Opsomycetin Drugs Information
Opsomycetin (Chloramphenicol) was originally isolated from Streptomyces venezuelae. This was the first discovered broad spectrum antibiotic. Opsomycetin is effective for general clinical use and is found to be of therapeutic value in a variety of bacterial infections.
- Typhoid and para-typhoid
- Severe bacillary dysentry
- Chronic urinary tract infections
- Bacterial meningitis
- Adults: usual oral does is 1-2 capsules 6 hourly. In severe infections the does can be increased to 4 gm daily in divided doses.
- Children: 25-50 mg/kg/day divided into 4 doses at 6 hours interval. In severe infections the does can be increased to 80-100mg/kg/day.
- The drug should be discontinued after appearance of anaemia, leukopenia, thrombooytopenia
- The dosage should be adjusted accordingly in case of impaired liver or kidney function.
- Regular blood studies should be done during chioramphenicol therapy
Aplastic anaemia, vacuolation of erythroblast, optic neurities, rashes, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoaa may occur occur occasionally during its use.
Opsomycetin is contraindicated where a history of previous hypersensitivity to chioramphenicol is established. it must not be used in the treatment of trivial infections or during pregnancy.
- Opsomycetin capsule: Each capsule contains 250 mg of Chioramphenicol BP.
- Opsomycetin Suspension: Each teaspoonful (5ml) contains Chioramphenicol Paimitate BP equivalent to 125 mg of Chioramphenicol.
- Opsomycetin capsule: Cartons of 10*10 capsules in blister strips.
- Opsomycetin Suspension:Bottles of 60 ml.
More by this Author
Credit Risk Grading (CRG): The risk that an issuer of debt securities or a borrower may default on his or her obligations or that the payment may not be made on a negotiable instrument that is called credit risk. The...
Description: Solas (Mabendazole) is an effective and versatile broad spectrum anthelmintic agent; it eradicates warms by inhibiting nutrition uptake irreversibly. It is safe even in anaemic and mainutritive patients due...
Tax is a contribution exacted by the state. It is a non penal but compulsory and unrequited transfer of resources from the private to the public sector, levied on the basis of predetermined criteria. The classical...
No comments yet.