Benefits of Coffee
Help! Is Coffee good for me?
Some of us hate it. Lot’s of us love it, but over the past 20 years there has been so much controversy on whether or not coffee is good for us or bad for us. It is no surprise to me. Now-a-days this seems to be the trend. One minute something is bad for us the next it is wonderful and will cure all of our disease and illnesses. It works the opposite way as well. How many times have you heard TV commercials regarding medicines that were suppose to be treating or curing your illness but now might have some crazy side effect? This wonderful drug that was suppose to do miracles for us might now cause you to get another disease or illness. What’s with all the confusion? I say the best thing to do is to evaluate the situation on your own. If what you are taking or using are not essential to take immediately, do some research on what the known facts about the product are, and then decide whether or not it is right for you.
The Truth About Some Medications
I will tell you a short but true story. I have an uncle that unfortunately had a brain aneurysm. After having the aneurysm he was no longer able to communicate and function as he did before. He was able to walk, but unless you were around him often, you would not be able to understand what he was saying. He was put on medication that was supposed to clear the mind. Before this incident, my uncle was the nicest most easygoing person I have every met. After taking the medicine for a while, he started to become very angry all the time. And it would happen for no good reason. Any little thing would set him off. This was not like him at all. I had never heard him yell in my entire life before this. And yelling became the norm. To make a long story short, my mom suggested to my aunt that she should wean him off his meds. So she decided to wean him off this "mind clearing" medicine and within weeks there was improvement. Now he does not take that medicine at all, and amazingly he is no longer angry. He is still not able to speak 100% clearly, but you can understand him a little better. So my advice to you is to be careful on what you take and like I said before try to get as much information as you can before taking it. You can also look into herbal and alternative medicines. There are a lot of herbal medications which will give you similar if not better results than prescription medications.
What are the Pros and Cons of Coffee?
BUT back to the subject of coffee! I am an avid coffee drinker. I personally have never had any bad reaction to coffee but since we have been hearing so much recently about how good coffee is for you now, despite 20 years of research telling us otherwise, I decided to look up some information about the subject on my own. I was hoping that the pros outweighed the cons because I am not quite ready to give up my coffee!
The Pros of Coffee
Here are my findings according to recent studies:
- Drinking one to three cups of coffee per day can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six or more cups per day slashed men’s risk by 54% and women by 30%. (This is compared to non coffee drinkers)
- At least six studies show that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson’s Disease.
- Other research show that drinking at least two cups a day compared to non coffee drinkers have a 25% chance of reducing the risk of colon cancer, 80% drop in liver Cirrhosis risk and half the risk of gallstones.
- Research is showing that coffee may offset some damage that is caused by other vices such as heavy drinking and smoking. It may reduce the risk of heart disease and liver damage. Research is based on heavy consumption of coffee and compared to those who do not drink coffee.
- There is also evidence showing that coffee may help with asthma and even control attacks if medicine is not available. It can stop headaches, boost your mood and even prevent cavities.
The Cons of Coffee
- Caffeine is a mild addictive stimulant.
- It has modest cardiovascular effects. It can increase heart rate, increase blood pressure and sometimes cause an irregular heartbeat.
- It may cause dehydration.
- It may cause heartburn because it is known to relax the sphincter muscle of the esophagus.
- If you suffer from rosacea and ulcers you are advised to avoid coffee because it can worsen the condition.
- High coffee consumption may cause higher incidence of PMS symptoms, osteoporosis, increased miscarriages and more difficulty conceiving in women with fertility problems.
- It may use up vital vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B and C, calcium, zinc and iron.
Decide if Coffee is Right for You
I have concluded that most of the information is contradicting. Some sources state that it gives you headaches, while others say it cures them. Some studies say that the benefits will only occur if coffee is consumed in large amounts, while others say drink it in moderation. One source says it will make you sleepy and another says it will keep you awake. I do not know what to make of these "sources". So I guess I have not really accomplished much at all. I have decided that I am going to HOPE that all the good things they say about coffee are true. But for you, I suggest you see how it affects you personally. I think that in this case, coffee in moderation should not cause you any harm. If you see that it is affecting you in a negative way, then of course you should stop drinking it, but other wise I say drink your Java, Joe, Coffee or whatever you call it. Even if you do decide to research this subject further on your own, you more than likely still will not be able to get a solid answer! Happy Coffee Drinking!
Are you an avid coffee drinker?See results without voting
More by this Author
Deciding whether to hold on or let go of our ex is hard. Remember that we should do what our heart guides us to do.
Handball is a very challenging yet fun sport. I have compiled a list of rules and terms used in handball.
We all have strong emotions after a breakup. It can be very hard and quite confusing. Realize that going through emotions is totally normal and you are not alone.