Multiple Benefits of Interval Training: Boost Metabolism, Accelerate Weight Loss, and Improve Cardiovascular Fitness
Interval training is a unique form of metabolism-boosting workout that involves alternating short periods of intense efforts followed by short periods of low efforts. This can also be termed as an extreme cardiovascular workout that helps in accelerating weight loss. Interval training was developed in 1940s-1950s in Germany. The developer of this training workout was Emil Zatopek (the legendary Czech athlete and best long-distance runner of his times). After that, this workout became popular around the world due to its extreme endurance and weight loss benefits plus metabolism-boosting capabilities.
In the initial phases, interval training was used as a form of high-intensity resistance training and was only the choice of runners, athletes, and sportsmen, but due to its extreme success, various fitness freaks around the world have adopted it. It has also become the top choice of various weight loss enthusiasts who have been constantly looking for different ways to burn fat, lose weight, enhance endurance, and boost their body’s metabolism all at the same time. Interval training combined with aerobic sports provides better results in terms of improving cardiovascular fitness and overall body strength.
Interval training is performed in four different phases:
Phase 1. Warming up done for 10 minutes
Before starting interval training, it is necessary to warm up the body at a very slow pace for preventing any possible injury during the upcoming phases. This also helps in achieving optimum psychological level of concentration and preparing the body for exercise.
Phase 2. Strenuous exercises done for 35 to 40 minutes
This phase consists of high-intensity high-repetition workouts including aerobic work done for 35 to 40 minutes. This is the time where you most benefit by burning calories, building cardiovascular fitness, and boosting metabolism.
Phase 3. Exercises done at a slow pace for 10 to 15 minutes
This phase is used for lowering heart rate and to help the body to recover and recuperate from the strenuous labor. This helps tone the body focusing on light exercises. The idea is to work a different muscle group at each break to get full physical work benefit.
Phase 4. Stretching performed for 5 to 10 minutes
You must always remember that stretching after exercise is essential for relaxing strained muscles so that they are able to repair themselves. Stretching after intensive workouts also helps in returning back of normal sinus rhythm.
Interval Training for Beginners – Recommendations and Cautions
- It is preferable to start with lower intensities for people who don’t have a strong aerobic base. Gradually, your body can accustom itself to intensive physical labor.
- Interval training is like any other high-intensity workout where the risk of injury is significantly higher than lower-intensity workouts, so this should be performed with caution.
- Drink some water during the session to stay hydrated.
- If you are new in interval training, you must try to follow the advice of a trained instructor to perform the exercises correctly and prevent any possible injury.
- If you are suffering from a heart condition or have a health problem, consult your doctor and ask him whether you can perform this activity or not.
Multiple Benefits of Interval Training
- Interval training allows a significant improvement in endurance.
- Interval training improves the coordination of rapid and intense movements.
- Interval training improves aerobic and respiratory capacity of the body.
- Because of intensive aerobic work involved with interval training, it is an effective strategy in accelerating weight loss by burning calories.
- Interval training is the best all-day metabolic boost.
- It is an intensive training that enables you to get in shape in no time if you follow it regularly.
- Interval training helps in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
More by this Author
Getting pregnant with irregular periods is not very easy but not impossible at the same time. The first thing which comes in everyone’s mind who is reading this topic is that a women can get pregnant easily if she...
Do you like people doing Roman chair, leg curls, and squats in the gym. Don't be shy. You can also do them. Read the tips here. Enjoy exercising.
Are you afraid of driving a standard transmission car? If yes then read this article that I have written especially for beginners who want to kick start driving a standard transmission car. I have provided step by step...