See How Easily You Can Make Your Office Chair Ergonomic!!
You would think that facing a convict in his home, with the possibility of having my head blown off, would be my worst workplace hazard. I suppose it could be, but the chance of a convict going ape-shit probably is unlikely unless he/she doesn't value his freedom. (and some don't!)
It's the chair I sit in day in and day out filing those reports, typing up endless accounts of my day with those convicts that seem to get me in worst shape...
The longer-lasting affects of sitting in a "pain-in-the-ass" chair at work can be, well, a "pain-in-the-ass",and shoulders, and legs, and back....
Don't expect the State to give you a $700 chair either... because tax-payers don't support law enforcement officers until they save their own lives (growl).
Gone are the days when sitting on a Sears Roebuck Catalog or sandwiching a pillow behind your sore back passes for "ergonomics".
A good office chair can costs thousands of dollars, depending on construction material, design, size (especially if your big like me) and brand. People don't seem to mind shilling out thousands of dollars for a well made chair if it doesn't hurt their back, butt, or feet. Sometimes these high-end butt holders can be well coveted gifts!
Humorous Workplace Safety Tips
Adjusting Your Chair
Sitting for a long time can cause increased pressures on the inter-vertebral discs which absorb the shock of the spine. Sitting is hard on the legs. Gravity tends to pool the blood in the legs and feet which causes the heart to be sluggish.
- "Dynamic sitting"~ don't sit in one static position for extended periods of time.
- When performing daily tasks, alternate between sitting and standing.
- Adjust the height of the backrest to support the natural inward curvature of the lower spine.
- A rolled towel is sometimes useful to support the lower back.
- Adjust the height of the chair with the lower back against the backrest and shoulders touching the backrest.
- The backrest angle should be a 90 degree angle optimally.
- Thighs should be parallel to the floor and knees about the same level as the hips.
- The back of the knees should not come in direct contact with the edge of the seat (a rule of thumb: 2 or three inches from the edge of the seat and your knees).
- Don't use armrests to slouch(even if your boss is boring and you want to sleep).
- Adjust armrests so they allow the user to rest the arms to their sides and relax the shoulders while they type.
- Where armrest are used, elbows and lower arms should rest lightly so as to not cause circulatory and nerve problems.
On the Lighter Side....
More by this Author
You come into work, wife or husband has been bitching at you all morning about the kids not being dressed on time for the school bus. The traffic was hell, and the dog took a shit on your shoes as you walked...
WE HAVE ALREADY COVERED THE BAD BOSS.... BUT WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE A BAD COWORKER? As everyone knows by now, I am a LEO, and there is the good, bad, and the ugly officer--as with any job. In my...
Here are photos of the worst, ugliest, stupidest tattoos ever, the biggest wastes of ink you can imagine.
No comments yet.