Nine Reasons Why We Should Eat Fish
There are many reasons why we should eat. The main reason is we should keep survive. There are many choices for us. Start from meat, chicken, bread, mash potato, fish, fruit, vegetables, etc. This time I’ll talk about fish. Fish is one of healthy material for cooking. Actually we can choose freshwater fish or saltwater fish. Generally we get many benefits by consume fish. Fish and other seafood are healthy foods with low saturated fat, high protein, and it is an important source of omega-3 fatty acids. In addition contain protein, fish also enriched with fat, vitamins and minerals. With varies composition, depending on the type, season, spawning cycle, geographic location, and age of fish.
There are several substances inside fish which is useful for our health. Like:
- Protein: Fish contain high protein consisting of essential amino acids that are not damaged during cooking. Generally, fish contain 13-20% protein. These proteins can help the growth of brain cells. That’s why fish often called as the food to support intelligence. Fish is easily digestible even for a baby though. The proportion of protein (collagen) is also much lower than beef, which is only 3-5% of total protein. So compared to beef, fish meat feels soft and more easily crushed when chewed.
- Fat: Fat content ranged between 1-20%, mostly is unsaturated fatty acids which is actually useful to lowering blood cholesterol levels and omega-3 also. These substances are useful to increase immunity, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, inhibit the growth of some types of cancer and preserve brain function, especially related with memory.
- Vitamins: There are two groups of vitamins in fish. The first group is water-soluble vitamins, including vitamin B6, B12, Biotin and Niacin. This vitamin is found in many fish with dark flesh. The second group is fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins A and D). This vitamin is contained in the fish oil.
- Mineral: The number of mineral content in the fish is quite a lot. Such as: magnesium (strengthens bones, muscles, nutrition), iodine (to prevent goiter pain & low IQ), iron (to prevent anemia), zinc (boost immunity, speed healing of wounds) and selenium (prevent cancer, maintain tissue elasticity with vitamin E) so it's good to prevent premature aging.
Here are some benefits you can get by eating fish:
- Lowering blood pressure. Fish oil is very useful for lowering blood pressure. However, consuming lots of fish oil is not recommended. Just consume this wisely.
- Cardiovascular health. Omega-3 fatty acids which are found in fish have been proven beneficial for the heart, arteries and veins that create your cardiovascular system. By consume fish regularly may help prevent heart disease and heart failure by preventing the accumulation of triglycerides, reduced levels of excess triglycerides, increase HDL (good cholesterol) and prevent blood clotting. Studies by experts from the Harvard School of Public Health concluded, eating up to two portions of fish a week can reduce the risk of death from heart disease tripled.
- Reduce the risk of cancer. Omega 3 in fish has been proven to help prevent the three most common types of cancer, like: breast cancer, colon and prostate. Fish oil supplements can also help patients suffering from hyperlipidemia. That's why we can easily found fish oil supplement in the market.
- Fight inflammation. Fish and especially oil fish have anti-inflammatory properties. The fish is effective in reducing inflammation in blood and tissues. Omega-3 fatty acids inside fish oils give positive effect on the inflammatory response. So, it’s very helpful in reducing arthritis, prostate inflammation and bladder inflammation.
- Improve brain function. Omega-3 fatty acids in fish help the brain development. Intake of omega-3 right can help improve mental focus in children and adults. The researchers also discovered the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in fish improve brain development for infants and children. That’s why I also suggest my student to eat more fishes for their menu. I know it hard for parents to force their kids to eat fish, but they can use variety menu. So their kids will love to eat fish. A new study suggests that fish oil supplements can improve memory in adults.
- Healthy eyes. Consumption of fish is very good because they have the ability to improve vision. Fish can fight the degeneration of the macula (central retina), glaucoma and dry eye syndrome. A new study finds that people who eat at least two portions of fish per week can prevent macular degeneration (blindness related with age) than those who didn’t ate fish at all. That’s why Japanese people who like to eat fish have a strong vision and a longer life.
- Solution for depression. Omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil useful to reduce depression and anxiety. Studies have proven that people who eat lots of fish have lower levels of depression.
- Skin Care. Consumption of fish helps to maintain healthy skin. According to a study published in the Journal of Lipid Research, omega-3 fatty acid found in fish oil can delay the aging process of skin and help to prevent wrinkles. There’s a new research said that fish oil supplements, can keep the skin from damage caused by sun exposure.
- Lose weight. According to a study conducted at the University of Georgia, fish oil with DHA useful to reduce fat accumulation in the body. Previous studies also shown that consumption of fish oil capsules followed by exercising more effective in lowering fat. I thought many people will love this section.
- 200 grams tins tuna fish undrained
- 330 grams cans condensed cream of onion soup
- 450 cooked pasta
- 100 grams tin mushroom sliced and undrained
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried tyhme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small packet onion flavoured crisps crushed
Combine tuna and soup in a glass casserole, breaking up tuna slightly. Stir in remaining ingredients except crisps. Cover.
Set the microwave at time cook for 12 to 16 minutes or until hot, stirring twice. Let stand covered 3 minutes. Top with crushed crisps before serving.
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 450 grams tin pink salmon
- 100 grams finely chopped fresh mushroom
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 225 grams grated cheddar cheese big pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 23 cm baked pastry shell in a glass pie dish
Beat egg and milk together until blended. Add salmon breaking up lightly with a fork. Gently stir in remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into baked pie shell, being sure the solids are distributed evenly in the bottom of the shell.
Set the microwave at time cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until the centre becomes firm.
Fish is also good for diet, because extra rich in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients needed to keep the body stay healthy. People who frequently eat fish tend to eat less meat and cheese. There are some healthy ways to include fish in your diet program, it can be baked, boiled and steamed. Fish is highly recommended by many health experts as food with complex health benefits. 75% more regions of the world is a sea, beside river and lake. Fish is like a hidden treasure for human. If we want to dig more about the fish we get more benefits for this. Because of the tremendous nutritional value, it is hoped that the people will increase consume of fish. We certainly hope that rising consumption of the fish make the fishermen also can live more prosperous.
Big smile of fishermen!
You can also read:
More by this Author
In non-banana growing countries like the west, or non-tropical countries in the northern hemisphere of Asia, the banana is an imported food item consisting of only one type
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.