Dr. Oz says Soak Up and Sweep Out Your Fat With Glucomannan
Dr. Oz calls glucomannan a sponge
Dr. Oz calls it a sponge. In Japan it is known as the “broom of the intestine.” It could just be your answer to weight loss. “You can’t stay on your diet and do what you want to do if you are hunger all the time,” says Dr. Oz. “I like to call it (glucomannan) ‘nature’s skinny sponge’ because that is litrerally what it does. It’s a sponge that will suck up your hunger.”
Glucomannan is a sugar from the konjac plant. It is used to treat constipation, blood sugar control, lowering cholestrol and weight loss. Glucomannan works in the stomach and/or the intestine by absorbing water and turning it into a bulky fiber. This action slows the absorption of sugar and cholestrol from the gut.
“The fiber causes glucomannan to swell more than tenfold as it soaks up liquid, which exerts a stretching effect on the stomach. This stimulates nerves that go right to the brain, telling it to dial down appetite immediately,” says Shawn M. Talbott, Ph.D. and coauthor of The Health Professional’s Guide to Dietary Supplements.
Glucomannan is available in three forms, powder, shirataki noodles and capsules. The powder can be used in shakes, or as a thickener in sauces, soups and salads. Shirataki noodles are very thin and often tasteless. You need to be creative when cooking the noodles. Dr. Oz’s recommendation is for 500mg capsules-- 3 times a day before meals. The capsules must be taken with at least 8 ounces of water. Glucomannan may react with some oral medications. Therefore, take glucomannan at least one hour after the medication you are taking by mouth.
Shirataki and konnyaku are Japanese foods. The Japanese labeled the product ‘the broom of the intestine’ because of the cleaning out effect of the fiber. Health Canada issued a warning against all forms of glucomannan, “Natural health products containing the ingredient glucomannan in tablet, capsule or powder form, which are currently on the Canadian market, have a potential for harm if taken without at least 8 ounces of water or other fluid. The risk to Canadians includes choking and/or blockage of the throat, esophagus or intestine, according to international adverse reaction case reports. It is also important to note that these products should NOT be taken immediately before going to bed." The report went on to state eating shirataki noodles did not pose any choking risks.
The noodles are low-carb and gluten free. They can be used to replace pasta. Konnyaku is just about zero calories. It is made of 97% water. The other 3% is fiber and glucomannan, protein, starch and calcium.
Lose Twice as Much
The results from a five-week study done at the University of Tromso in Norway revealed, “ women who added glucomannan to their diet lost nearly twice the pounds of those who didn’t.” Others taking glucomannan had a decrease in the levels of a hunger hormone by up to 30% for two hours.
Not all supplements or new mircale pills are going to work the same on everbody. A good balanced diet is the main key to any successful, health diet change. Find out what works for you and enjoy.
More by this Author
The nine islands off the coasts of Maine and New Hampshire are full of history. many still believe buried silver can be found. American poet, Celia Thaxter lived and died on one of the islands.
Dr. Oz's new recommendation to help reduce stress, reduce belly fat and reduce hunger pains involves adding seeds to your diet.
The seven major islands that make up the Elizabeth Islands have some unique facts. Most islands are private, but vistors can use the beaches.
No comments yet.