Unique Method for Popping Your Back
Really Bad Pictures of Me Popping My Back
How To Pop Your Own Back
Sometimes it feels good to crack your middle and upper back bones, even if the relief is only temporary. Growing up I popped just about every bone in my body -even my upper rib cage (thoracic bone, if there is such a thing?) would give forth a loud crack at times. I remember my parents admonishing me constantly. When seeing me crack my knuckles they were always quick to say, "If you don't stop, your knuckles will grow big and ugly." Untrue. This is just a myth.
I simply loved popping my joints. I can remember popping other people's fingers and making joints move painlessly that they never knew could pop (i.e. the lower thumb joint). Ironically, I grew up to be an instructional designer, while my brother who rarely popped his own joints became a chiropractor. Of course, I usually ask for a free adjustment when I see him!
My brother was surprised one day several years ago to see the method I used for popping my back. We were both home visiting our mother at the time. I showed him how I could "adjust" my own back using the bathtub. After many years of popping my own back in all sorts of ways, I've become hyperflexible and it's difficult to crack my back via the usual methods. Following is how I take care of it myself:
- Wait until mid-day or later so that your joints are relatively loose. For some reason this trick doesn't work for me early in the morning. This is very important!
- Ensure your bathtub is dry if you are entering fully clothed.
- Enter your tub and sit down on your rear with your knees bent in front of you. You should be facing the wall. Your knees should be up and your shins crossed over one another or both facing the wall (whatever is most comfortable). Your back should be against the side of the tub that is opposite from the wall.
- Now, sit up straight and position yourself so that you feel the edge of the tub is between a vertebrae in your middle back. Place your hands on the wall or opposite side of the tub (depending on your height) and press against the wall slowly and firmly, thus producing pressure on your back. Your back may pop the first time you press against the wall. If it doesn't, don't give up. Keep sliding lower and lower in the tub and pressing the wall to try to pop each vertebrae. It's important to start in the middle of your back and slide downward working toward the upper portion of your back.
- Continue sliding lower and lower in the tub popping your back from middle to upper. When you have worked your way to the uppermost vertebrae under your neck, you should be rewarded with a nice loud crack. It's great. Sometimes, I can even use my hands to press on my chin while the back of my head is laying on the side of the tub. If it get it just right a really high up bone at the very top of my spine pops. Aghhhh!
The reason I thought to try this method, was because in school and in college I used to do bascially the same thing while sitting in a desk. Once I graduated, there were no more desks around to use for this purpose. To the right are some really horrible pictures of myself illustrating this method. I really need to scrub my tub!
If this method did NOT work for you, dont' give up. Just try it later in the day or on a different day.I've done it for years. Every now and then it doesn't work if I'm wound up way too tight.
Update: I recently suffered from compressed spine and needed a new way to help get relief so I found it today. Yay! You can see it in my other HUB. It shows how I decompressed my own cervical spine area.
Did This Method Work for You?
Try out this method and let me know how it worked.See results without voting
More by this Author
Our living room sans rug so you can really see the floor! Please ignore the paint test in back left of picture. Preparing for our kitchen remodel, my husband and I were looking for some inexpensive flooring that would...
If you read my other hub regarding how to pop your own back and it's not helping bring any relief to your upper spine then maybe you would be interested in learning about this technique I just discovered. Let me state,...
Many people are choosing gift bags over the traditional and more time consuming wrapping paper alternative. These days we are all in such a hurry the gift bag is a quick and easy method for "wrapping"...