Nasty Infectious Diseases You Want To Avoid - Botulism

 Botulism is the most common type of the infectious disease known as botulism is a food-borne illness involving the toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, which is both rare and very deadly (two thirds of those afflicted die). Another type is known as "infant botulism," an uncommon illness that strikes infants under the age of one. Because botulism is technically a poisoning, not an infection, the patient cannot infect others even though the bacteria will be excreted in feces for months after the illness.

Botulism is more common in the United States than anywhere else in the world, owing to the popularity of home canning; there are about 20 cases of food-borne botulism poisoning each year. Botulism got its name during the 1800s from botulus, the Latin word for "sausage," because of a wave of poisoning from contaminated sausages.

Cause - Botulism toxins are a type of neurotoxin that attaches to the nerves, blocking the messages that are sent to the muscles. The C. botulinum spores (latent form of the bacteria) are found in air, water, and food; they are harmless until deprived of oxygen (such as inside a sealed can or jar). If conditions are favorable, the spores will start to generate and multiply, producing one of the most deadly toxins known, an astounding seven million times more deadly than cobra venom! Cases of botulism from commercially canned food are rare because of strict health standards enforced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, although some people have gotten botulism from eating improperly handled commercial pot pies. In Canada, cases have been reported from seal meat, smoked salmon, and fermented salmon eggs. Most cases occur during home canning. Canned foods that are highly susceptible to contamination include green beans, beets, peppers, corn, and meat. Although the spores can survive boiling, the ideal temperature for their growth is between 78 and 96 degrees F. They can survive freezing. Botulism can also occur if the C. botulinum bacteria in the soil enters the body through an open wound, although this is extremely rare.

Symptoms - Onset of symptoms may be as soon as three hours or as late as 14 days after ingestion, although most symptoms usually appear between 12 and 26 hours. The first sign is usually muscle weakness beginning with the head, often leading to double vision. This is followed by problems in swallowing or speaking, followed by the paralysis of the muscles needed to breathe. Other symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. The earlier the onset of symptoms, the more severe the reaction. Symptoms generally last between three to six days; death occurs in about 70 percent of untreated cases, usually from suffocation as a result of respiratory muscle paralysis. In infants, symptoms may go unrecognized by parents for some time until the poisoning has reached the critical stage.

Diagnosis - Large commercial labs or state health labs can test for the toxin in food, blood, or stool; it's also possible to grow the bacteria from food or stool in a special culture. The diagnosis is most often made by an astute health care practitioner who recognizes the signs and symptoms. In an outbreak, the first victim to become sick usually dies.

Treatment - Prompt administration of the antitoxin (type ABE botulinus) lowers the risk of death to 10 percent. Most untreated victims will die. The Centers for Disease Control is the only agency with the antitoxin, and it makes the decision to treat. Local health departments should be called first for this information. While induced vomiting may help following ingestion of food known to contain botulism toxin, it may not be complete. Because the disease can occur with only a small amount of toxin, botulism may still develop. Patients are usually put on a respirator to ease breathing. In infant botulism, if symptoms are present it is often too late to administer antitoxin, since the damage has probably already been done.

Prevention - It is easy to prevent, since botulism is killed when canned food is boiled at 100 degree C for one minute, or if the food is first sterilized by pressure cooking at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes. If you're going to eat it, you should heat it first! While the tightly fitted lids of home-canned food will provide the anaerobic environment necessary for the growth of botulism toxins, the spores will not grow if the food is very acidic, sweet, or salty (such as canned fruit juice, jams and jellies, sauerkraut, tomatoes, and heavily salted hams.) Even though botulism spores are invisible, it's possible to tell if food is spoiled by noticing if jars have lost their vacuum seal; when the spores grow, they give off gas that makes cans and jars lose the seal. Jars will burst or cans will swell. Any food that is spoiled or whose color or odor doesn't seem right inside a home-canned jar or can should be thrown away without tasting or even sniffing, since botulism can be fatal in extremely small amounts.

More by this Author


Comments 3 comments

teendad profile image

teendad 6 years ago from Richmond, VA

Yes, I think I'll pass on botulism! I'm always afraid of home-canned goods!


Hal Licino profile image

Hal Licino 6 years ago from Toronto Author

Yup, you certainly don't want to mess with botulism! Thanks!


contraindicaciones botox 4 years ago

This is a very useful post! I started to read your blog several months ago and truing to visit every single week. Thank you for sharing such a useful info.Regards,

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working