Pro Ana – New Anorexic Cult (Explicit!)
First, I apologise for the explicitness of the photo’s in this article, but I really want people to see the seriousness of the impact Pro Ana websites are having on young people. If you do not want to be disturbed, please close this page now.
Pro Ana websties promote Anorexia Nervosa - They urge children/teenagers to celebrate anorexia as a lifestyle rather than a disorder and they are growing fast. A lot of petitions for them to be banned or closed down are now being made and I personally think the government should intervene. The Royal College of Psychiatrists have urged action to tackle Pro ana Websites Danger - Press Release 18/09/09
(Anorexia is an eating disorder. it is also a psychological disorder. It goes beyond out-of-control dieting. The individual continues the endless cycle of dieting/losing weight often to a point close to starvation in order to feel a sense of control over the body).
I searched for one of these Websites, which are hard to find but after nearly half an hour, I finally found one. It was shocking. This website gave all the motivation you could ever need to look thin - backed up with hundreds of diets (food diets, different types of fasting, medicines to buy on-line to be thin and lots of photo’s of thin people which they called “thinspiration”. I have not posted the link here, incase this article is read by teens who are searching for such websites.
I do not want to write much on this but would like to bring the latest Anorexia issue to people’s attention. If you hear about it or see someone who is interested in it, please discourage them. Also, please note it affects both boys and girls.
What really sent shivers through me was the prayer below (which is why I put cult in my title). Please read and notice how youngsters are being lured psychologically into being thin. It seems like a Death Prayer to me.
I offer you my soul, my heart and my bodily functions. I give you all my earthly possessions.
I seek your wisdom, your faith and your featherweight. I pledge to obtain the ability to float, to lower my weight to the single digits, I pledge to stare into space, to fear food, and to see obese images in the mirror. I will worship you and pledge to be a faithful servant until death does us part.
If I cheat on you and procreate with Ronald McDonald, Dave Thomas, the colonel or that cute little dog. I will kneel over my toilet and thrust my fingers deep in my throat and pray for your forgiveness.
Please Ana, don't give up on me. I'm so weak, I know, but only you with your strength inside me will I become a woman worthy of love and respect. I'm begging for you not to give up, I'm pleading with my shallow breathes and my pale skin. I bleed for you, suffer leg pains, headaches and fainting spells.
Today, I renew our friendship and resolve to be faithful to you year long, lifelong. I begin each year with a 3 day fast in honor of you. If you give me the strength to fade away I will love you and worship you forever.
Love Always, Amanda. (insert your own name in place of mine)
Anorexic People want to look like skinny Celebrities
Being Anorexic - Signs to look out for.
- They have a rapid, drastic weight loss in such a short period of time.
- The person only likes to eat low fat food or food with low calories. They tend to have an obsession of calories and are always counting their calorie in-take. They might even keep a food diary.
- They play with their food or hide it. They avoid eating and sometimes excuse themselves from eating. They also tend to throw up after eating. If the person lives with family, they might hide their food under the pretence that they are going to eat in their bedroom.
- Always criticizes the body when standing in front of a mirror. They are never thin enough and refuse to believe they have problems with their body weight.
- They may use diet pills or laxatives etc.
- Too much exercise that can be gruelling or punishing.
- Reading a lot on weight loss or visiting websites that promote unhealthy ways to lose weight.
- Often feeling cold, feeling dizzy and having headaches.
- Low self esteem. It’s a pity that in the West, being slim is considered being beautiful and slim celebrities also contribute as youngsters want to look like them.
PS. You have to be very observant, as they are good at hiding symptoms. Example, a person who throws up in the toilet after a meal, could leave the tap running in the bathroom, so you don’t hear them while they stick their fingers in their throat and throw up.
Thanks for reading and I hope we can all help to support.
**Help for Anorexia
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Care4Anorexics (an account I set up in May 2010 to share lots of useful info, encouragement and inspiration - for people who want to beat Anorexia).
EatingDisorders ~ Inspiring Stories •*¨*•✩✬
- Anorexia / Eating Disorders - Positive Affirmations
This is part 2 of my Hub: Pro Ana – New Anorexic Cult (Explicit), written to help support those who are fighting Anorexia. Transform your life through affirmations Affirmations are positive statements....
More by this Author
How to stay fit and stop tiredness.
10 Reasons not to feel fed up with life. Don't throw in the Towel. You have so much to live for.
Things I have personally noticed about people who laugh a lot. Thought provoking. Laughter is Good.