More Dukan Diet Recipes and Tips
So this hub is going to help you find ways to overcome this problem and make following the Dukan Diet just that little bit easier. You may also like to read my other hubs on the Dukan Diet
- Dukan Diet Recipes where I list all the recipes in one capstone hub and then provide you with a link to one of the four other hubs in which the recipes can be found.
- Dukan Diet Recipes - Poultry
- Dukan Diet Recipes - Meat
- Dukan Diet Recipes - Fish and Seafood
- Dukan Diet Recipes - Starters and Desserts
- Tips and Recipes for the Dukan Diet
- The Pros and Cons of the Dukan Diet
Low Carb Cauliflower Rice
Low Carb "Rice"
Cauliflower is a truly excellent low carb rice substitute. I've provided a video demonstration and a recipe to help you on your way.
- A food processor,
- a paring knife and
- Ceramic or glass bowl
- A clean white cauliflower with tight florets
1. Wash the cauliflower removing and discarding the outer leaves and cut into 1/2" squares.
2. Select the shredder option for your food processor and shred the cauliflower into the bowl
Note: Shred too finely and you'll get mush. Shred too coarsely and you'll get strips not "rice"!
3. Place in the microwave and heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave stir gently and replace in the microwave for a further minute cooking
4. Stir gently again and serve.
Note: No additional water is needed when microwaving the cauliflower.
Low Carb "Pasta"
One of the best known low carb "pasta" alternatives is spaghetti squash and as its name implies it provides an alternative to real spaghetti as when cooked the flesh of this vegetable turns into spaghetti-like ribbons. There are many methods of preparing spaghetti squash but my favorite is steaming.
Steamed Spaghetti Squash
- Sharp knife
- Spaghetti squash
- Wash the squash and cut it in half.
- Clean out all the seeds and fibers.
- Cut the squash into 8 to 10 pieces and place in the steamer skin side facing up.
- Steam until tender and a knife cuts into the flesh easily (10 to 15 minutes).
- Remove from the steam and allow to cool for few minutes.
- Using a fork, scoop out the flesh which will come out in strands and can then be used in your favorite recipe.
Other substitutes you can use are zucchini (courgettes) which can be spiralled with a food processor into tasty low-carb, low-calorie "spaghetti", to be lightly steamed or fried or carrots grated or cut into long strips to use as "taggliatelle" or "fettucine".
Low Carb French Fries
Low Carb "Potato"
There are many vegetables that can be used as a potato substitute.
- Potato chips (crisps) can be substituted by drying a number of different vegetables either in the oven on a low heat or using a food dehydrator. Carrots, beetroots and parsnips make particularly colorful chips.
- Caulflower or celeriac or celery root make very acceptable replacements for creamed or mashed potatoes.
- Low carb replacements for french fries (chips) can be achieved by oven roasting celeriac or celery root in a small amount of olive oil. On the Dukan Diet you are allowed one teaspoon of olive oil or rapeseed oil a day.
Other Low Carb Alternatives
The video to the side shows how to cook and use flat portbello mushrooms as burger buns when eating your turkey or beef burgers.
Another bread subsitute is of course the Dukan pancake which can be used as a wrap for many different fillings.
Sweet pancakes can also be made. See my recipe in Dukan Diet Recipes - Starters and Desserts.
More by this Author
The Dukan Diet is one of the most popular diet and lifestyle plans and as it says on the cover "Five million French People can't be wrong". This Dukan Diet Recipes - Meat hub is one of my five Dukan Diet...
The Dukan Diet was one of the most popular diet and lifestyle plans of 2010 and as it says on the cover "Five million French People can't be wrong". With the North American launch in April it looks as if...
This Dukan Diet Tips and Recipes hub is written to help anyone on or thinking about starting Dr Pierre Dukan's highly successful weight loss formula the Dukan Diet. This diet is based around the principles of...