15 Amazing Health Benefits of Oranges
One of the most popular fruits in the world is the orange. Oranges are loaded with vitamin C and are packed with phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, calcium, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B6. Oranges also contain more than 60 flavonoids, many of which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and blood clot inhibiting properties, as well as strong antioxidant effects. The combination of the high amount of antioxidant (vitamin C) and flavonoids in oranges makes it one of the best fruits in helping to promote optimal health.
Here are the 15 Amazing Health Benefits of Oranges:
- Oranges lower the risk of stroke - A recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that high intake of vitamin C may lower the risk of stroke by 42%.
- Oranges prevent cardiovascular disease - A high intake of flavonoids and vitamin C has been known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases by 50%.
- Oranges lower cholesterol - Oranges are high in antioxidant (vitamin C) which lowers cholesterol. Also, the alkaloid synephrine found under the orange peel can reduce the liver's production of cholesterol.
- Oranges lower high blood pressure - Studies have shown that a flavonoid called hesperidin in oranges can lower high blood pressure.
- Oranges prevent cancer - The high vitamin C content also acts as a good antioxidant that protects cells from damages by free radicals. A compound in oranges called liminoid, has been found to help fight cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon cancers. Oranges are also rich in beta-cryptoxanthin, an orange-red carotenoid found in highest amounts in oranges, which may significantly lower one's risk of developing lung cancer.
- Oranges help prevent peptic ulcers - Vitamin C in oranges helps to lower the incidence of peptic ulcers.
- Oranges prevent arteriosclerosis - Arteriosclerosis is the hardening of the arteries. Regular consumption of vitamin C retards the development of hardening of the arteries.
- Oranges build a good Immune system - The strong content of vitamin C stimulates white cells to fight infection, naturally building a good immune system.
- Oranges protect you against viral infections - The abundance of polyphenols have been shown to provide protection against viral infections.
- Oranges provide protection against rheumatoid arthritis - New research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition adds to the evidence that enjoying a daily glass of freshly squeezed orange juice can significantly lower your risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Oranges repair damaged sperms - An orange a day is sufficient for a man to keep his sperms healthy. Vitamin C, an antioxidant, protects sperms from genetic damage that may cause a birth defect.
- Oranges prevent kidney stones - Drinking orange juice daily can significantly reduce the risk of formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones.
- Oranges help you look younger - A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that high intake of vitamin C prevent may prevent wrinkles, dry skin, and other free radical damage to the skin known to cause signs of aging.
- Oranges improve macular degeneration - Studies show that high intake of vitamin C may improve macular degeneration.
- Oranges prevent constipation - Even though the orange may taste acidic, it actually has an alkaline effect in the digestive system and helps stimulate the digestive juices, relieving constipation. (And isn't being regular one of your daily priorities?)
Related Articles on Oranges:
More Health Related Articles by Rosie2010:
- Health Benefits of Avocados
- Health Benefits of Bananas
- Health Benefits of Oranges
- Health Benefits of Fiber
- Health Benefits of Peanuts
- Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Health Benefits of Yogurt
- Health Benefits of Beer
- Health Benefits of Red Wine
- Health Benefits of Light Therapy
- Health Benefits of Ear Massage
- Health Benefits of Smiling
- Health Benefits of Walking
- Nutritional Comparison between Yams and Sweet Potatoes
More by this Author
Did you know that compared to an apple, a banana has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus,three times the potassium, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins...
SWEET POTATOES HEALTH BENEFITS and Nutritional Value, Sweet Potato History and Recipes The health benefits of sweet potatoes make it one of the healthiest vegetables we eat. One of the key health benefits of...
If your nails are breaking or splitting, you either have brittle nails or weak nails. Learn how to protect your nails and finally get the beautiful strong nails you deserve.