A little About Sinus Problems
Did you know that 37 million people suffer from sinus pain at least once a year? And some of them like me, have it even more often. Sinus problems can be caused by allergies, colds, and mold. Cool damp weather can also affect sinus sufferers. After quite a bit of research and years of sinus problems this is what I did to get relief.
Saline Nasal Wash System
A saline nasal wash system like the neti pot brings relief by washing out allergans and bacteria from the nasal passages. I know that it seems a little gross but you would not believe the relief you'll get from using one. Out of everything on this page the neti pot probably brings the quickest relief.
Reduce Pain And Inflammation
Use a rice pack to reduce pain and inflammation, Just fill an old sock about half way with uncooked white rice. Tie off the end and warm in the microwave to a comfortable temp. I usually heat mine about 75 seconds on high, (be very careful to not get it to hot) Then place it over the area where you are experiencing the sinus pain and relax.
Cayenne Pepper Tea
Cayenne pepper tea works great to clear up sinus pain and congestion. Make a cup of hot tea then add a dash of milk,a couple of spoonfuls of raw honey,a dash of lemon and two dashes of cayenne pepper. (just open the capsule and sprinkle some into the tea)
Not only does honey taste good but it's also very effective at killing bacteria. But I'm talking about pure raw organic honey not that pasturised stuff you can find at the grocery store. If you have a local source you might give it a try, otherwise I very much recommend Manuka Honey. Manuka honey from New Zealand is made from pollen gathered from the flowers of the Manuka bush (a medicinal plant). And has been show to eradicate more than 250 types of bacteria which includes the bacteria that cause sinus infections.
- Saline nasal sprays are helpful to keep nasal passages moist.
- Try to eat healthy and consider taking a garlic supplement to help kill infection.
- A hot shower in the morning can work wonders to keep reduce congestion.
- If your sinus problems are caused by mold then you should consider getting a dehumidifer.
- If this is your first sinus infection always see a Physician as an infection can sometimes be very serious.
- Keep the humidity in your home at a comfortable level (45 %) to much humidity will cause mold to grow and to little will dry out your nasal passages.