Natural Treatments for Psoriasis
Unconventional natural treatments for Psoriasis
The use of natural unconventional treatments for psoriasis and other skin disorders will provide much relief to those who suffer from the condition.
In this series of hubs I will take a look at varying skin disorders that I have researched, and pair these conditions with the most effective unconventional natural remedies known to work for persons suffering from each condition. In other hubs I will take a look at each plant/remedy which are suggested in each article, and then link them to their respective skin condition. I hope that the information presented here will be beneficial to all who read them.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that as always these remedies are not stated as medical opinions and that the use of these alternate remedies is purely at the discretion of the user. It is always best to get a medical opinion so please check with your doctor before employing these alternative medicine/remedies.
Diagnoses and symptoms
Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune skin condition which usually occurs in adolescents, overweight persons, and young adults. Though the disease can affect persons of any age it generally starts affecting persons between ages 15 – 35. The condition can affect any part of the body, and usually does not cause any serious problems though complications may occur in arthritic patients. Due to the fact that psoriasis mimics other conditions a thorough examination should be done to ensure the condition is properly diagnosed. Procedures leading up to diagnosis may include a skin biopsy and an x-ray if arthritic-like pains are present in the patient. Symptoms of this condition includes:
- Calluses which are round, slightly protruding and covered with white scabs and in most cases favours the lower back, scalp, elbows, knees.
- Skin becomes thick, red and flaky with sliver to white scales
- A fungus-like infection in the finger nails where it does corrosive damage. This may include a thickening of the nail, separation of the nail from its base, yellow-brown spots and pitting/denting.
- A yeast-like infection in the genitals
- Joint pain which may signal psoriatic arthritis
- Severe dandruff
Yeast, bacterial infections and ulcerations tend to develop around the lesions and sadly the condition has the tendency to become resistant to conventional treatment. The condition is not contagious but rather seems to be hereditary.
Natural/Herbal Psoriasis Treatment
All-natural, non-toxic, herbal based topical psoriasis treatment which is free from steroids, coal tar or salicylic acid.
Causes of Psoriasis
Causes of the disease are presently contributed to two main factors. These are:
There are other factors which many trigger an attack in person affected by the condition. These factors include:
- Injury to the skin such as cuts and burns
- Some medications
- Dry skin conditions as well as dry air
- Lack of sufficient sunlight
- Too much alcohol
- Bacterial and viral infections including sore throat and other respiratory conditions.
Please note that each person may have their trigger points for the condition. If you or a loved one have to cope with this condition then be sure to find out what may trigger an attack and do your best to avoid them.
At risk persons
At risk persons for developing the condition are persons whose immune system is already compromised. These include persons with conditions such as:
- Persons undergoing chemotherapy
- Autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
It is important to note here that doctors are of the opinion that this disease may occur as a result of the immune system attacking healthy cells in the body when it identifies them to be possible harmful substances. This may also occur in person who are totally healthy and have no pre-existing conditions.
The skin usually replenishes itself each month by producing cells deep in the skin which then rise to the surface to replace dead cells. This process occurs faster in person affected by psoriasis, taking as little as two weeks instead of the usual four.
The condition is life-long but psoriasis can be controlled with treatment. It may go into remission for a long time and then return. As was indicated before the condition is not a life threatening one.
Other Natural Ways to Treat Psoriasis
Treatment of Psoriasis
Person affected by psoriasis and who may choose to use unconventional remedies may find these herbs and suggested remedies helpful.
- Avoid meat and animal fat. Choose to supplement your protein intake by using low-fat or soy milk and/or using protein rich produce such as legumes and garbanzo beans.
- Avoid using items such as tobacco, alcohol, spices, tea and coffee
- Avoid becoming stressed and try as much as possible to avoid emotional problems
- Use vitamins A and D which are known to help alleviate the condition and be sure to use a prescribed salve to treat the lesions
- An oatmeal bath is useful in loosening the scales and soothing the skin. One cup of oatmeal mixed with warm bath water or the use of oatmeal bath products should prove useful.
Useful Herbs include:
- Sassafras: Oral preparations such as boiled liquid made from the flowers of the plant, an extract or a powder made from the stigmas of the plant.
- Trumpet tree: Local application of liquid steeped from the leaves. Apply to the lesions.
- Mullein: Preparation from flowers taken orally. This is an infusion of the flowers.
- Sarsaparilla: Local application of boiled liquid made from the roots
- Guitite: Local application of liquid made from a maceration of the leaves. Apply to lesions.
Saffron: A preparation from the stigmas taken orally.
Please click on each plant name and follow links to gain detailed information on each plant including preparation and dosage.
Medicinal Plants to Treat PsoriasisClick thumbnail to view full-size
More by this Author
Many people who have been using soursop tea for health reasons have shared their wonderful experiences to help others. Have you been using the tea? What is your story?
The greatest medical benefit of using soursop tea is getting rid of cancer without the side effects of chemotherapy. The greatest financial benefit to be derived from ...
a shot of cold treatment seems to be just what the body ordered to deal with joint pains and inflamations