Potassium Rich Foods
Before I talk about foods that are high in potassium, let's have a look at health benefits and some other information on Potassium. In case you only want to read about foods and skip this info, scroll down.
Health Benefits of Potassium
Importance of Potassium for our body
- Controls High Blood Pressure and hypertension. However, taking potassium supplements is generally not recommended for people with high blood pressure. Instead, a variety of potassium-rich foods should be eaten daily.
- It works with sodium to maintain the body's water balance.
- Maintains acidity, basicity and pH of our bodies.
- It plays an important role in keeping the working of brain in normal state.
- Potassium helps regulate functioning of our heart.
- It helps in boosting the spirit of nerve reflexes to transmit message from one body part to another.
- It is also an important mineral for our digestive system.
Effects of Low Potassium on our body
- Deficiency of potassium leads to weakness.
- Causes temporary memory loss
- Causes extreme fatigue and people who lack potassium in their bodies would get extremely tired by just running for a short while.
- Causes lack of muscle coordination.
- Cardiac arrest can also take place in extreme cases of low potassium.
- Causes disturbed heart rhythm.
- People with low blood potassium often report a lack of mental clarity.
There are many other effects of low potassium levels in a human body which can be termed as symptoms, so read them under the 'symtopms of low potassium heading bwlow
Symptoms of Low Potassium
If you notice these symptoms, then a test of potassium level of your body should be conducted after seeing a doctor.
- Muscle Cramps
- Salt Retention
- Mental Confusion
- Periodic Headaches
- Abnormally Dry Skin
- Insatiable Thirst
- High Cholesterol Levels
- Ringing in the ears
- Low Blood Pressure
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle Fatigue and Weakness
- Irregular Heartbeat
Causes of Low Potassium
These are a few things that can be a potential cause of low potassium levels in a human body.
- High sodium diets and low in fruits and vegetables
- Kidney disorders
- Prolonged fasting
- Excessive intake of licorice over prolonged periods
- Intense Drinking
- Excessive elimination of Potassium during urination or bowel movements
- Excessive intake of carbenoxolone
Foods High in Potassium
Finally, here is a list of some foods that are high in potassium. Try consuming these to avoid lack of potassium, or if you are suffering from low potassium, try consuming more and more of these and try to plan your diet accordingly.
Baked potatoes(contains huge amount of potassium, i.e. 1 potato contains 1081mg potassium)
Cooked brussel sprouts
Raisins(people suffering from a lack of pottasium in their body should try having raisins as 1 cup of raisins contain 1089 mg potassium)
Dry dates (you can get 271 mg of potassium by consuming just 5 dry dates)
Dry figs (consuming 2 dry figs will give you 271 mg of potassium)
How much Potassium?
It is recommended that the daily potassium intake of an adult should be 4.7 grams a day. People involved in hard exercises may require more potassium in a day.
Who should avoid having large amounts of potassium
People who have kidney problems or take certain other medications may risk having potassium build up in their systems. And too much potassium can be just as harmful as too little.
Visit XYZhealth.com for health information. The website has some useful information on health and nutrition. I am sure you will find the information useful.
More by this Author
Growing new plants saves you money and it is fun. It is an amazing experience watching your seeds turning into seedlings and then turning into trees. Here are two main methods of propagating palm trees. You can grow...
I am a big lover of palm trees and here I am going to share some of my favorite palm trees with you. Kentia palms are beautiful palms native to the Lord Howe island of Australia. Now, these plants have reached almost...
I have collected these random facts from various sources on the internet(like Wikipedia), so they may or may not be true. Now please proceed to reading these interesting random bits. Butterflies cannot fly if their...