Natural Mood Enhancers-Supplements That Improve Your Mood the Natural Way
Highs and Lows are a Common Part of Life
Most of us experience up and down days. Our current economy brings financial difficulties, increased gas prices, high rates of unemployment and uncertainty. The housing market is at an all time low. In everyday life we deal with the stress of trying to maintain a balance between work and home while raising kids, perhaps caring for elderly parents, maybe planning on retirement, while hoping there is enough money to do so.
We're trying to stay healthy or dealing with the high cost of health insurance while taking care of ongoing health issues. Along the way we're hoping to find time to relax and have a little fun. Highs and lows are a common part of life but there are some easy ways to reduce mood swings. Try some natural mood enhancers that can increase your energy and reduce your anxiety.
Improve Your Nutrition
- Eat foods that are higher in protein and healthy fats. These foods will increase and sustain your energy level
- Have some turkey! It contains Tryptophan that is converted to Serotonin which is a natural mood elevator. Other sources of Tryptophan include chocolate, bananas, fish, figs, peanuts, cottage cheese, leafy green vegetables and whole grain pasta
- Supplement your diet with B Vitamins that can be depleted with stress and can cause irritability and depression. Leafy green vegetables are a great source of a of B Vitamins.
- Supplement your diet with Calcium and combine it with Vitamin D which will help you to absorb it better. Women with fluctuating or depleted levels of Estrogen, which regulates Calcium, and those with PMS can improve their mood swings with supplemental Calcium. Low fat dairy foods such as skim milk and yogurt can boost your level of calcium!
- Zinc can be depleted with stress and may cause mood swings and agitation. Zinc may help regulate hormones, such as Progesterone, that can be associated with menstrual difficulties and PMS.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Omega 3 improves heart health
- It strengthens the immune system
- It can improve memory and the ability to concentrate
- It can reduce the risk of ADHD and depression
- Good sources of Omega 3 include fish, certain nuts and oils
- Salmon, Mackeral, Lake Trout and Sardines are especially high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
Get Some Sun!
- Exposure to sun, in moderation of course, is important for the production of Seratonin and increases your level of Vitamin D.
- Low levels of Vitamin D have been linked to depressive moods and may help alleviate the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder. SAD is suffered in the winter months when exposure to sunlight is decreased.
Improve your sleep
- Interrupted sleep can lower mood, decrease optimal daytime functioniong, impair thinking and decision making and cause anxiety
- Try to be consistent with bedtime and waking hours.
- Sleep 6-8 hours nightly and make sure your room is dark
- Did you know that low Melatonin levels may cause depression?
- If you have difficulty falling asleep you can take supplemental Melatonin 30 minutes before you plan on going to sleep. Make sure you are in a darkened room! It will not work if you are reading a book while wating for it to take effect.
- Exercise increases your levels of Tryptophan and Serotonin, which natuarally elevates your mood.
- Increase your level of Endorphins, another natural mood elevator, when you exercise vigorously. This release of endorphins - the "runner's high" - can make you feel happy and calm.
Another natural approach is Aromatherapy, the use of essential oils and other aromatic compounds that can alter a person's mood, mind and cognitive function and improve physical and psychological well being. Certain scents can evoke memories that bring you pleasure and have a calming effect. You can find many uses for a variety of essential oils and recipes to make your own!
There are many uses for essential oils but there are also precautions and other safety measures the you should study before beginning aromatherapy.
Always Consult Your Physician
There are many natural ways for one to enhance their emotional well being but it is always prudent to consult your Physician when choosing an alternative method. If you are taking prescribed medication do not stop taking it or try a substitute without consulting your Physician.
More by this Author
Painting the exterior of a two story house can be quite a daunting project. We rented a boom lift for the upper story. It was the best way to get at the high peaks and those areas where it would be difficult to...
My sister gave me a gorgeous potted tuberous Begonia that thrived and bloomed all summer. My goal is to keep this "annual" flower safely stored for the Winter and restart it in the Spring.
Does a rubber oil pan drain plug work. Not really. The self threading piggy back oil pan drain plug cold welded in place is the answer!