Read How Top Hubpages No Soap Radio | Protect Yourself From Mosquitoes with Natural Mosquito Plant Repellents & Bug Oils
Why I'm Doing Research on Repellants?
Mosquito born diseases are on the upswing across all continents and homeopaths on my network have been posting "how-to-cure" articles due to the rise in dengue fever and malaria in India, Africa and South America.
Many serious illnesses like West Nile virus, dog heart worm, The Arboviral Encephalitides [Eastern equine encephalitis, Japanese encephalitis, La Crosse encephalitis, St. Louis encephalitis, and Western equine encephalitis], Dengue Fever, Malaria and Rift Valley Fever are all transmitted via the mosquito.
I wanted to find some ways to keep the bugs off naturally, so I turned to Hubpages. Once I got started, I couldn't stop reading the many hubs. This hub compiles all of them in one place for you to click and read more in-depth from these summaries and hints.
Discovery News | Human body odor attracts mosquitoes. A new paper written by bio-medical expert Smallegange Renate explains how his investigation of human perspiration can be bate for two types of mosquitoes. His work on the Improvement of a synthetic lure for Anopheles gambiae using compounds produced by human skin microbiota with Verhulst Niels O, Takken Willem, Dicke Marcel, and Schraa Gosse [Chemical ecology of interactions between human skin microbiota and mosquitoes] may propagate the invention of new pesticides or other approaches that prevent or inhibit mosquitoes from biting humans.
What's in our perspiration?
- carbon dioxide
- lactic acid
- 7 carboxylic acids
A new paper in Trends in Parasitology, 20 January 2011, 10.1016/j.pt.2010.12.009 check out www.cell.com / trends / parasitology / abstract / S1471-4922(10)00261-8 and learn if sweaty skin is an invitation to bite.
- On the web in news.discovery.com in the human section you will find a story aobut how human sweat smells. 110223
- Your biomedical experts web page biomedexperts.com has lists of resource articles. One by Smallegange provides data on smells, chemical breakdown and sweat 1321337/Renate_C_Smallegange
There is an APP for mobile device that emits Frequency to Stop Mosquitoes from Biting
Making A Trap To Keep Them From Landing on YOU!
List of Base Oils
An all inclusive list of Base Oils & Herbs for your recipes.
- Ageratum plant Oil
- Almond Oil
- Basil Oil
- Bee balm Oil
- Bergamot Oil
- Castor Oil
- Catnip Oil
- Cedar wood Oil
- Cinnamon Oil
- Citronella Oil
- Clove Oil
- Cymbopogon nardus
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Fennel Oil
- Garlic Oil
- Geranium Oil
- Horsemint Oil
- Juniper Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Lemon Oil
- Lemonbalm Oil
- Lemongrass Oil
- Mint Oils
- Mugwort Oil
- Onion Oil
- Orange Oil
- Patchouli oil
- Pennyroyal oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Pojoba oil
- Rose Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Sagebrush Oil
- Spearmint Oil
- Tansy Oil
- Thyme Oil
- Tree oil
- Wormwood Oil
- Yarrow Oil
Preparing Aromatic Room Spray
Learning About The Incidents of Malaria and Dengue Fever
As shown in the first video, our main deterrent and method for reducing the population of mosquitoes is to eliminate their breeding habitat. The second best method for mosquitoes that bite at night are to sleep under netting tents. Mosquitoes spreading Dengue fever bite during the day, so the nighttime netting won't prevent the spread of this disease so much.
- Ingenuity created a mosquito vacuum.
Facts and Numbers | Malaria and Dengue fever
- An ever increasing rate the worldwide incidence of Malaria reaches 300 to 500 million people annually.
- Malaria alone kills more than a million people worldwide each year; 90 percent of them in Africa and 70 percent children under the age of five.
- In the United States, approximately 1,000 cases are reported yearly. Approximately 25 - 50% of cases may go unreported.
- As a result of synthetic chemical insecticide and pesticide use, insects become drug and insecticide resistant, and the diseases become more virulent than just 5 decades ago.
- Malaria is transmitted from person to person through the bite of a female Anopheles—a species of mosquito prevalent throughout sub-Saharan Africa and considered to be the most dangerous.
- Some 2.5 billion people – two fifths of the world's population – are now at risk from dengue. WHO currently estimates there may be 50 million dengue infections worldwide every year. and lead to death The Mosquito Vacuum helps to control the mosquito population in your yard, so you can spend more time enjoying the yard and less time battling bugs
- Dengue Fever causes a severe flu-like illness, and sometimes a potentially lethal complication called dengue haemorrhagic fever continues to spread this decade and causes great concern for the health care community.
- Dengue haemorrhagic fever is a leading cause of serious illness and death among children in some Asian countries and those with weakened immune systems.
- Mosquito-transmitted viral diseases cause brain inflammation/encephalitis.
- About two fifths of the world's population are now at risk for Dengue Fever
- Dengue is found in tropical and sub-tropical climates worldwide, mostly in urban and semi-urban areas.
- There is no specific allopathic treatment for dengue, but appropriate medical care frequently saves the lives of patients with the more serious dengue haemorrhagic fever.
- The only way to prevent dengue virus transmission is to combat the disease-carrying mosquitoes.
Oh The Things We Learn
Liquid soap dispensers that are simply refilled may be full of bacteria that can spread germs. Preferable are sealed individual dispensers that will not harbor a build up of bacteria that can cause rashses, urinary tract and eye infections.
Of course, antibacterial soap only promotes mutation to more resistant bacteria. I wonder how regular bar soap stacks up?
Test Your Knowledge
Were you aware of the rising incidence in both Malaria and Dengue?See results without voting
Watch video below with all kinds of great tips for your garden.
We know that antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria with the bad and then our digestive tracts suffer and take time to repopulate with good bacteria. The same thing happens the environment when we blanket spray poisons and toxins in our gardens. We wipe out the good and beneficial insects, like bees and praying mantis and lady bugs, along with the detrimental insects that carry disease.
This explains why Natural Pesticide Use is so important. You might like to read how Fire Ants disappear with the use of Homeopathic Formica Rufa. And, you can basically do this with all of your pest insects. Turn the insect into a homeopathic remedy and spray away. It's safe and natural. No toxins. No poisons. And it works!
- Breda O Connor started an enlightening discussion about weed control, organic gardening and fire ants on Homeopathy World Community September 19, 2010
- Dr Rajneesh Kumar Sharma, MD posted an excellent article on Homeopathy World Community about Dengue Fever and Homeopathy on September 21, 2010.
- For another well constructed video check out "Organic pest control - Natural bug and insect repellents by 'Howdini' on YouTube
- Tulwave on Hubpages has also written about insects and insecticides. She uploaded a video called "Bug Band As Seen On TV Commercial" on her channel.
How To Make Your Own Essential Oils
OKAY ~ LETS GET STARTED
Gleaning the best tips, skim through this compilation of all the hubs dealing with safe pest removal, wearing protective garments, cleaning up your garden and all the insect-free methods and recipes.
- This hub focuses on the TOP 9 repellent plants: 1) Zodia (Evodia suaveolens), 2) Lavender (Lavandula sp), 3) Geranium/Cranesbill (Geranium sp), 4) Fragrant Roots/Vetiver grass (Vetiveria zizanioides), 5) Lemon grass and 6) Citronella grasses (Cymbopogon nardus and Cymbopogon winterianus), 7) Marigold (Tagetes erecta), 8) Pepper(Piper nigrum), 9) Garlic (Allium sativum)
- The vetivera plant repel insects due to their etheric oil content, even though they emit a fragrant odor for humans. Particularly, vetiver grass is dried and used as fragrance inside wardrobe to repel moths and molds.
Easy way to Make a Natural Insect Repellent
- Learn more about storing your home made repellent. The top ingredient is GARLIC due to the active chemical allicin! Click to get a recipe using garlic oil as the base. My suggestion is to eat tons of garlic, because it goes into the bloodstream and moves out through the pours in your skin. Obviously, we all have experienced garlic breath; so make it a family affair.
- We learn that perspiration attracts mosquitoes more than ever. So, it would seem emitting the garlic through your sweat might repel the little buggers.
- Although citronella has been a traditional repellent, you will hear the media say it doesn't work. I'm more concerned with the fact that it may be carcinogenic.
Top Natural Insect Repellants
- Pepperlynn76 warns us against the use of products with DEET as causing seizures and being unsafe in any amount.
- Listed are three new products that are safe to humans
- Herbal Bug X Spray
- Herbal Armor Insect Spray
- Don't Bite Me!
Make A Natural Insect Repellent
- Something a bit different. Do you live in an area where the landscape has clay or mud? So get some wet blue clay or mud and cover every inch of flesh with a thin layer.
- Use of bait jars and heat source to attract insects at night.
- Just like TheresaAnn, I'm mostly concerned with applying natural safe ingredients to the skin, because of the derma's absorbent properties. We don't want to catch a disease, but we don't want to put harmful chemicals into our bodies, either.
- Learn about carrier oils and types of storage bottles.
- HINT: Remember to apply Natural Repellents Frequently
- Listed are other ingredients: clove, celery oil, neem oil, tartan oils,
Cheap Mosquito and Biting Fly Repellent
Switching to a natural insect or bug repellent is a good choice since it helps preserve the environment AND your family's health by preventing the diseases that are spread by the bites of insects. Not only are you protecting the environment, but you are also preserving the health of the entire family since you prevent various diseases that could arise from insect or bug bites.
Below are a few suggested recipes that you can make at home.
- (Pyrethrum comes from the flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium)
- FACTOID: A study published in the July 14, 2004 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry reports that the compounds in Cinnamon Oil are effective at killing mosquito larvae.
- Other base liquids that you can use to mix the insect repellant oils include: olive oil, witch hazel, vodka, and alcohol.
- Recommendations: Citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, and patchouli oil citronella oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil, pennyroyal oil, and jojoba oil, Lemongrass oil, almond oil
- Alcohols: Vodka, Everclear
- Giantsteps loves spiders. You've got to see his photographs. He has good suggestions about keeping them out of your bed.
- Zsuzsy BeeHUBPAGES ELITE
- Provides information about DEET like how to apply and precautions against using on infants and health regulations.
- Make A Natural Insect Spray
- Citronella recipe using borax and beeswax
- Catnip recipe with oil, alcohol and witch hazel
- Multibug recipe with glycerin, many oils, and witch-hazel
- Find out more about ticks and recipes to repel them including mint recipe,and other precautions to getting bit.
- She concludes with links for when you've already been bit.
How To Make Insect Repellent
How to Make Mosquito Repellent
Natural Bug Repellent Recipes
- A basic rule of thumb: Mix the repellent 5-10% essential oil. Mix 1 part essential oil with 10-20 parts carrier oil or alcohol.
- VIDEO: Crazy Mosquite song. It's really cute! You will relate, if mosquitoes bother you! If not you'll dance anyway!
- Something unique she recommends Buy a natural aloe vera gel product from your local store and even some honey in her recipe.
Buying a Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Has claims to protect against Lyme Disease
- Not the natural way to go. Deadly to insects, must not be good for people either.
Natural Bug Repellents Gave These Tips
- Well documented hub on these natural plants 1) Lemon 2) Eucalyptus bug repellent 3) Citronella 4) Lemon Grass 5) Garlic 6) Catnip
- Great Tip! According to a Spanish television program, to deter mosquitoes put 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Add a handful of cloves and leave for 1 day to soak.
- Apply to skin in the evening to ward off mosquitoes carrying malaria
Bug Band Reviews - The Bug Band Wristband Insect Repellent
- A patented insect repellent composed of Gerniol from the geranium plant manufactured by Effective Environmental Solutions [EES] of Georgia
- Keep your garden covered instead of you, or maybe in addition to you!Use Lime Juice as an Organic PesticideUsing Garlic, Onion and Pepper as an Organic Insect Repellent
- Plant an insect-repelling garden. Place Insect Repelling Plants in your Garden Plants such as Marigolds, Tansy, Sage, Mint, Garlic, Catnip, Basil and onions,Use all plants from which you obtain those oils To repel mosquitoes, utilize plants such as Citronella/Lemon grass, Lemon balm, Lavender, Marigolds, Garlic, Basil, Rosemary, and Tansie
Picaridin A New Effective Product
View the Video Above to Learn about Picaridin
- A new insect repellent chemical to the U.S., but has been used in Europe for years to repel bugs. Expert Steve Curtis, an outdoorsman is a manager in the camping/backpacking department at Bill Jackson's Shop for Adventure in Pinellas Park, Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- Great article about the negative aspects of Deet.Highly recommended.
Tent Camping - Pest Proof Your Campsite Prevent Insects and Bears From Invading
- Keep our camping site clean and protected.
- HINT Dryer sheets tucked in pockets and shoes is a good insect repellent. Tuck a few dryer sheets around the edges of your tent too.
- Video: Bears in a campsite
- Great Hub by Angela Harris
- HINT: build bat houses that will attract bats to set up homes, your mosquito problem will be solved.
- Build Martin Bird homes to keep mosquito populations down
- Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil rubbed full strength onto the skin as a natural way to repel mosquitoes
- Neem oil is a natural insect repellent. She says the smell is terrible and not good for humans, but good on pets
- WARNING: Insects becoming resistant to DEET!
- Spray Listerine in the area, and I just had to wash the grandkids hair with listerine for lice, so who would have thought for mosquitoes, too!
- Mosquito Bug Zappers, of course.
Home-Made Skin Protectant
- Take fresh celery and put it through the food processor or juicer. Then apply the juice directly on your skin
Herbal Insect Repellant
- Burt's Bees Product. Mr Burt is from my neck of the woods and went to NC State university working on bees before his business took off and became independently wealthy from all his marvelous organic natural cosmetics and bee/wax products
The Invisible Gardener Show
- How To Get Rid Of Those Pesky Bugs In Your Backyard.
- Natural Pesticide Recipes
- AWESOME hub by invisible gardener.com
- Natural Pesticide Recipes Marigold Spray (Calendula officinalis)Elder Leaf PesticideOrange Peel SprayPepper TeaVinegar FungicideAWESOME VIDEO from Impactusing sesame seed oiland Dr Bronners Peppermint soap
- Thumbs up to sharkarama
- Learn what attracts mosquitoes
- Find out about chemical repellents
- HINT: Researchers at Iowa State University claim that nepetalactone, the oil contained in catnip, is ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET
- Learn about oils, candles and vegetation that repels insects
- HINT: Agastache cana, commonly called Texas hummingbird mint, bubblegum mint, giant hyssop, or giant hummingbird mint are excellent repellents
- Warning: Do not allow direct contact with pets. Do not use all of these essential oils around cats because they can irritate their sensitive sense of smell and nasal passages.
- The author says essential oils of ANY kind can damage your pets liver or kidney
- Highly Rated at 90% by kerryg with 1004 followers Woo-hoo - READ IT
- HINT: Be careful to change water in bird baths at least two times per week.
- Taking Care of your ponds: If you own a pond, consider adding a waterfall or fountain to prevent the water from becoming stagnant. Adding koi is another good idea - koi voraciously eat mosquito larvae, pupae, and adults.
- Attract Frogs to you home
- Chickens~ If you live in an area where they are allowed, domestic poultry also make fantastic mosquito control assistants. The best species include chickens, guinea hens, and ducks.
- Stay awake from eating sugary and processed foods
- Avoid perfumes, soaps and laundry detergents. Now how do you do that?
- VITAMIN B-1 [thiamin]
- HINT: When making your natural sprays from your kitchen, a tried an true spray very effective is water with a little dish soap added. This will have an antiseptic quality and is useful against plant diseases. USE JUST A DROP
- Use a garlic bulb recipe!
- Insect Killing Lights and Traps may harm benefticial insects and honey bees
- Rate up this awesome hub by Wealthmadehealthy!
- Making your own natural pesticide is really easy and will kill a variety of bugs which terrorize your plants and some of these bugs are so hungry they end up devouring what you had planned to eat yourself, or destroying your prize winning roses.
- Garlic and Onions and Dish Soap
- Garlic, Peppers & Onion Insecticide: Spray on Roses, Azaleas and Vegetables
- Salt Spray Tomato Leave Spray and SLUG BAIT TRAP
- Horticultural Oil Spray with Peppermint Tea
- Japanese Beetle Trap with bananas!
- Video: Bug Band Natural Mosquito Repellent Commercial
- I threw this one in, even though it is not about mosquitoes
The Invisible Garden
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOMfounded Homeopathy World Community social network. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter. Visit debbybruck.com
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider
- If You Enjoy Hubpages You may want to Join Now.
- Homeopathic Remedies Target Symptoms of MRSA Staph I...
A Safe Effective Approach to healing MRSA based upon Hahnemann's Homeopathic Laws of the Similimum and Minimum Dose. Energetic Healing at the quantum level that requires an expert in the arts and science of homeopathy.
- Homeopathic Formic Ant Remedy Formica Rufa Relieves Rheumatic Arthritis Gout, Acid, Stings and Itchi
Extensive article about homeopathy and other scientific facts related to one homeopathic remedy for arthritis, rheumatism, gout, stiff joints, weak vision, eczema, itching, hives, nettle rash, shingles, edema, headache, inflammation, cough, nephritis
- What Pesticides Do To Reduce Mosquito and West Nile Virus Affects Bee Populations
Pesticides used to reduce mosquito populations and diseases that are spread through this vector also diminish bee populations and affect human health.
More by this Author
Learn about Isopathy as compared to Homeopathy
- 36Homeopathic Formic Ant Remedy Formica Rufa Relieves Rheumatic Arthritis Gout, Acid, Stings and Itching
Extensive article about homeopathy and other scientific facts related to one homeopathic remedy for arthritis, rheumatism, gout, stiff joints, weak vision, eczema, itching, hives, nettle rash, shingles, edema, headache,...
Learning about ovarian cysts and how to heal the emotional, physical and mental scars and pains through alternative practices including homeopathy.