Psoriasis - Chronic Inflammatory Skin Disease: Causes & Treatments
Psoriasis is one of the most dangerous chronic autoimmune diseases that are seen on the skin. Psoriasis causes rapid skin cell reproduction resulting in red, dry patches of thickened skin. Severe Psoriasis cause entire body fully covered with thick, red, scaly skin. Psoriasis affects people all over the world but reports show that more than 5 million Americans alone suffer from psoriasis. It affects both sexes and usually appears in the age of 15-30 years.
- Genetic predisposition or hereditary can be said as a factor for this disease.
- Environmental factors like season change effects the skin in different ways.
- Abnormality in the metabolism of amino acids and proteins.
- Infections may lead the skin cells turn red and scaly skin.
- Disorder of excessive growth and reproduction of skin cells.
- Injuries can be another factor.
Psoriasis normally occurs as red or pink areas of thickened, raised, and dry skin. It usually effects on elbows, knees, and scalp. Pinpoint depressions or white spots on the nail are called the Nail psoriasis. On the scalp, it may look like severe dandruff with dry flakes and red areas of skin. It may be small flattened bumps, large thick plaques of raised skin, red patches, and pink mildly dry skin to big flakes of dry skin that flake off.
Psoriasis can be mainly classified as of 4 types:
1. Plaque Psoriasis:
It is also known as psoriasis vulgaris which is the most common type. The skin appears red and is covered with silvery scales and inflamed. It can appear on scalp, arms, legs, trunk or any part of the skin the typical areas affected are the knees and elbows.
2. Pustular Psoriasis:
It is basically uncommon type of psoriasis. Pustular Psoriasis is characterized by the appearance of pus-filed pimples and sores in clusters. The skin under and around these bumps is inflamed and red.
3. Guttate Psoriasis:
This is another uncommon form of Psoriasis. Guttate Psoriasis is characterized by small, salmon-pink scaly drop like lesions on the skin.
4. Flexural Psoriasis:
Flexural psoriasis can affect any area where skin is folded or rubs together.. Areas most affected are the armpits, under the breasts, the groin and genital area, between the buttocks.
Remedies for Psoriasis:
Natural psoriasis treatments help to target the source of the problem with no damaging side effects. The treatment of psoriasis depends on its severity and location. The natural psoriasis treatment choices include:
- Dead Sea Salts is a traditional psoriasis treatment to healing naturally. Application of olive oil after the salt bath is also effective.
- Sunlight is the best and natural remedy for psoriasis.
- Herbs have historically been used for psoriasis treatment and skin conditions. Use of gentle herbal psoriasis creams and shampoos can control this disease up to an extend.
- Vitamin E therapy works to hydrate the skin may also provide protection against harmful UV rays.
- Bitter gourd is a valuable home remedy for psoriasis. Cabbage leaves can be used in the form of compresses.
Psoriasis is not contagious. Maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet can improve general health and have a positive impact on psoriasis.
Facedoctor Products on Amazon
Links and Resources
- Sterling's Derma Mist for Psoriasis Treatment
Even though researches are still on, it has already been used for curing various incurable diseases including psoriasis. Like every other natural psoriasis treatments, colloidal silver is also free from side effects. Another advantage is that, it can
- NEW Sterling's Dermatologist's Answer to Psoriasis and Eczema Page