Mosambi, Sweet Lime, Sweet Lemon Or Citrus limetta And Its Health Benefits
Mosambi, Sweet Lemon, Sweet Lime Or Citrus limetta
Latin Name : Citrus limetta
Common Names : , Persian lime, sweet limetta, sweet lime, sweet lemon, Mediterranean sweet lemon, etc.
Indian Names : Mosambi, mausambi, musambi etc.
Mosambi or sweet lemon is native to India. Today it is grown in Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Southeast Asia, the Mediterranean, tropical America, in parts of Florida and California.
Sweet lime or mosambi is believed to be a hybrid of a Mexican type lime and a sweet lemon.
Mosambi, citrus limetta, sweet lemons, sweet limesClick thumbnail to view full-size
About The Mosambi,Sweet Lime, Sweet Lemon Or Citrus limetts Plant
The Mosambi tree is a small tree growing to a height of about 25 feet. The branches are smooth, branch irregularly and bear numerous thorns. It bears fragrant white flowers and the unripe green fruit turns to yellow on ripening. The fruits ripen only on the tree and once they are picked they do not ripen further. Hence only ripe fruits should be bought.
The ripeness of the fruit can be judged by scratching the surface of the skin with the fingernail and if the fruit is ripe the aroma of the essential oils can be smelled instantly. The mosambi should also feel heavy for its size. The skin when pressed should feel spongy and springy, and have a sheen to it and should not be hard and dry. Mosambi fruit is the size of a tennis ball.
The trees start bearing fruits when they are about 5 to 7 years old and are at their peak production from 10 to 20 years of age. They produce about 300-1000 fruits per year.
The taste of mosambi is slightly tart to extremely sweet when ripe. The juice is not acidic though it belongs to the Citrus family and the to those who are not used to consuming this fruit it might appear bland as compared to oranges.
In India, mosambi or sweet lime is available during the months of July and August and also from November to March. They can be seen sold widely across the country.
See how mosambi juice is made by vendors
Uses Of Mosambi
The sweet lemon or mosambi fruit is generally eaten as a fresh fruit or served as a juice. It is a very popular juice in India and is commonly sold by roadside stalls or mobile vendors during summer. It is juiced fresh and served. Sick people are usually advised mosambi juice by doctors.
The peel of the fruit contains essential oils. Thee tree is also used for ornamental purposes as well as a graft stock or rootstock for growing sweet oranges and other Citrus species.
Nutrients in Mosambi
- Low in calories; just 43 calories per 100 grams.
- Cholesterol, fat and sodium free.
- Contains high amounts of potassium; 490 mg/100 grams.
- Good amount of dietary fibre; 12% of daily value per 100 grams.
- Rich in copper, iron, calcium, phosphorus and folates.It contains Iron - 0.7 mg, phosphorus - 30 mg, calcium - 40 mg per 100 grams.
- Contains 1.5% of protein/100 grams.
- Very rich in Vitamin C; provides 50 mg/100 grams.
- Contains 20 IU of Vitamin A.
- Contains flavonoids and other phenolics, carotenoids and limonoids.
Health Benefits Of Mosambi, Sweet Lime, Sweet Lemon Or Citrus limetta
Mosambi has cardiovascular, anti cancer, anti platelet, anti hyperglycemic, anti septic, anti viral, anti inflammatory activity and benefits. Some of the health benefits of mosambi or sweet lemon are :
- Mosambi has high vitamin C content. It dissolves crystals that form in the arthritic joints. and prevents and treats scurvy.
- Mosambi juice is one of the most alkalizing foods and therefore is beneficial for those suffering from excess of acidity.
- A drink made from mosambi and whey is a good coolant for the brain and the nervous system.
- Mosambi is good for the treatment of brain fever and mental issues. It acts as a wonderful sedative as well.
- Mosambi increases appetite, purifies blood and raises sperm count. It cools the body and alleviates thirst.
- The flavonoids stimulate the digestive system and increase the flow of digestive juices and bile. It neutralizes acids in the stomach as it is very alkaline in nature. It also flushes the toxins out of the body.
- The dietary fiber helps in relieving constipation. The roughage aids in the peristaltic movement.
- Mosambi has anti congestive properties and hence cleans and keeps the respiratory problems at bay.
- The antioxidant vitamin C reduces inflammations and swelling and reduces symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- The flavonoids in mosambi also reduce the risk of stroke, heart diseases and cancer. The limonoids in sweet lime also fight different types of cancers like those of the skin, mouth, stomach, lungs, colon and breast.
- Vitamin C boosts immunity and prevents colds, coughs etc.
- Sweet lemon boosts the liver function and is exceptionally good for treating jaundice.
Some Ayurvedic Remedies With Mosambi Or Sweet Lime
- For Swelling and Pain in legs and hands
Mix equal quantities of mosambi juice and castor oil. Massage the affected area with this mixture.
- To Lose Weight
Add some lukewarm water to mosambi juice. Now stir in a tsp of honey and drink it on empty stomach every morning.
- In Diabetes
Mix 2 tsp mosambi juice in 4 tsp amla juice. Add 1 tsp honey. Take on empty stomach every morning.
- For Strength
Drink mosambi juice for giving strength to the body, brain and heart. Children can be given mosambi juice mixed in milk.
- For Constipation
Early morning everyday, take mosambi juice mixed with warm water.
- For Skin diseases
Drink mosambi juice as it cleanses the blood and benefits in diseases of the skin.
- In Colds
Mix 5 drops of ginger juice in a cup of sweet lemon juice for instant relief.
- In Asthma
- Mix 1 part mosambi juice with half part water; add some cumin seeds and dry ginger powder and drink. It provides relief from asthmatic cough.
- For Nausea & Feverishness
Mix equal quantities of fresh mosambi juice and tender coconut water and drink.
- In Gastric Ulcer
- Mix juice of mosambi and lemon and drink.
- For mouth Ulcers And Bad Breath
Gargle with warm water and drink a mixture of mosambi juice with warm water.
- For Pregnant Women
Drink mosambi juice. It provides a lot of calcium which benefits both the growing fetus and the mother to be.
- For Facial Blemishes, Pimples and Black spots
Apply fresh juice of mosambi on the affected areas at bedtime. Wash with warm water next morning.
- In Diarrhea
Drink mosambi juice twice a day for relief.
- For High Blood Pressure & Cholesterol
Drink mosambi juice as it reduces cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure.
- For Dehydration
Add a pinch or two of salt and some sugar to fresh mosambi juice and drink.
- For Bloody Amoebic Dysentery
Drink mosambi or sweet lime juice.
- For Cracked Lips
Rub mosambi juice 2-3 times a day on the lips. It reduces the darkness of lips.
- For Stomach problems, Nausea, Indigestion and Dizziness
Drink mosambi juice frequently through the day.
- For Pimples
Apply ground peel of mosambi on the face.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Do You Eat Mosambi/Sweet Lemon Or Drink Its Juice?See results without voting
Please Rate The Hub. Thanks!
- Extracts of peel of Citrus limetta effective against dengue fever vector, Aedes aegypti, and malarial vector, Anopheles stephensi
- C. limetta fruit peel demonstrates a potential antihyperglycemic effect which may be attributed to its antioxidant property
- Aqueous extract of citrus limetta prevents the rise of blood pressure
- Anti tumor potential in citrus limetta fruit peel
Some Of My Other Hubs On Healthy Foods
- Health Benefits Of The Cooling Prunes Fruit
Dried Prunes may not be the among the handsomest of fruits with their dark and wrinkly appearance but they have amazing health benefits. Read on to learn about the various health benefits of prunes..
- Peach Nutritional And Health Benefits
Peach fruit has a delicious taste and a delicate aroma along with lots of nutrition. Now read about the many health and nutritional benefits of peaches...
- Passion Fruit - Nutrition And Health Benefits
Passion fruit is an exotic tropical fruit that has many benefits. Learn about some very important nutrient, nutritional and health benefits of passion fruit by reading on...
- Sweet Basil, Sabja Or Tukmaria Seeds And Their Health Benefits
Sweet Basil, sabja or tukmaria seeds are the seeds of the plant Ocimum basilicum. Find out the health benefits of these tiny seeds that a storehouse of many importants nutrients as well...
- Bathua, Lambs Quarters Or Chenopodium album - Nutrition And Health Benefits
Bathua, lambs quarters or white goosefoot is a weed that is detested by crop cultivators but is a source of many nutrients and provides many health benefits. Learn about the various health benefits of bathua by reading on...
Peeling of the Sweetlime Rind
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Singhara, water caltrop, or Indian water chestnut is a popular snack, and its flour is used by Hindus in fasts kept during festivals like Navratri. Learn about its many health benefits.
Watermelon is a very healthy fruit—in moderation. It is a good source of potassium and vitamins. Side effects of over-eating, however, include diarrhea and intestinal disturbances.
Apples are a crunchy and tasty fruit. Moreover they are beneficial in many lifestyle and other diseases. To know more about the amazing Apple and Apple juice facts and health benefits, read on.