Dozens of Natural Remedies for a Sore Throat
Natural Treatment for a Sore Throat
Sore throat is one of the most common ailments and fortunately one that can be treated with a variety of home remedies.
Sore throats are common side effects of viral illnesses such as sinusitis and colds. Sometimes they are simply caused by irritation – exposure to cigarette smoke, talking too loud etc can all irritate the sensitive mucous membranes at the back of the throat. Other times they are caused by more serious illnesses like Tonsillitis or Strep throat which should be treated by a physician.
If you find a sore throat lingers beyond a few days, is accompanied by a high fever, rash, headache or stiff neck, you should see a doctor immediately, otherwise for your standard, run of the mill sore throat there are many natural remedies and recommendations for relieving and preventing worsening of symptoms.
- Dry air can often worsen a sore throat. Use a humidifier or vaporizer to help add more moisture to the air.
- Change your toothbrush often, especially after illness. Sore throats and other infections can be contracted from bacteria left on toothbrushes.
- Avoid eating foods that are salty, acidic, or spicy as any of these can further irritate a sore throat.
- Snoring can also worsen a sore throat – use the nose strips and sleep on your side.
- Rooms that are not well ventilated or tend to get “stuffy” can cause and/or exacerbate sore throat symptoms. Try to not keep the house too warm in the winter, particularly if you use forced air heat or other forms of dry heat.
- You can help soothe a sore throat with aromatherapy as well.
Nutrients & Supplements for Sore Throat
If you are taking an antibiotic for Strep throat be sure to counteract the negative effects of the antibiotic by taking a pro-biotic supplement like Acidophilus. This will help elevate your bodies level of healthy bacteria and boost your immunity.
Colloidal Silver is a natural antibiotic which can be taken for short periods of time to help combat infections. Follow manufacturers directions and do not exceed recommended doses or take for extended periods.
Garlic – Eat it or take it in supplement form (or both) Garlic is a wonderful blood cleanser and has been shown to improve immune function.
Mushrooms like Shitake or Maitake can be used to help fight viral infections and boost the immune system.
Honey and Lemon Juice: Raw honey and pure organic lemon juice are great for coating the throat and soothing pain. Add a teaspoon or less of lemon juice and a Tbsp of honey to a cup of warm water and sip it.
Vitamin C – Take this in supplement form as orange juice can irritate a sore throat (it's acidic) Vitamin C is one of the most important nutrients for helping your body to fight illness and infection.
Cider Vinegar – gargle with it to help kill infection and keep the area clean
Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) - this is a very powerful natural germicidal and antibiotic. You can gargle with it or even drink it diluted with water for a very potent natural remedy. GSE is so powerful, yet gentle - that it has a variety of uses. You can wash your food with it, and then use it to sterilize a cutting board. It only takes a few drops for most applications and it is highly concentrated - a definite worthwhile investment.
The Most Useful Natural Product Every Household Needs
One little bottle of GSE will last you up to a year with regular use. It is a potent antimicrobial that you can use on any surface safely. I mix it with water to sterilize my cutting boards for example. Because it is from Grapefruit seed, it has no chemicals and is incredibly safe.
Drinking it or placing it in capsules can help you fight of viruses and infections. It can be blended with creams or coconut oil to treat skin issues like little bites and irritation as well.
Pull open the label and you'll dozens of ways to use it all over the house. A few drops is all you need. AMAZING stuff every household should have.
Herbal Remedies for Sore Throat Relief
- Echinacea – this herb has been shown to boost immunity and help fight bacterial and viral infections. It loses its effectiveness if taken for too long at a time and should only be used in short bursts for best effect.
- Goldenseal – can be taken short term to help cleanse the body and boost immunity. It should not be used longer than a week at a time and people with ragweed allergies should use extreme caution with this herb.
- Astragalus – A very powerful herb for boosting the immune system by increasing production of white cells. It also increases energy and is used in China to help cancer patients recover from the effects of chemotherapy. It is one of the best herbs for supporting the immune system and is not as well known as many others. Unlike Echinacea you can use this herb throughout cold/flu season to boost your immunity.
- Fenugreek can relieve a sore throat and swollen glands. Add several drops to 1 cup water and gargle with it a few times daily.
- Licorice Root and Slippery Elm can both be found in lozenges. Licorice soothes soreness and slippery elm helps reduce irritation. Licorice should be avoided if you have high blood pressure.
- Raspberry leaf tea is good for both sore throats and fever blisters and it also tastes delightful.
- Sage – make an infusion of sage and gargle with it while warm. This can also be mixed with the cider vinegar from above.
Traditional Medicinals makes a product called “Throat Coat” tea that works well for laryngitis. It's made with organic licorice root.
Do You Use Natural Remedies for Sore ThroatSee results without voting
Aromatherapy also has its uses in the treatment of sore throats. Bergamot, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Sandalwood, Tea Tree, and Lavender can all be used to relieve cold/flu and sore throat symptoms. I add a few drops to a diffuser and breathe the air to clear the sinuses and help soothe.
Some other things to consider – if you find you have a chronic “tickly throat” or irritating, dry cough it may indicate the presence of food allergies. Hoarseness that is prolonged can point to more serious problems like oral or throat cancer. Be sure to take symptoms like these seriously and consult a healthcare professional if your sore throat is persistent or worsens.
You May Also Like
- Homemade Cough Syrup Safe for Kids
This recipe is all natural, safe for children and a safe alternative to cough syrups and cold medications the FDA has determined are dangerous for children under 6 years old. Learn how easy it is to make your own and how it works!
- How to Get Rid of Cold Sores Quickly
how to prevent and reduce outbreaks of cold sores or fever blisters using natural methods that work quickly and effectively. Supplements, dietary, herbal remedies and essential oils.
- How to Fall Asleep Fast Remedies for Insomnia
Dozens of tips for beating insomnia, remedies, supplements, relaxation techniques and more to help you fall asleep fast and stay that way naturally without drugs.
- Natural Remedies to Prevent and Heal Gum Disease Nat...
Learn how to naturally treat and prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Keep your teeth healthy and strong for good.
© 2012 Christin Sander
More by this Author
Learn 10 home remedies that actually work to help you kick those annoying hiccups to the curb. From a woman who's fought the battle for almost 40 years.
Astragalus is a lesser known and very powerful herbal remedy with a variety of applications. It is a very effective herb for long-term immunity support and great for use during the cold and flu season.
Learn how to become a highly sought after reviewer on Amazon. Receive free and deeply discounted products in exchange for sincere, honest reviews legally and ethically.