Natural Healing in Living the Seven Virtues
Do you believe that all disease and illness comes from outside of your physical body? Pollutants, toxins, chemicals, and waste in our environment all contribute to make us sick. Then there are viruses, germs, bacteria and other things we come in contact with. We cannot live in a bubble. But what about our own thoughts, biases, prejudices and hatred. Could those things also contribute to our becoming sick? Can sins in your life result in sickness?
Some believe that virtue is associated with Christianity, but actually the philosophers Plato and Aristotle wrote about it. Also, Bushido, the Japanese Samurai code includes a set of virtues. Many theologians and theorists have tried to define virtues albiet in many different terms.
According to The Word , Sin causes sickness. Sin is the cause for the existence of sickness in the world.
Sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned (Romans 5:12).
Think about the "social diseases" of those who live immoral lives. Sexually transmitted diseases are rampant in the world now and even affect innocent children.
Those who eat too much (gluttony) not only affect their own health but can influence others to do the same.
You place added stress on your body when you allow yourself to get upset or envious.
When you are slothful, you do not get enough exercise to keep your body in shape.
Seven Deadly Sins
- Pride - excessive belief in your own attributes or abilities
- Envy - desire for another person's status, abilities, situation or traits
- Wrath - preferring fury and revenge over cooperation or love
- Sloth - avoiding physical or spiritual work
- Greed - desire for material wealth or gain
- Gluttony - to consume more than your body requires
- Lust - craving for the pleasures of the body
The Seven Virtues
- Humility cures Pride - Be selfless and give respect. Give credit where credit is due. Do not glorify self.
- Kindness cures Envy - Show friendship, charity, and compassion without prejudice.
- Patience cures Wrath - Resolve conflicts peacefully, show mercy and forgive.
- Diligence cures Sloth - Budget your time and monitor your activities to guard against laziness.
- Liberality cures Greed - Be noble and generous in thoughts and actions.
- Abstinence cures Gluttony - Practice moderation, self-control and abstinence.
- Chastity cures Lust - According to one's state in life abstaining from sexual conduct. Achieving purity of thought through education and betterment.
James admonishes the sick: Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed (James 5:15,16).
David said:Fools because of their transgressions, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted (Psalm 107:17-20).
You injure your body through bad habits. Perhaps you are in bondage to one of these poisons: Liquor, tobacco, and narcotics. In I Corinthians 3:17 it says: If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. Recognize your filthy habit as bondage and set your body free!!
God has promised blessings to those that are obedient. One example is found in Ephesians 6:2: Honor thy father and thy mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Disobedience brings disease and sickness. Obedience brings healing!
In Psalm 105:37 it tells how the people of Israel accepted both the body and blood of their Passover lamb. When God led them forth out of Egypt, there was not one feeble person among their tribes.
Christ himself warned one whom he had just healed in John 5:14: Sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
So, are you convinced yet that sin causes sickness ? If not, read the story in Numbers, Chapter 12 about Miriam, Moses' sister who became leprous because of her evil speaking which kindled the Lord's anger. Criticizing is sin and it causes sickness.
Also, in 1 Corinthians II, Paul speaks directly about sickness among the Christian people: For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep (die).
So, in conclusion, if you are suffering from sickness or disease, perhaps you need to humble yourself and look to the source of life for healing. The Seven Virtues are a good place to start.
More by this Author
Box jellyfish stings are painful. Here is what to do if you happen to get stung by one.
I was totally unprepared for my orbital decompression surgery, and it ended up being a nightmare! By sharing my experience, I hope that others will be more prepared than I was.
How to avoid hair loss. Home remedies that may help keep your hair.