Radiations emitted from Computer screen and its harmful effects on health
Effects of Computer Radiations on our health
Today most of us cannot do without two things. One, Mobile phones two, Computers. Both are known to emit harmful radiations, electromagnetic radiation that harms us in different ways. There are many electronic products that we use today which have exposed us to harmful radiations. Computer radiation being one of them known as Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) which is also emitted from power lines, electrical sub-stations, TVs and other electrical and electronic appliances. Besides ELF Computers emit dangerous type of electromagnetic radiation, Microwave radiation. Routers, Wi-fi services, modems, printers, computers use microwave to provide radio communication between wireless-networked equipment. Radiation from computers is known to cause harm to our health. How much harm it causes depends on the intensity of these radiations and the frequency of exposure to these radiations.
There are some common harmful effects of computer radiation which most of us have experienced. For instance irritation to eyes and dryness due to computer radiation. Some other symptoms are as follows:
- Fatigue or tiredness after browsing the net for long hours.
- Inability to concentrate.Difficulty in focusing after spending some time on the computer.
- Headaches are frequent after exposure to computer.
- Psychological problems,sense of judgement gets affected.
- Anxiety and Depression.Feeling low and down for no reason.
- Insomnia or lack of sleep.
- Memory lapses
- Feeling breathless even if you have proper ventilation.
These symptoms can be due to some other reason also. But if you are otherwise healthy and use computer for long durations and have experienced these effects then it becomes a cause for concern.
Radiations from Computer
Laptop and Skin rash
Placing laptops on thighs for long durations can harm your skin especially when there is direct contact. The underside of the laptop is warmer approximately 50 Centigrade, enough to cause rash on bare skin. Prolonged exposure to heat source or infrared source results in mild red rash,wherein thinning of skin and underlying tissue is observed. Lesions may develop and patients may experience mild itchiness and burning sensation.This case is known as toasted skin syndrome.
Ten simple steps to protect yourself from computer radiations
1. Increase intake of food rich in Vitamin A and C for example carrots, tomatoes, apples and cherries. These vitamins help to reduce the harmful effects of computer radiation considerably.
2. Studies by some british scientists found that drinking two cups of green tea a day and having an orange used to help computer users against the computer radiation. Electromagnetic radiation from computers also cause dryness and irritation to your eyes. Bananas can be taken to counter the damage since it is an easy source of potassium. Coconut water also can be taken. Have already mentioned the benefits of coconut water in one of my hubs.
3. Proper ventilation is a must. Place a cooler near your computer. Computer screens are known to emit certain types of carcinogenic substances called bromine dibenzofuran which can be extremely harmful to your health. If you can place your computer near the window it will reduce the radiation to some extent.
4. Computer radiation is emitted in all directions therefore placement of computer is very important to reduce radiation. Maintain proper distance from the screen as the maximum radiation is from this direction. Ideally 80cms is recommended. The desktop PCs in our office each produce computer radiation of about 1 milligauss at 60 cm, stronger towards the rear end.
5. Buy a new model if you can, because older models release more radiations almost twice the amount of radiation compared to the new ones.
6. EMF Radiation filters are available which can reduce radiations. Radiation filters also called antiglare screens. They are not very expensive. Avoid keeping any metallic substance next to the computer as they reflect electromagnetic radiations.The magnetic portion of electromagnetic radiation is the most dangerous part which can penetrate anything. It does not prevent radiation completely but help to reduce these harmful radiations.
7. Exposure to computer radiation for long time can cause skin burn, dry wrinkled skin and photo aging. The damage to the skin is similar to sun damage. The best way to prevent our skin from harmful radiations is to cover those areas completely. Since we cannot cover our face to work in front of the computer so we can apply a facial mask to prevent ourselves from the rays to some extent at least. Wash your face frequently, this can help reduce the harmful effects of emf radiations. Also your eyes will be protected by the strain. While reading on computer our eyes need to focus and concentrating for long hours harms the eye.
8. Some plants like Cactus is known to absorb radiations from computer so place some cactus plants near your computer. It will absorb the radiations in its direction only, so to protect yourself you should place your computer at a comfortable distance, since you cannot place the cactus in front of your screen.
9. Adjust the brightness of your computer before using it. The brighter the screen higher the radiation. Therefore, try to adjust the screen brightness that is not too bright or too dark for your eyes to capture. Very low level of brightness may irritate your eyes and strain your eyes so it is not recommended. Ideally adjust the screen to your satisfaction where you don't find any strain on your eyes.
10. Avoid placing laptops on your lap. Studies show low sperm count. Place them on a desk with a comfortable distance. Head and trunk are the most affected region by these radiation especially radiation emitted by the screen. Laptops have LCD screens so they are comparatively safer but they too have some drawbacks as i have mentioned above. LCD computer screens are therefore preferred to protect from computer radiations.
These simple steps can help you protect from computer radiation.
Mobile phone radiations
- Mobile phones- Its harmful effects cannot be ignored anymore
Harmful effects of mobile phone radiation have become a debatable issue these days.Mobile technology uses electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range which is known to be harmful to human health. Other...
Mobile phones a boon or a bane
- Mobile phones -A boon or a bane
Mobile telephone service was introduced way back in 1946 in St Louis.During those days the range was only 20kms.Mobile telephony developed using two -way radios.Mobile technology was available in 1967,but the...
More by this Author
Have you ever wondered why soothing music acts like a tonic when you are stressed out and want to relax. Music has curative powers. Music is healing. The ancient system of Nada Yoga, acknowledges the impact of music on...
Everyone wants a natural glowing skin,which is clear of blackheads,acne,pigmentation and dark circles.Is your skin Oily? Then you may also be suffering from blackheads as well as whiteheads. Blackheads if left untreated...
Dark circles are a common sight these days. They make us look aged as well as pale and haggard. There are many causes for dark circles. Heredity,stress,anaemia are some common factors. There are some herbal remedies...