Natural Hangover Remedies
Oh No! A Hangover!
It's the day after the day before and you .....feel.....awful. There is an entire junior high school band playing off key in your head, your mouth has been thoroughly coated with ooblek and the cat has obviously put on about two thousand pounds because when it walks across the floor the sound is deafening. Your stomach is apparently riding a roller coaster without you and your eyes refuse to focus. You, my friend, have the grandfather of all hangovers. You can lay in bed all day and be miserable or you can try some of the following remedies which should have you up and running a marathon in no time at all. Your choice.
Keep It From Happening in the First Place!
Keep a hangover from happening in the first place by being smart. Here are some ways to prevent a hangover before it begins.
- Try to drink a lot of water before the party and while you are partying try to drink a glass of water for each alcoholic beverage you knock back.. Dehydration is one of the worst offenders when it comes to a hangover, because alcohol dehydrates you in the worst way.
- Stay away from wine, or go organic if possible, the sulfates in some wines can trigger not only a hangover but migraine as well.
- Drink tomato juice between drinks.
- Don't drink on an empty stomach but eat a meal before the party and then nibble during the party. Protein, like shrimp and cheese, is a good bet to keep you feeling your best. In this case, more is better, and you can diet tomorrow.
- Drink either wine or beer/mixed drinks but don't switch back and forth between the two. The mixtures will cause problems as your body tries to handle two different types of chemicals.
- Avoid carbs. They speed up the absorption of alcohol.
- Take lots of antioxidants the day before. Antioxidants can keep you from having such a bad hang-over by keeping your liver cleaned out. Eating a diet high in potassium during the day can help as well
It's Too Late- You Have A Hangover
But you forgot to do all of that, or you didn't know, or you didn't feel like it. You are miserable. What now? Try these natural remedies:
• Eat eggs for breakfast- the protein is excellent and the eggs have cysteine in them that helps to deal with free radicals
• Drink Gatorade to replace the electrolyte balance in your system
• Take a hot shower
• Take a brisk walk (I know you don't want to, do it anyway)
• Pinch the pressure point between your pointer finger and thumb to release tension in your neck
• Get a massage
• Get a big bowl of hot and sour soup
• Eat spicy food
• Sleep it off if you can
• Do not take Tylenol or Advil, it can inflame all ready inflamed liver tissues.
Natural Supplements for a hangover exist. They are normally combinations of vitamins and herbs, or herbs and homeopathic medicines. Stocking up on them ahead of time can be a lifesaver.
Available from the Vitamin Shoppe
- Source Naturals Hangover Formula
- Country Life Detox Tea: Organic licorice root, organic spearmint leaf, organic cinnamon, organic dandelion root, organic burdock root, organic echinacea herb, sarsaparilla root, organic chicory, organic cocoa, yellow dock root.\
- Futurebiotics Detox
- Living Essentials Chaser + Freedom From Hangovers
- Boiron Lobelia Inflata 30c Md
Available from GNC
- Chaser® Plus
Available at most health food stores:
- Charcoal supplements
- Evening primrose oil
- White willow bark
A Humorous Look At Hangovers
Of course the best and most effective way to cure a hangover is to drink moderately or not at all! Remember, if you do have too much to drink don't drive! Sip drinks slowly and make them last rather than gulping them down and going for another one. Drink plain tomato juice, or even a coke on ice in between your cocktails. Getting drunk is not the best way to enjoy a party!
More by this Author
There are many natural methods to treat a sore throat. Gargles, salt water, herbal teas, homeopathic remedies, and plain rest will soon have you back on track.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE35
Learn the natural options for a liver detox and why you should do it. List of medical conditions that make it dangerous to do a detox as well.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE86
Can you tell the difference between a rat snake, also called a chicken snake and a poisonous copperhead? Get details and images in this article.