Right use of Antibiotics
The survey and finding by our government
"New Delhi: A study conducted by the World Health Organisation (WHO) has revealed that more than half (53 per cent) of Delhiites surveyed self prescribe antibiotics. Moreover, 1 in 4 of those surveyed stop taking them once they felt better, instead of finishing the entire course.
While 1 in 4 Delhiites (25 %) treat regular fever with antibiotics, 18 %of those surveyed re-use antibiotics in the family.
According to the study, 16 % to 18 % physicians said they prescribe antibiotics for non-specific fever, cough and even diarrhea.
"If patients come to the doctor and they don't prescribe them anti-biotic medicine they will change their doctor. So the pressure is much. Antibiotics have become too casual - it's too cheap and easily available," said WHO India Director Dr Nata Manabde.
Doctors are warning that we're endangering not just our own health, but that of future generations along with it. Once it is seen that the first line treatment loses its efficacy, one has to switch over to much more powerful antibiotics, which means more side effects from them, as well as rise in medicine-resistant super bugs which lead to more expensive drugs..
And then there's also the cost factor. While the second line drugs for the treatment of HIV/AIDS are 6 times more costlier than the first line drugs, for tuberculosis, Second line drugs are 100 times costlier than the first line drugs..
Rampant use of chemicals in growing plants and treating animals -( from honeybees to farm animals) - with antibiotics is adding to the problem.
"The antibiotic policy, which the Government is trying to bring out, can make a difference," said ICMR Director Dr VM Katoch.
Our Government is still working on a National antibiotic policy that is expected toshow results soon.
Here are some facts to remember regarding intake of antibiotics
Antibiotics sometimes have side effects.You should immediately get in touch of your doctor if you have any of the side effects mentioned below:
- Vomiting ,severe watery diarrhea and abdominal cramps ,allergic reaction (shortness of breath, hives, swelling on your lips, puffy face, or tongue, fainting and itching with red eruptions on the skin ) sometimes vaginal itching or discharge also happens,White patches on the tongue.
- Often it is seen that some people are allergic to certain types of antibiotics,generally it is penicillin. If you know that certain chemicals in the antibiotic cause problem to you always talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking the medicine or if possible check with the skin test .
- Be very sure that your doctor and pharmacist know about all the other medications you'll be taking or you are taking while on your antibiotics , it is seen that certain antibiotics may have interactions with other prescription and nonprescription drugs. For example, Biaxin (an antibiotic) should never be taken with Reglan (a digestive medicine).
- Innocence may sometimes lead to life risk , treatment failure due to incomplete dose or due to expensive cost of treatment. In such case people cease to buy them.
- Antibiotic resistance has become a growing problem and has contributed to increased rates of treatment failure and poor prognosis.
- Antibiotic misuse and resistance is another problem and is a major contributor to growing rates of antibiotic resistance. ,the misuse is that people use antibiotic to treat viral infection which has nothing to do with antibiotics , General viral infection subsides in seven days .
- Another problem of people is poor adherence to antibiotic therapy,retaining unfinish antibiotic for latter use.Extensive use of broad -spectrum agents, inadequate pathogen coverage
- Excessive use of broad spectrum agents,sub optimal dosing may cause problems.
- There is a requirement of new class of antibiotic but the problem is that it nearly takes more than a million dollars to invent a new drug and a long period of 10 to 20 year to bring it to the market for human use .Some antibiotic on their way are Glycylcyclines,FAb1 inhibitors,gyrb and par einhibitors
More by this Author
Gain height according to age,so that people who want to put up height can help themselves.
This article lists the ways to prevent and treat dark spots on the skin due to sun damage, hyperpigmentation, and melasma.