How to Spot Tooth Whitening RIPOFFS and Online Dental Scams. Teeth Don't Lose Your Money
The tooth whitening scammers are using a new name. Beware of Ultra White, Dazzle White, DentaSmile,and Superstar Smiles-these are the same people the following hub is written about. Don't be sucked into their ad campaigns-you can get legitimate teeth whitening systems at your local drugstore or on Amazon.
Back in December or January I ran across an Internet ad offering a SECRET new tooth whitening program that some mom had DISCOVERED. The ad stated that if you used two tooth whitening products together you would get amazing results. The ad even had comments from hygienists and people who worked in dental offices swearing to the authenticity of the products. Best of all you could try the products for only $1.95!
Well needless to say this ad piqued my interest. My teeth needed whitening and being able to try it for only $1.95-sounded good to me so I ordered it online. BIG MISTAKE. I started researching the product and company after my order and found out that although the trial offer was awesome-when you ordered the trial you were automatically enrolled in their "monthly" shipping program where they automatically ship the product to your home and charge your credit card $139.95 unless you cancelled within 14 days. To check out some complaints against the company go to: www.consumeraffairs.com/cosmetics/purely_white.html.
UPDATE: I just checked this link and sure enough there are DOZENS of complaints identical to mine. I believe that these complaints are just the tip of the iceberg though-there are many people out there who are too embarrassed to file a complaint. I think that everyone who has been negatively effected by this company should get together and discuss a class action lawsuit against all of the companies involved to get them to stop their fraudulent practices.
READ THE SMALL PRINT
Here is the small print on the ads:
*Trial Policy: Our *Trial policy requires you to understand certain important dates. The policy, and the important dates for You to know, are as follows:
- Beginning on the day that you place an order for a product (“Product”) from the Website, Your ten (10) day *Trial period begins (“*Trial Period”).The *Trial Period is calculated in calendar days, not business days.
- You will be shipped a thirty (30) day supply of the Product You ordered. Generally, Your Product is shipped 3 to 5 days after placing your order. Delivery time is subtracted from your *Trial Period, and will reduce the number of days allocated to your *Trial Period. If you want to extend your *Trial Period due to slow postal delivery or delayed pickup, you must call Our Customer Service Department. Reasonable requests (as determined by us) to extend Your *Trial Period generally will be granted.
- If you are satisfied with the Product and wish to continue to receive the Product on a monthly basis, you need do nothing else. Upon the expiration of the *Trial Period, Your credit card will be billed for the full cost of the Product that you ordered (i.e., a thirty day supply).
- On the thirty second day following the date you first ordered Your Product, We will send you another thirty (30) day supply of the Product, and the credit card you provided to us will be automatically billed for the Product.
- Upon signing up for the 10 day trial membership you will be charged up to $3.97 depending on various shipping and initial offer promotions at that time but not more than $3.97 upon signing. If not cancelled, you will be charged up to $89.97 upon completion of the 10 day trial period. Monthly thereafter or 30 days from the original order date, the charge will reoccur monthly at a total of up to $89.97 until cancelled.
- This charge will reoccur monthly at a total of up to $89.97 until cancelled
- If You are not satisfied with the Product and wish to cancel future deliveries of the Product, You must call Our Customer Service Department prior to the expiration of the *Trial Period and cancel your order. You need not return the Product to us if you cancel within the *Trial Period.
- All transactions will be charged a Non Refundable $1.25 Convenience fee for use of website within 60 days of use
Natural Wellness Resources
I thought I had done what I needed to do to not have to deal with this company-boy was I surprised when I opened the mail today-April 9, 2010. I received a letter from Natural Wellness Resources from Wilmington Delaware stating that I owed their company $139.95 for Purely White STAT or they would turn me over to a collection agency! Seems as though they charged my Debit card and my bank declined the charge (Yeah Arvest!!).
I called the number that was on the collection letter 1-866-398-2183 and spoke with a gentleman named Quinton. I asked him if his company was a manufacturer or distributor of Purely White and he told me it was. I then explained the letter I received-he "researched" my account and sure enough-told me that I owed them $139.95. I asked him what the monthly charge for the product was and he told me $139.95. I asked him for my order date-which was 10/10/2009 (confirmed by my bank statement). I then asked him why I didn't owe him $139.95 for November, December, January, February, and March. He then told me that the $139.95 charge covered all those months. When I asked him what the monthly charge for the product was he could not tell me, instead he told me to get in touch with the manufacturer.
I reminded him that he told me earlier in the conversation his company NATURAL WELLNESS RESOURCES was the manufacturer of the product. We then argued over whether he had told me that they were the manufactuer or not so I offered to play the conversation back to him- because I was recording it. He said he would love to hear the recording so I asked him for a direct number to call him back-I explained that I did not want to stop recording our current conversation but would call him back and play it for him at a later time. He refused to give a me his direct number as well as the the company's website address. When I pressed him on the issue he hung up on me.
Legitimate Tooth Whitening Systems
The first thing I did after hanging up the phone was to get in touch with my bank and cancel the debit card that I had used for the initial order to prevent Natural Wellness Resources from using the account again. I then filed an online complaint with a consumer protection company. After doing that I decided to write this hub so that I could let my hubpages family know what had happened to me. It is my hope that people will learn from my dumb mistake and not order anything from either Natural Wellness Resources or Purely White.
If you want further information about either company and their unscrupulous practices you can check out the links that I have provided. This isn't the end to my story, so be sure to check back for updates.
UPDATE: May 2, 2010 Check out your credit report at http://www.annualcreditreport.com. There is no charge for getting a yearly copy of your credit reports and it is important that you see if your credit has been negatively effected by these SCAM companies. If any information from these companies shows up on any of your 3 reports-dispute it immediately. Keep a copy of the actual report-it will come in handy when a class action lawsuit is filed against these bogus companies and will prove that you have been damaged by them and deserve to be compensated.
UPDATE: MAY 11, 2009-I checked my email yesterday and unbelievably found a letter from Purely White telling me that I owed them $139 and if I didn't pay it I would be turned over to a collection agency-forgive me if I am wrong but didn't they already do that in April? They are upset because they once again tried to charge my debit card but BINGO were denied because I CANCELLED THE CARD! It's funny because I never received anything from the company except for their trial offer-and I already paid for that.
- The Top Five Reasons You Should Send Me a Dollar
Im a teacher and it's a well know secret that teachers spend a lot of their own money in their classrooms. I average spending between 50 and 75 a month in mine to provide the students with fun hands on activities that help them solidify their learning
Links to Information about Purely White and Natural Wellness Resources
- \'Whiter Smile\' Ads Can Leave Consumers Frowning
'Whiter Smile' Ads Can Leave Consumers Frowning
- Pure White - Winsomesmile Complaints - unauthorized charge from bank
Pure White - Winsomesmile Complaints: unauthorized charge from bank. Dental Services
- Dazzle White, Purely White and any other company they like to call themselves
DO NOT - DO NOT - Do Not use these people for a Trial - they have caught a lot of people - dont you be one of them - Where are the Trading Standards people - they should check people/Companies like this out. They seems to catch the less well off of u
Writing for Hubpages
Would you like to write for Hubpages? It's quick and easy just follow this link.
More by this Author
Learn from our mistakes in Tunica.
Blueberries are some of the healthiest fruits that you can add to your diet. They are low in calories and contain almost no fat. Blueberries have the highest antioxidant content of all fresh fruit and most vegetables;...
My husband Chris and I are veterans of the United States Air Force. We both went through six weeks of basic military training during the mid 1980's at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. Having gone through...