Silent Acid Reflux
A little background-silent acid reflux
Many people have silent acid reflus for years and never realize it. Most of the people with this condition never even have heartburn. However, if it is left untreated it can damage your voice box, vocal chords, and esophagus. So how do you know when you have it? That's where I come in. I'm going to tell you the symptoms and what you can do to reduce the effects.
I had silent acid reflux for years before it turned into acid reflux. By the time the doctors realized I had a problem my esophagus was already showing damage. My heartburn was so bad that I would have to go to the emergency room time after time for treatments. I would have breathing treatments and they would make me a cocktail out of a combination of medications to help soothe my esophagus.
I am now at the point where I needed them to go in to repair a part of my esophagus. Believe me when I say it is something you do not want to experience first hand. I decided to write this to help inform anyone who might have a slight suspicion that they have silent acid reflux. Believe me you do want to catch this early.
Don't try to treat it at home. Please go to your doctor and ask for help.
Symptoms of Silent Acid Reflux
1. Horseness or trouble talking, especially first thing in the morning
2. Unexplained fatigue
3. Chronic cough
4. Frequent sore throats
5. Difficulty swallowing
6. Excess mucus in the throat
8. Periods of wakefullness during the night-disturbed sleep
9. Post nasal drip
11. Sleep apnea
12. Bad breath
16. Tooth decay
How to Reduce Symptoms of Silent Acid Reflux
1. Limit intake of butter - the fat content is what gets you
2. Wear loose clothing - tight clothes can push acids up into the esophagus
3. Avoid red meat
4. Follow a low fat diet
5. Avoid fried foods
6. Avoid mints
7. Do not lie down for 3 hours after eating
8. Avoid chocolate
9. Avoid cheese
10. Avoid soda
11. Avoid caffeine
12. Avoid alcoholic beverages
13. Avoid tobacco
14. Drink Aloe Vera Juice-it soothes the esophagus and stomach
15. Eat licorice
16. Sleep at an 8" incline
17. Drink Marshmallow root tea-it lowers stomach acid levels You can make this tea by adding 10 to 15 drops of Marshmallow root extract to 6 oz. of warm water. Drink twice daily.
18. Avoid canned and processed foods
19. Try to lessen or avoid stress
20. Avoid spicy foods
21. Eat small frequent meals
22. Chew gum to increase saliva and neutralize acid
Links to More Acid Reflux Information
- Heartburn, Acid Reflux and Gastro-esophageal reflux ...
Around 15 million Americans suffers from Heartburn every day. Heartburn, acid reflux and esophageal reflux disease are on the increase and can cause serious conditions like cancer. Do not ignore it.
- 3 Ways to Treat Acid Reflux
It is estimated that 60 million adults in the United States suffer from acid reflux once a month. At least 2 million Americans are thought to suffer daily. Are you one of them? According to medical experts,...
- Getting rid of heartburn or acid reflux
So your sitting down at the end of a long day. Maybe your getting ready to write that next blog or hub. Maybe its to watch some TV, or read a book. Or maybe its to spend time with that special someone. And...
- How To Control Acid Reflux Naturally
First, can I say OMG! Several years ago when I was first diagnosed with GERD, commonly known as acid reflux I did not have a clue to what my body was going through. I had a severe problem with reflux, and loss...
- Acid Reflux Vs. Apple Cider Vinegar
Its been quite a while now that I haven't write anything on my Hub right after I was diagnosed for Acid Reflux or GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). My trouble with it has affected my daily activities and...
Acid reflux (silent or otherwise) can lead to serious problems if left untreated such as severe esophageal inflammation, and inflammation of the stomach, lungs. throat, and vocal cords. It can even lead to esophageal cancer. So please take care of it. See your doctor and let him know of your symptoms.
More by this Author
The Amish have a handle on how to treat wounds. Their home remedies have been around for years.
Unfortunately there is no cure for age related Macular Degeneration. However there is still hope. Following a special Macular Degeneration diet, eating the right kind of food, taking the right vitamins, shield your eyes...
Every color has it's own special meaning. Have you ever wondered what makes a hospital paint their walls a cool green? Read and find out.