Reiki: Alternative Medicine real Practice or Business?
Reiki Healing is what?
Reiki is one of the fastest growing Alternative Medicine techniques around the world and Reiki healing is seen as having a real positive effect on clients' health. Unfortunately for some Practitioners or Masters it is just a business to make money. And when making money comes first problems arise every time.
Reiki, a new Alternative Medicine technique?
The history of Reiki begins in 1922 when a Japanese man, Mikao Usui, discovered this spiritual healing practice after a period of meditation on Mount Kurama. But this is not really true.
The concept of a Universal Life Force, the common translation of Reiki, dates back to the beginning of civilization: Greeks had Pneuma, Romans had Spiritus, Indians have Prana, Chinese have Qi or Chi, Catholics have the Holy Spirit, Native Americans have the Great Spirit and Japanese have Reiki. Plus Jedi Knights have the Force.
As you can see nothing new under the sun. Moreover every European King of the past was said to have the ability to cure diseases through the "laying on of hands" and there is also Jesus Christ's ability to heal. Throughout the East there are many techniques of increasing health through energy and a lot of them through the hands of a Practitioner. That is to say that the Universal Life Energy concept has been always present in human history, as much as the ability to heal with this energy. So Reiki healing is not something really new under the Sun.
So, what's the catch with Reiki Healing?
What makes Reiki so popular? Here are some of the reasons:
- One day training: no need to study for years (for the first level).
- Simple concept: energy is everywhere and can be used to heal.
- Simple technique: just put your hands where the energy needs to go.
- Simple Organization: three levels to reach.
- Low fees to learn: at least for the first level.
- High self esteem: you can become a "Master".
- Magic: you learn secret symbols to use to deal better with energy
- It works: maybe you don't heal but usually everyone feels better after a treatment.
I've studied Reiki, so I'm a Practitioner, I don't use the term Master, and on the basis of my further studies in Hypnosis I know Reiki Healing can work, and I'm going to tell you why soon. At the same time I agree that it's also a business, and I'll tell you why soon too.
Short yet interesting Chi use video.
Another interesting one.
Reiki as an Alternative Medicine Practice
Does Reiki Healing exists?
From a spiritual/religious point of view the idea that everything that exists is connected is pretty acceptable. China and India have an history far longer than the West, can they be wrong after all these years studying Chi or Prana? And in the West we have the Holy Spirit which is more or less the same thing.
Looking at the concept of Reiki from a kind of scientific point of view Albert Einstein in his Mass-Energy Equivalence concept stated that everything that has a mass has an energy, so everything that exists has an energy. Moreover everything has also an electric charge so that Reiki could be also considered a kind of electricity. The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy is never wasted but always transformed, so energy is always moving and transforming and changing. Then the idea that everything in this Universe is linked together in some ways becomes pretty right or acceptable.
But we can't see Reiki: well we can't also see radio waves but we can nevertheless use our cell phone or WiFi connection, right? And we have also that microwaves oven.
My own opinion on Reiki Healing:
I can't be sure about it existence but I've seen some demonstrations on animals and something seemed to happen, animals can't be influenced by beliefs so at least a change in Practitioner's hands temperature happens, if this is really the Universal Energy is another thing. And as a healing techniques on human beings there are many proofs that it works, and there are even some clinics beginning to test its real effects. I don't have any stone-carved certainty or proof but there are many scientific theories much more airy-fairy than the Reiki theory, so I'm pretty positively sided.
What I'm sure is that Reiki can heal the Practitioner, and this is for two reasons:
- The Law of Expectation: whatever you believe you can achieve, or whatever you expect deeply is probable to happen.
- Reiki can be a road to use our Inner Powers, the Powers of our Subconscious Mind.
That is we are entering into the field of Hypnosis and its powers.
So, how can it be that disregarding its real existance Reiki works?
Reiki healing as Self Treatment.
During a self session of Reiki the Practitioner must deeply relax (a kind of induction) and feel the healing energy coming from the Universe inside his body and feel it flowing throughout his body healing everything (suggestion).
Reiki Healing as Treatment to others.
During the session the client must deeply relax (induction), and listening to the soothing voice of the Practitioner feel the healing energy flow throughout his body (suggestion).
Conclusion: Yes Reiki Healing works. Maybe not really as it is commonly thought but it works nevertheless. Medicine too uses the Placebo Effect (based on the Law of Expectation) every day with astonishing results.
Be it a real healing life energy or a good self hypnosis technique Reiki can work.
Reiki not for Healing but for Business
There are many good Reiki "Masters" around, but not all "Masters" are good.
Now I'm going to give you some points to ponder, so you can decide if all this secrecy and business around Reiki and its healing ability is justified or not.
- Attunements: usually there are three levels of Reiki (but some schools have many more), each with an increasing cost, some third level attunement (the so called "Master" level) depending on the school can cost several thousands (?) dollars. Reality: Usui attuned himself, never created a "Master" level and I guess he would have never asked for so much money. The first level of Reiki is more than enough. And you can even attune yourself without spending a penny.
- Symbols: three symbols at the second level and one Master symbol at the third level. These symbols are usually kept secrets. And you have to pay to get attuned to them and to be able to use them. Reality: symbols are useless, they are common knowledge in Japan or in the East and are useful just as a way to focus. The same job can be done using the symbols on a Playstation pad: cross, triangle, square and circle, and they are free to learn too. And the fact that the symbols existed before Reiki appearing in the West is highly debated. That is they probably are a modern invention.
- There are schools with more than three levels and more than four symbols. Obviously each level has a fee.
- Levels are for receiving and being able to use different, more powerful frequencies of Reiki, you also learn how to direct better the energy flow. Reality: if Reiki is the Universal Life Energy then there is one Energy, it's universal, and if it's an intelligent energy which can do no harm and it's able to go directly where it's most needed then there is no need to learn how, if ever, to direct it.
- Some "Masters" use this levels thing in order to bring people swiftly and gradually toward paying a lot of money to be able to call themselves "Master". Don't do that.
- Before anything, either a treatment or a course, check if the "Master" treats clients consistently or just runs courses. A course can be worth 10-20 clients going down to money.
Conclusion: keep your money in your pockets and if you really want to go to a Reiki "Master" than find a serious one and never pay more than 100 bucks for the first level , in my opinion they are more than enough.
Usui Wish for Reiki
Mikao Usui said that the beauty of Reiki is that it is available to anyone so that every human being can live a better, healthier life. I think he would have been quite disgusted by all the business that has grown around Reiki which has nothing to do with healing.
Is there really someone who thinks that a man like him would have accepted someone asking for thousands dollars to be a "Master". I don't think so.
Even only from my Hypnosis point of view Reiki is a great technique for healing, relaxing, feeling better and even increase health, but not as a get rich quick scheme.
Conclusion and Self Hypnosis Suggestion
Reiki is a healing technique and also a big business, nevertheless it's a good tool to be healthier. It's bad name is due to some people's behaviour, but it would be a pity to disregard Reiki Healing ability because some elements use it to make big money on people's suffering.
Be wise, be skeptic and think twice before giving your money. There are many good Reiki teachers around.
I hope you liked reading this article, and if you are one of those who believe in the existence of a Universal Life Force but cannot afford to learn Reiki this is for you.
- Buy a good book on Reiki, there are many around and some of them even free on the web.
- Read my hub on Self Hypnosis Induction.
- Read my hub on writing Suggestions.
- Substitute as needed the speech with your subconscious: something like "I know that there is a Universal Life Energy interconnecting everything on this Universe and I know that I can connect with it and be able to heal myself and others with it. This would lead to a better life...."
- Arrived at the Suggestion point use these suggestions: I can connect with the Universal Life Energy and be able to use it to heal myself and others. I want to be connected with the Universal Life Energy and be able to use it to heal myself and others. From now on I am (permanently) connected with the Universal Life Energy and I'm able to use it to heal myself and others.
- Always remember to keep Reiki simple, as it is. No need for symbols or any strange stuff.
Thanks for reading this article on Reiki Healing, please leave a comment and if you like it rate it and share.
Have a wonderful day!
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
- Free Nami Reiki Self Attunement
Nami Reiki is a different style of Reiki. Nami means Wave and it has this name because it represents pretty...
- All About Reiki and Where to Get Services
All about Reiki and where to avail of services Throughout centuries, people in their search of trying to improve themselves and seek for better health
- Energy Healing: What It Is, Benefits, and Methods
Energy is something we can feel, but cannot touch. Energy is a powerful force as real as everything we can touch and see, and hear. Energy is all around us.
- Reiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The GrassrootsReiki Free Internet Site
- Reiki - James Deacon\'s REIKI PAGES: 300+ pages of Reiki & related info
Indepth articles: the Symbols, Techniques, History, etc. Early Reiki Documents, Rare Photos, FREE E-BOOKS, Japanese Spiritual Practices & much more
- morgueFile free photos for creatives by creatives
Morguefile.com free stock photos
More by this Author
If you're suffering from OCD or Obsessive Thoughts then you need these two simple tools to clear your mind and leave free space for Positive Thoughts. Useful for any obsessive compulsive disorder.
The Gokai or Five Principles of Reiki are the basic of this Spiritual Practice. They are not only advices on how to live a fulfilling and healthy life but much more. They'll change your life forever.
For Self Defense the two best fighting techniques are surely the Chin Jab and the Hammer Punch. Used in many Martial Arts schools nothing beats them.