult transition. Take the time to do your homework so you can make the right choice.
More by this Author
Take this little quiz to find out just what you know about the classic Christmas movies.
Baby cockatiels grow from an inch-long hatchling to adult size in just six weeks. It takes 8-10 days for their eyes to open, but the color of their eyes...even closed eyes offer a clue as to the baby's future color.
Bird owners have mixed feelings about wing clipping. Is it mean to clip your bird's wings? After all they are born to fly. To answer that question, let's take a closer look at how to clip wings and the reasons it is...
No comments yet.