Phobias, Phobias, Phobias......Oh, So Many Phobias...Arachnophobia Etc
While searching the Internet for a name for my irrational fear of cockroaches, I ran across the meaning of Phobia, and the following is what I found.
1. A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous. 2. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
Based on those meanings I have a legitimate phobia, but alas there is not a bonafide, specific name for my "phobia." It appears that I can only call it a fear of insects, "Entomophobia." That's not good enough for me, but I guess It'll have to do. NO, it won't do, I'm going to name it "roachophobia," now, there it is.
So, on my quest I found that there are hundreds of phobias, almost anything that you have an irrational or strong fear, dislike or aversion to, has a name with phobia attached to it. I'm going to name just a few.
Now before I proceed, I'd like to point out that some of these are real fears not feigned or imagined, so if I take a little levity, I'm only doing it for the entertainment, not to belittle anyone for their fears.
These happen to be, out of all the ones that I found, legitimate and believable. If I don't happen to name yours, it only means that I didn't find it, or to me, it was unbelievable, or maybe I haven't gotten to it yet.
So here it goes:
- Ablutophobia--Fear of washing or bathing.
- Achluophobia, Myctophobia, Nyctophobia, Scotophobia, or Lygophobia--Fear of darkness or of the night.
- Acrophobia or Hysiphobia--Fear of heights.
- Aeroacrophobia--Fear of open high places
- Agliophobia, Algophobia, Odynophobia or Odynephobia--Fear of pain.
- Agoraphobia--Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
- Ailurophobia--Fear of cats.
- Androphobia or Arrhenphobia--Fear of men.
- Angrophobia--Fear of anger or of becoming angry.
- Apiphobia or Melissophobia--Fear of bees.
- Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia--Fear of spiders
- Ataxophobia--Fear of disorder or untidiness.
- Atychiphobia--Fear of failure.
- Automatonophobia--Fear of ventriloquist's dummies, animatronic creatures, wax statues etc.
- Automysophobia--Fear of being dirty.
- Aviophobia, aviatophobia or Pteromerhanophobia--Fear of flying.
- Bacteriophobia--Fear of bacteria
- Bathmophobia--Fear of stairs or steep slopes.
- Batophobia--Fear of heights or being close to heights or being close to high buildings.
- Batrachophobia--Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders and the like.
- Belonephobia or Aichmophobia--Fear of pins and needles.
- Botanophobia--Fear of plants.
- Cacophobia--Fear of ugliness.
- Carnophobia--Fear of meat.
- Catagelophobia--Fear of being ridiculed.
- Catoptrophobia--Fear of mirrors.
- Chaetophobia, Hypertrichophobia, Trichopathophobia, or Trichophobia--Fear of hair.
- Chiraptophobia--Fear of being touched.
- Chorophobia--Fear of dancing.
- Chrometophobia or Chrematophobia--Fear of money.
- Claustrophobia--Fear of confined spaces.
- Cleithrophobia or Cleisiophobia--Fear of being locked in an enclosed place.
- Climacophobia--Fear of stairs, climbing, or of falling downstairs.
- Clithrophobia or Cleithrophobia--Fear of being enclosed.
- Coimetrophobia--Fear of cemeteries.
- Coprophobia--Fear of feces.
- Coulrophobia--Fear of clowns.
- Cryophobia--Fear of extreme cold, ice or frost.
- Cynophobia--Fear of dogs or rabies.
- Demophobia--Fear of crowds, same as Agoraphobia and Enochlophobia.
- Dentophobia--Fear of dentists.
- Didaskaleinophobia--Fear of going to school. (I think one of my kids tried to use this one on me).
- Dipsophobia--Fear of drinking.
- Dishabiliophobia--Fear of undressing in front of someone.
- Doraphobia--Fear of fur or skins of animals.
- Dystychiphobia--Fear of accidents.
- Eisoptrophobia--Fear of mirrors or of seeing oneself in a mirror.
- Elurophobia or Ailurophobia, Felinophobia, Galeophobia, Gatophobia--Fear of cats.
- Enetophobia--Fear of pins.
- Entomophobia or Insectophobia--Fear of insects.
- Equinophobia--Fear of horses.
- Ergophobia--Fear of work.
- Erythrophobia or Erytophobia or Ereuthophobia--Fear of anything red, red lights, blushing, etc.
- Gamophobia--Fear of marriage.( I guess that's what dyed in the wool bachelors tell their girlfriends).
- Genophobia--Fear of sex.
- Gerascophobia or Gerontophobia--Fear of old people or growing old, (can we say Hollywood).
- Haphephobia or Haptephobia--Fear of being touched.
- Heliophobia--Fear of the sun.
- Hemophobia, hemaphobia or Hematophobia--Fear of blood.
- Herpetophobia--Fear of reptiles or other so called creepy, crawly things.
- Hippophobia--Fear of horses.
- Hominophobia--Fear of men.
- Homophobia--Fear of homosexuality, or of becoming homosexual.
- Hoplophobia--Fear of firearms.
- Ichthyophobia--Fear of fish.
- Isolophobia or Monophobia--Fear of solitude, or of being alone..
- Kenophobia--Fear of voids or empty spaces.
- Koniophobia--Fear of dust.
- Lachanophobia--Fear of vegetables, (don't let your children use this one).
- Lockiophobia--Fear of childbirth.
- Lilapsophobia--Fear of tornadoes and hurricanes.
- Maniaphobia--Fear of insanity.
- Mastigophobia--Fear of punishment.
- Mechanophobia--Fear of machines.
- Melanophobia--Fear of the color black.
Do you have a phobia?See results without voting
More To Come
Well this is getting out of hand. I'll have to complete this subject in another hub. Please check out Phobias, Phobias, Phobias......Oh, So Many Phobias, #2
More About Phobias
- Phobias, Phobias, Phobias...............Oh, So Many Phobias #2
This is a continuation of a previous hub, entitled Phobias, Phobias, Phobias........Oh, So Many Phobias. Just to recap the meaning of Phobia is as follows. 1. A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear...
- The Phobia List
You can find a complete list of phobias on this site.
- Comprehensive List of Food Phobias
While particularly common among people diagnosed with eating disorders, food phobias can also be found in otherwise mentally healthy people.
- Dog Fears and Phobias
A fearful dog is a challenge to own and train. In familiar setting the dog may be a sweet, wonderful family pet, but in new places, he may turn into a jittery mess. If your dog is like this, it is important...
More by this Author
Candida is a little known and often misdiagnosed condition most of us unknowingly contend with regularly. Unknown to most candida appears in various forms, thrush, athlete's foot and more.
Do you sometimes feel down, maybe for extended periods? Have you ever wondered if you're really depressed? Read on and see if your questions are answered.
One of our all time favorite comedians, Sinbad.