Natural Home Remedies For Flu
Influenza or flu is the most common disease during winters. All types of flu are caused viruses. There are about 200 known flu viruses. These viruses not only cause fever but also congest throat, nose, lungs, bronchial tubes, and middle ear making even breathing difficult for the patient. The drugs and medicines seem to be ineffective for flu as whenever you stop taking these medicines, flu comes back and makes the patient's life very uncomfortable. Ayurveda believes that the cure for flu is precaution. One has to prevent flu by increasing body immunity against viruses and other harmful outer elements. However, Ayurveda also suggest home remedies for getting relief from flu conditions like fever, cough, sorethroat, nasal congestion etc.
- Vitamin C, garlic, honey, cinnamon etc. are all immune boosters. Try to take them regularly as a part of your diet.
- Mix some fresh lemon juice with lukewarm honey and take it daily to increase immunity against viruses.
- To get relief from sore throat, gargle with lukewarm water after adding salt to it for 3-4 times a day.
- You can even gargle with 1 drop each of tea tree oil and lemon mixed in glass of warm water. Remember not to swallow the solution.
- Mix 10-20 drops of one of the following- tea tree, eucalyptus, lemon or lavender oil- to your hot water bath. This strengthens immune system.
- Mix 1 tbsp of lukewarm honey with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder. Take this mixture daily for 3-4 days to improve immunity.
- Take steaming water in a big bowl and add 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh ginger in it. Lean your head over the vessel and drape a towel over head in such a manner that the steam doesn't escape. Inhale the steam to get relief from congestion of nose, throat and chest.
- You can even add eucalyptus oil or menthol to the water and then take steam. You can breathe easily after such a flu treatment.
- Drink lots of water during the day. It keeps respiratory system hydrated and helps to liquefy thick mucus built up. Don't drink too much of coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverages and quit smoking as they may lead to dehydration.
- Ayurveda suggests 'Neti kriya' (nasal saline intake) for clearing of the nasal passage and getting relief from congestion. Get a 'Neti pot'. Mix 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of warm water. Fill the Neti pot with this saline solution. Lean over the bathroom sink, tilt your head to one side and pour the solution directly into one nostril with the Neti pot. Solution will go into nasal cavity and run out the other nostril and the back of throat. Spit out the drainage, and gently blow nose to clear the nasal passages. Repeat the activity twice or thrice a day.
- Take half teaspoon each of sitopaladi powder, sudarshan and honey. Mix them well and have it every few hours.
- Avoid fried and cold food and liquids. Switch to a bland diet and take fresh and hot food and liquids like soups and herbal tea.
- Include garlic in your diet. It is one of the best immune boosters.
No comments yet.