Why did I have diabetes during pregnancy?
Before talking about diabetes during pregnancy we need to know what is diabetes. Almost all of us have some idea about it. Diabetes is one of the most common diseases in the world. There are two kinds of diabetes -Diabetes Insipidus and Diabetes Mellitus.
- Diabetes Insipidus is related to the production of vasopressin.Vasopressin is a hormone that is secreted by the posterior lobe of pituitary gland. It is mainly responsible for reducing water loss by acting on the renal tubules. It helps in concentrating the urine. In other words, it reduces the excretion of water from our body by concentrating it. When there is decreased secretion of vasopressin, it causes the production of large volumes of urine.
- Diabetes Mellitus is related to insulin deficiency. In case of Diabetes Meillitus 1 (DM 1) , there is absolute deficiency of insulin. The B cell of pancreas cannot produce insulin in DM1 due to destruction of thise cells. In case of DM 2, there are disorders like: Insulin resistance, impaired insulin secretion and increase glucose production.
What does insulin do?
The work of insulin is to move glucose to the cells so that they can be utilized. when there is increase in glucose and decrease insulin, the condition is characterized as diabetes. This glucose is often stored as fat which leads to obesity of the individual.
Have you had any abortions or miscarriage?See results without voting
Things to remember
Prenatal check ups is a must
Check your blood glucose level
Avoid smoking and drinking alchohol
Obesity to be controlled with exercises for pregant ladies and medical therapy
Husband to be supportive
Health of mother will affect the health of the baby
Pregancy is a gift
Pregnancy is one of the beautiful things in women's lives. The gift of being given a chance to give birth to a child is one of the things all women desire for.This is a stage when women are very sensitive. They shouls be taken care emotionally and physically. Emotional and physical health is a must to bring forth the baby. Nutrition is a must. Regular prenatal check ups should not be avoided. The family and the husband should always be supportive. The fetus's health depends upon the mothers health. So, we must always keep this in mind. This is to all the readers who is now reading it. Please take care of her.
What is gestational diabetes?
What is the cause of gestational diabetes? During pregnancy there are physiological and hormonal changes. Do you know about placenta? Placenta is attached to the fetus with the help of umbilical cord. This placenta is attached to the wall of mother's uterus. The nutrition to the baby goes to the placenta and then to the baby. In other words, placenta is responsible for supplying nutrition to the baby. This placenta is responsible for production of various hormones for the protection of the mother and the baby. However, these hormones are responsible for making a mother develop gestational diabetes.
What are the hormones involved?
The hormones produced by the placenta are Cortisol , Estriol, Human Placental Lactogen, Progesterone etc. These hormones decreases the insulin's effect in a mother. The body is less sensitive to insulin due to these hormones. In other words, these hormones have antagonistic effect on insulin. And the problem amplifies more when the mother B cells is not able to produce insulin.Therefore, there is increase in glucose in the body leading to gestational diabetes.
Why are babies of diabetic mothers overweight?
The exceesive glucose in mother travels to the baby throught the placenta. As a result, the baby starts to gain weight too. The baby's body starts producing insulin resulting in the hyperplasia of fetal B cells to defend it.
1. Age above 25 or below 25 (If it is below 25 , it is low risk)
2. Overweight and obese patients have a high chance of developing GD. These factors can develop complications during pregnancy. Not just GD but pregnancy induced hypertension, pre-eclampsia, placenta previa and more.
3. Patients who have a history of smoking and drinking alcohol. As we know that whatever mother feeds, it affects the baby.Alcohol could cause growth retardation in children. And smoking can affect the health of the fetus and the mother both.
4. Mothers who have sedentary lifestyle can be harmful. Even during pregancy, one should do simply tasks . There are yoga exercises for preganant women too. Similarly, healthy food should be eaten instead of foods conataining fat and cholesterol.
5. Women suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome also have high chances of developing GDM.
How to know if you're suffering too?
Actually there is a screening strategy to detect if it is a low risk, average risk or high risk of GDM.If you have checked all the risk factors above then it's possible that you are suffering from GDM. Also, if you had pregnancy losses in your second and third (and so on) pregnany then it is good to check your glucose level. If you gave birth to an overweight child above 4000 gms then it could mean that you have GDM too. Remember, it is always good to screen your glucose level. It is for the safety of you and your baby. Nowadays, there are kits to check your glucose level at home. It is also good to have regular prenatal check- ups. This could reduce maternal mortality, fetal mortality, maternal complications and fetal abnormalities.
What are the maternal and fetal effects
What are the side effects of GDM ? To know that please wait for my other hub. I hope I could help mothers who were curious to know about GDM. I have a suggestion to all dear mothers. Please always screen your glucose level. Please reduce the consumption of alchohol and ciagrettes. Please consume fruits and vegetables rather than taking high cholesterol food. If you can, please perform light exercises that is okay for pregant mothers. Pregant mothers need rest. So please take enough rest too.
If you would like to know about any other maternal disease please let me know. I will come up with a hub especially for mothers. Till then! Happy pregnancy! God bless your child.
More by this Author
American Beauty is a movie that portrays characters with different mental disorders.Although most of us might take it simply as a movie,it is also a study material for those interested in psychology.This is a short...
Are you tired of people calling you shorty? Have you stopped growing already but want to be confident like tall people? Binaural music has been said by some to stimulate growth even in older people.
Don't envy those who have high and sexy cheek bones. Learn how to make your own cheekbones more prominent naturally using facial exercises, makeup, and fitness best practices.