Natural ways to treat cystitis, kidney and bladder infections.
Natural ways to treat UTIs
A lot of urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria but there are other causes behind some of the different types of urinary tract infections – UTIs.
Urinary tract infections should always be treated as they can lead to more serious complications. Women are more likely to suffer from UTIs than men but infections in men seem to be more serious as men often ignore early symptoms.
Some people are more likely to develop urinary tract infections. If you suffer from reduced kidney function you may have frequent recurrent attacks of various types of infections. Diabetes sufferers are at higher risk from infections such as cystitis.
Cystitis is by far the most common urinary tract infection. Most attacks are caused by bacterial infection but there are other reasons as well such as inflammation caused by irritation such spicy foods.
The most easily recognizable symptoms of cystitis are painful and frequent urination.
The urine might also have dark color and have a strong smell. Other symptoms which allow a diagnosis of cystitis are pains in the lower back and the pelvis.
Most people also feel generally unwell, raised body temperature and the shivers like in flu are very common if the problem is allowed to continue untreated.
Doctors normally treat bacterial cystitis with antibiotics but on occasion cystitis is caused by food intolerance. The main triggers of other types of irritation cystitis are coffee, tea, fruit juices and spicy food. Chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease, can also cause cystitis.
Women are good at dealing with cystitis and start treatment very quickly but men do tend to ignore the symptoms. Kidney infections, another type of urinary tract infection, are common on men. They can appear extremely quickly and the sufferer will feel very unwell. The most common symptoms include painful urination, shivering, lower back and muscle pain.
Kidney infections are far more serious than cystitis and should always be treated by a doctor as infections can easily damage the kidneys. The infection can spread to the bloodstream which leads to septicaemia.
There can also be other reasons than bacterial infections such as kidney stones which can get stuck in the urinary tract.
Bladder infections are also more common in men and may occur as men age.
When men age they may find the size of the prostate gland increases and frequent bladder infections as well as increased need to urinate more often are symptoms to look out for.
A bladder infection occurs when cystitis has moved up to the bladder. The most common problem with bladder infections is that there is normally no pain. Along with arthritis this is must common inflammatory disease seen in seniors. Older people do urinate more frequently and this makes a bladder infection more difficult top diagnose. The symptoms of a bladder infection include tiredness, frequent urination and the feeling of a full bladder.
How to treat urinary tract infections using natural remedies
Most urinary tract infections do require a doctor’s visit and a prescription for antibiotics however that being said it does not mean they can't be treated using natural remedies.
Urinary tract infections can also be prevented and many of the ways used to treat urinary tract infections can also be used to prevent them.
10 ways to treat and prevent UTIs
1) Drink plenty of water – fluid is your first line of defence and an increased fluid intake will help to both prevent and treat urinary tract infections
2) Juice – we are often told to drink a lot of fruit juice. The downside is that it is very acidic and can change the PH balance in the bladder and cause inflammation of the urinary tract. Monitor your intake and if you are thirsty drink water or herbal teas instead.
3) Coffee – I put my hands up here. I love coffee and can easily drink too much of this wonderful black liquid. If you are prone to cystitis take a look at your coffee intake. Herbal teas do not cause this problem.
4) Wiping front to back – it is true listen to your mom. Bacterial infections are caused this way.
5) Cranberry – great stuff for better urinary tract health but if you don’t like the stuff there is no need to worry. Blueberries and cherries are just as good and so is the juice.
6) Zinc – boost your immune system as your body fights the infection. Zinc is a great help and our modern food is sadly deficient in zinc.
7) Polyester underwear – they do not allow your body to breath and are breeding grounds for bacteria. Let’s go for cotton girls, and boys for that matter.
8) Chamomile tea is great for urinary tract infections and peppermint tea works well as well. You may want to consider making this your morning hot drink.
9) Keep warm – keeping your lower back warm can help you to prevent bladder and kidney infections.
10) Repeat after me – lemons are a kidney’s best friend. Hot water with a squeeze of lemon will help to cleanse your urinary tract. Drink first thing in the morning, and if you suffer from irritation cystitis start your spicy meal with a hot water drink with a squeeze of lemon. There are more to lemons than Gin and tonic.
Remember to always take urinary tract infections seriously and try to identify what caused the infection so you can avoid the problem in the future.
Why we should include lemons in our diet
Lemons contain an acidic juice which stimulates our body to become more alkaline. Not only does it stimulate the urinary system bit also the blood and digestive system.
Seven reasons to include lemons in your diet
Improved liver function
Reduces symptoms of colds and other viruses
Stimulates bowel moment and cleanses the bowel
Reduces acidity in the bladder
Contains anti oxidants Improves digestion
Adding lemon juice to your favorite recipes is relatively easy. Roast chicken cooked with lemon instead of stuffing becomes deliciously tender. Lemon works well with honey. Just a squeeze over your carrots and a drizzle of honey before you steam them is worth trying.
Boil barley and make your own lemon and barley water. Squeeze a fresh lemon over your salad, chicken, fish or seafood. Try a slice of lemon with your tea.
You can even clean with lemons. Just add to vinegar as a great kitchen cleaner, or add to your water when you wash the floor.
More by this Author
What is sleep apnea, and sleep disorders can be helped by natural remedies and lifestyle changes.
Psoriasis and eczema can be very similar in appearance and show up in similar places. They are two different medication conditions which both cause severe itchiness, dry and flaky skin leading to blistering and wet...
Five Fruits not to eat if you have arthritis. Fruits to avoid if you suffer from arthritis and foods to avoid if you have arthritis. Foods you should eat if you have arthritis and advice on arthritis.