Numerous Benefits of Lemon
Health benefits of Lemons
Lemon is an oval type fruit said to be originated from India. Let us have a look at the health benefits of lemons. A ripe lemon is yellow in color and a raw one is green in color. This wonder fruit is widely grown in many countries like India, Burma, China, Italy, Iraq, Persia, Egypt, America etc. In America, the Italian Navigator Christopher Columbus planted the first lemon trees in the year 1493. Lemon is a citrus fruit belonging to Rutaceae family.
Lemon trees are grown about six to eight meters in height and their leaves are long and green in color. Flowers of lemon tree are white in color, and the fruits take about seven months to ripen.
Lemon is anti-aging agent, antibacterial agent,
Lemon is widely used in cooking throughout the world. Lemon juice contains 5 to 6% citric acid, which gives lemons a sour taste. It has magical and wonderful healing powers.
Citric Acid - 5g
Vitamin C - 53 mg
Protein - 1.1 g
Fat - 0.3 g
Energy - 30 kcal
Lemon also contains Vitamins A, B and G, iron and calcium. potassium, phosphorus, magnesium.
Health Uses of Lemon
This small fruit is helpful for many health benefits. Its acidic element is a natural cure for a number of body ailments.
- Lemon is helpful in curing scurvy.
- Lemon lowers blood pressure and increases the levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
- Lemon juice with a pinch of salt every morning lowers cholesterol levels and brings down weight.
- Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold.
- Lemon juice is helpful to prevent and treat urinary tract infection and gonorrhoea.
- Lemon juice relieves colon pain and gastric problems.
- Lemon juice is also helpful to clear the digestive system and purify liver as well.
- Lemon juice is the best drink to prevent dehydration and shock in case of diarrhoea.
- Lemon juice is used as a mouthwash, which removes plaque, whitens the teeth and strengthens the enamel.
- For throat infection, gangling lemon juice is helpful.
- Lemon juice can remove dandruff.
- For asthma, a tablespoon of thick lemon syrup taken daily is helpful.
- For constipation, lemon juice can be used in warm water early in the morning.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
Cosmetic Uses of Lemon
Lemon juice contains alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) that help to exfoliate dead cells from skin thus giving it a rejuvenated fresh look.
- Lemon juice is helpful to increase the glow to the skin.
- Lemon juice is great for removing fruit or berry stains on your hands.
- To remove acene, applying lemon juice is used.
- Rubbing sliced lemon everyday would help you with a much stronger and sturdier nails.
- Lemon is also used for removing blackheads.
- Lemon juice is an excellent treatment for dandruff and greasy hair.
- Lemon applied over the face removes wrinkles and keeps you young.
- Lemon juice soothes the dry skin when applied with little glycerin.
- The acidic nature of lemon juice lightens the hairs and causes the cuticles to tighten, creating shine.
- To get rid of your bad breath, gargle with lemon juice or just swirl it in your mouth for some time.
- Rinsing your hair with lemon juice, helps to shine your hair.
- Lemon juice is used for marinating seafood or meat. It helps to kill the bacteria and other organisms present in them, and thus prevents gastro intestinal tract infections.
- Lemon juice is used in salads and ice tea.
- Lemon slices and lemon rind are used a garnish for both food and drinks.
- Lemon is used for pickling. Lemon pickle is a tasty food item.
- Lemon is used for squash.
- In many bakery products, lemonade is used, for flavoring.
- Lemon juice is used for drinking purpose with a pinch of salt or sugar, which is a healthy drink.
Household Uses of Lemon
- Stain removal - Dry lemon skin is used for removing the stains from coffee/tea cups.
- Removes unpleasant odour - Dry lemon skin is used for removing the unpleasant odour from the bowls, knives, chopping board etc.
- Cleansing toilet - By rubbing lemon skins on the yellow spots of the toilet sinks removes the stain and make it clean.
- Cleaning the tiles - After applying some salt on the tiles, clean it with rubbing the lemon skin makes it clean.
- Refresh the refrigerator - Keeping a cut lemon inside the fridge removes the odour and refreshes the refrigerator.
- Sprinkling few drops of lemon juice on the apple pieces, prevents discoloring.
- Adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to rice while cooking, prevents rice from sticking.
Side effects of Lemon
Though lemon is useful in so many ways it should not be usedin excess.
Lemon juice should not be taken in concentrated form. It should be diluted with water before taking it. Pure lemonjuice contains acid which is injurious to the enamel of teeth and health.
- Lemon oil: aromatherapy, health benefits and uses of lemon essential oil
Historians tend to agree that the lemon was introduced to Europe during the Crusades, eventually gaining common popularity by the 16th century. Experts believe that the lemon was not introduced to the Americas until 1493, when the lemon seeds were br
More by this Author
Find out the various medicinal uses of Shankhpushpi- . Clitoria ternatea
Find out the wonderful health benefits of the herb Oxalis Corniculata - Puliyarila.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.