Poisonous Holiday Plants
POISONOUS HOLIDAY PLANTS
Poisonous Holiday Plants can spoil a great holiday for t most enthusiastic person. Threfore, it is necessary to take precautions with small children. Beautiful Christmas plants are as much fun as toys and it will not be very long before we find ourselves into the holiday seasons. Now is the time to be giving a bit of thought to celebrating a safe holiday season with manyof the seasons gorgeous plants. Many house plants are impressive during the season but are poisonous. Some will say we are going to look at them not eat them but if you have little folk around that is not always the case. The curiosity to taste holiday house plants to see if they are as good as they look is known to be fun for children. Most times we reach them before they get to experiment but precautions are good to have in place to keep small children from eating poisonous holiday house plants.
Live Christmas trees may be choking hazards if ingested and can be harmful if eaten in large amounts. Poinsettias are lovely holiday house plants but can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea but not poisonous as once thought. Although Poinsettia plants can cause extreme discomfort. As with anything caution is recommended during the holidays. Protect pets from poisonous plants. They love to pull and play and sometimes eat things around the house, including plants.
Mistletoe, Bittersweet, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry are all poisonous plants. They are lovely but should be managed carefully with children in the home. Do not place these plants where children can reach them. Hollies are very pretty and look as if they might be fun to taste but the ingestion of berries, as few as 20, can kill a child. All parts of the Bittersweet are found to be toxic the ingestion of any can cause low heart rate, headaches, and sedation. Bittersweet has a large amount of solanine which is very toxic. Mistletoe and Jerusalem Cherry are extremely toxic, the whole plant; be on the look out for berries that may fall to the floor; call your poison control center if eaten in any amount. Do not hesitate.
Summers and spring are the times of the year when people are most likely to encounter poisonous plants. Usually this is accidental, especially with children. Reaching into bushes to retrieve a ball or another toy or accidentally falling into poisonous plants while playing.
Very few people deliberately plant poisonous plants but they will grow voluntarily so if you live in a wooded area or have a lot of plant growth take a serious evaluation of your yard. Many poisonous plants look absolutely delicious to children, the coloring or the fun of making play things from them, and worse the I dare you to touch it. A knowledge of plants and their positive points and their dangers is usually enough to deter the majority of people, including curious children. Ironically, peach and cherry pits are poisonous and by all means make sure kids do not eat wild mushrooms which children always find interesting.
As a remedy for poison ivy or poison oak people suggest Tea Tree oil, which can be found in health food stores. These poisonous plants are on the increase and with more people moving to the sticks the effects will happen more. If anyone has a remedy please leave it on Comment Area, it is sure to help someone searching for relief, and follow the old rule, “Leaves of three, let it be.”
Rosary Pea is also a very dangerous plant used around Christmas. If ingested vomiting and abdominal pain occur within a short period of time this is followed by bloody diarrhea. Amaryllis can cause stomach pain if the bulbs are eaten.
In just a short time the holiday season will be here and being aware of our surroundings is always a good idea. There are many non-toxic plants that can be used for the holidays such as Jade, Wax plant, Christmas Cactus, and African Violet; just to name a few. If you give plants for gifts or use them to decorate for the holidays keep the environment of others in mind as well as your own. It is not too early to learn and to inform others about the dangers of these plants. Let's make the holiday season a little safer.
More by this Author
The weather is hot and we have not yet entered into the month of August. So we must be careful not to allow our bodies to become overheated. If a person's body becomes too hot they can have what is commonly known as a...
Eating mustard greens has proved to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Staying healthy is a challenge in today’s world but mustard greens are a tremendous boost to a healthy immune system. Mustard...
- 4Emotional Crisis - I lost $100,000 in investments - the money which was to secure my future - i am...
People go through changes everyday, some go into depression.
No comments yet.