Relief for Insomnia
Having trouble getting to sleep or staying a sleep? Maybe it's your diet!
Coffee: try drinking coffee only before 11:00 a.m. and not later in the day. Evidently, drinking coffee early in the day can improve your sleep quality by as much as 30% or more. The caffeine in coffee takes up to twelve hours to be fully broken down by the liver.
Nuts: eating nuts like almonds, can help to relax muscles, soothe your nerves and increase the amount of time spent in restorative sleep. Nuts contain calcium and magnesium and work best if eaten within six hours of bedtime. Eat 1 ounce daily.
Water: helps with sleeping because it hydrates the body. Being dehydrated can effect sleep because it simulates the adrenal glads which will then produce stress hormones. So you don't get up in the night to visit the bathroom, drink the majority of your water before 4:00 p.m.
Snack: eating a bowl of jasmine rice before bed can help you to fall asleep faster. This type of rice increases the body's production of serotonin and cytokinins that help calm nerves and induce drowsiness. Other snacks that all help include oatmeal cookies, buttered whole grain toast, whole-grain cereal and milk.
Natural Sleep Made Simple
Discover how you can get a good night’s sleep tonight and every night, naturally! No habit forming drugs or sleeping pills needed. Don't let stress and worry rob you of a good night's sleep.
This fantastic guide called Natural Sleep Made Simple is a natural solution for sleeping problems and is loaded with lots of helpful information. Even if you’ve all but given up on getting a good night’s sleep you can learn how to fall asleep naturally and wake up refreshed each and every morning. For more information on learning how to get a good night's sleep, click HERE.
10 Tips for a Restful Sleep
- Sleep in complete darkness if possible. Light will disrupt your circadian rhythm and your pineal gland’s production of melatonin and serotonin, the hormones that support your internal clock.
- Don’t watch TV right before bed as it can be stimulating and you will take longer to fall asleep.
- Wear socks to bed. Studies have found that it reduces waking up in the middle of the night.
- Avoid reading stimulating novels and instead read something spiritual or religious to help you relax.
- Journaling before bed helps you get rid of all your ‘busy’ thoughts and helps to relax your mind.
- Go to bed before 11:00 p.m. Studies have shown that our bodies do the majority of repair work between 11:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. The gallbladder dumps toxins during this time as well.
- Keep your bedroom on the cool side and if possible leave the window open to let in some fresh air.
- Try to avoid foods that you have some sensitivity to such as diary and wheat products. These foods can affect sleep and cause apnea, excessive congestion, gastrointestinal upsets including gas.
- Place your clock out of your view so you aren’t watching the time. Watching the clock will only keep you agitated and awake.
- Go to the bathroom right before bed to reduce the chances of having to get up again in the night.
Trouble getting to sleep? Try taking the supplement, L-theanine. Japanese researchers found that taking 200 mg. helped overly stressed people to relax and feel drowsy in as little as 30 minutes after taking this amino acid. L-theanine boosts production of calming brain waves that will have you drift off to dream land. Note: check with your MD before taking any new supplement.
Sleeping and Weight Loss
Being sleep deprived actually hinders weight loss. You body produces more of the hormone, ghrelin and less leptin. Ghrelin spurs on the appetite while leptin will actually stop food cravings.
Comments 4 comments
Another Useful Hubpage
- I Need a Nap!
With all the demands in our lives do you ever find you just don't have enough energy? Do you need a nap in the afternoon or find you are dragging yourself to bed at night? Here's some ideas to give you a restful sleep.
More by this Author
Ever notice that as a woman you say one thing and your husband/boyfriend hears something completely different? Every wonder why that happens?
You can use vinegar to clean just about anything but did you also realize that vinegar has many health benefits? Vinegar has been used since Hippocrates time as a medicine and an antiseptic.