My 20 Life Choices
Resolutions May Fade, but Choices are Forever
Ever year we make resolutions that we do not keep because we think we can always start over again the next year. For this reason I no longer believe in resolutions. Resolutions have repercussions. There is guilt when we fail to fulfill our resolves for each New Year. I don’t want to live my life feeling guilty all the time.
Life consists of choices, and I believe that we must make choices about the kind of life we want to live. These choices should be ingrained within us for the rest of our lives. The choices we make must become a part of who we are if they are to last a lifetime.
I want to assess each year I live, and want to make different choices as to how I can improve my life. These choices are how I plan to live and adapt to my environments. They are not in any specific order. That is not how life is lived. You come across a situation, and you make a choice about how you will respond to it.
I didn’t limit my choices, nor did I add to the list for an even number. The more I thought about the choices I want to make as an individual, the more I added to the list.
- I choose to be happy. I know that it will not always be possible. But by making happiness a choice, I have something to hold on to when darkness or depression seeks to fill my days and nights.
- I choose to be independent to the best of my abilities. I want to be able to live in harmony with others, not to depend on them for my livelihood. “God Rest the Child Who Has His Own” will be my philosophy. I plan to always have a way to live my own life my own way so that my dependence on others is a choice and not a necessity.
- If I need the help of others, I choose to limit that help as much as possible. I do not want to become a burden to whomever I ask for help.
- I choose to stay away from negative people. To avoid those people who have a mean spirit and like bringing other people down with their negative attitude(s)
- I intend to deal with my infirmities. I will not let my physical ailments keep me from being mobile.
- I intend to eat better so that I may conquer those diseases that keep me infirmed, on medication, and overweight. I intend to make food choices conducive to being able to feel better and maintain a healthy body.
- I choose to appreciate the life that I have now while making those choices that can improve my appreciation of my life.
- I choose to have fun when it’s possible. Whether I experience it myself, or watch others have fun, I believe that the enjoyment of life is healthy.
- I plan to laugh as often as I can
- I choose to deal with the body I have and accept it. That doesn’t mean I won’t try to improve my appearance. My choice to accept what I look like will help me feel better about myself. If others like my attitude and want to be around me, that will be a bonus.
- I choose to keep busy every day, even when I don’t feel well. Even a little bit of effort to keep active as I age will help me in the long run
- I choose that no matter how old I become, to keep following my dreams and aspirations. I choose to do whatever I can to work toward achieving those plans for my life
- No matter how I am treated, I choose to have a kind disposition. I choose not to let others’ mistreatment of me define who I am
- I will always love my cat Tuxedo
- I choose to continue my spiritual journey and follow the teachings of God and Jesus Christ as the mapping of my life
- I choose to listen more and pay more attention as people speak. I will let them finish their sentences before I interrupt them with my own thoughts. If I forget those thoughts I will choose to let them go
- I choose to not beat myself up so much when I fall below my personal expectations or disappointments. I choose to wake up each morning and begin a new day, continuing to act on the choices I have made in my life
- I will treat procrastination and fear of failure as the destroyers of dreams
- I choose to manage my money in a sensible manner. I will buy what I need, avoid wasteful purchases, and save from every check I receive. After that, I will enjoy those things I can afford to do
- I reserve the right to make changes to my choices as I live and grow as a person
What are your life choices? What would you like them to be for a healthier, fun, and productive life? If you made such a list, what would you include? Aren't choices better thean resolutions? Make your list of choices, and see how you fare at the end of each year.
More Carolyn2008 Articles
- Realize Your Dreams with Positive Action
Are you unhappy with your current life? Do you have dreams that you feel will never be realized? What is your passion? This is a call to action for anyone who needs help realizing your dreams. You can have a more satisfied life. But it will need plan
- Companies Should Have a Paid Pet Bereavement Policy
A company pet bereavement policy is good business. Companies should give their employees the chance to grieve the death or loss of a pet in private, not at work.
- How to Lose a Girlfriend
Are you sick and tired of your girlfriend, but she's not picking up on your hints? Not to worry - There are a variety of ways to tell the one you no longer love that it's over.
- Hold the Bus Seats for the Elderly and Disabled
Chivalry and common courtesy may be dead on public transportation these days, but the elderly and handicapped still deserve respect on a bus or train. They are entitled to consideration and priority when there are empty seats. Especially when those s
More by this Author
Communicating with the tenant is critical to the tenant/landlord relationship. Both parties must understand and respect the other. When there is a problem because the tenant does not follow the lease, take the time to...
While trying to succeed at Life, sometimes friendships suffer and die. Then when you get around to them again, they may have moved on from wanting to re-connect. We have to learn how to accept it when old friendships...
Think about what you are doing if you require a co-signer. You expect the person who will not actually live in the apartment to have better credentials than the proposed tenant. A co-signer is an addition to the lease....