Stair Climbing - Quicker Workout, Faster Results
Stair Usage Poll
When I am at work or crusing the mall I ......See results without voting
What I am about to say is quite shocking. I would not admit this is the audience of say... my children, their teachers, and especially not their gym coach. I am an anti-exorcist....oh wait no..that's dealing with the paranormal. I am anti-exercise...... that's better. It's staggering, I know. In the presence of normal society I pretend to be "into it." I watch Biggest Loser religiously. I have some sort of work out gear, somewhere. It makes its appearance every year for the church softball tournament. I even bought Wii Fit and proceeded to make a mini me. She looks all perky and ready to work out whenever I have the moxie to turn the game on. Yeah. Good for her...or...me? You see, I go through the motions, but do I really mean it all? No. I really can't stand it. I don't mean playing sports, being health, etc. I mean exercising just to exercise. It really just bores me to tears.
Luckily for me I've always been naturally thin, even un-naturally thin if you count middle school, but who does that? But wait...I actually do subscribe to Health Magazine. Well, my grandmother gave me the subscription, but it still counts. I just wanted to throw that in for all you fitness buffs who are pointing the mental finger of scorn in my direction at this moment. You know who you are. Finally, through this periodical of perfection it seems like I have found the "exercise" of my life. Really it's just in the nick of time. In exactly two days and one year I will be thirty. Add that plus three kids and I am starting to need this said exercise. I guess we all really do age. Yes, sadly when I sit down there is now a small roll on my tummy, I now buy jeans that promise to make your butt more shapely (out of need, not want), and my thighs...ok I'll just stop there. So, what is this miraculous exercise you ask in breathless wonder? Well, it's stair climbing, and it works.
When I was reading my Health magazine a couple months ago I came across this golden nugget of exercise genius. "Take the stairs," it told me "it burns twice as much fat in half the time." Half the time?! Perfect. I'd like to say that I ran to the nearest Sports Authority and bought their newest Stair Master 5,000, set it to the highest setting, and began my new butt kicking work out that day, but that would be lying....and lying is bad. No, I just turned on Dora for my three year old and starting cruising up and down our stairs at home. No monthly membership, no machine for me to break (it's inevitable, just ask my husband) and no need for child care to boot! In doing this hands on experiment and some research of my own I am here to testify!!! It works y'all, and it's easy and fast. Here are some of the facts that I have discovered. Read them and become a believer. There are stairs every where in this world! Find some, grab your iPod, and get going! I've only been working at it for a couple weeks and I can already feel the difference.
Great exercises for in between the stair running!
- Wear supportive shoes. Aerobic or cross-trainers are the best for stairs.
- If you are in a stairwell make sure it is lit and well ventilated.
- Drink water, before, during and after!!!
- Your knees are more stressed going down the stairs than up. Go slower on the way down.
- Assume the correct position: Lean forward a bit from the hips and keep your back straight.
- Don’t climb with heels hanging off the edge of the step as you’ll risk injuring your Achilles tendon. Instead, place your entire foot on each step, heel first.
- Never climb in a deserted area. Make sure there is someone nearby in case of an unlikely accident. This would be me, and it wouldn't be unlikely. I'm not what one would call graceful.
Stair Climbing: The Facts!
- Climbing stairs improves cardiovascular health. Get that heart pumping!
- It is considered weight bearing exercise, so it gives you healthier bones, like milk...ummm..only it's not a drink...
- Stair climbing burns twice as many calories than any other sport or activity.
- Because of that intensity it requires less time. For example 30 mins. of running is equal to about 15 mins.of stair climbing. Woohoo! Who likes running anyway?
- Using the banister or railings to help pull you up actually adds to the work out by toning your arms.
- It works out all of the leg muscles. Feel the burn!
- Climbing up stairs is better for your knees than running.
- Stair climbing can be done with out purchasing special equipment.
- This form of exercise is also great for butt muscles. Hooray!
- Another added benefit is the great core muscle work out, and it also improves posture. Can you say six pack?
- Climbing stairs regularly also improves balance. Yet another great thing for me to work on!
- Using the stairs for doing push-ups and other exercises is also a great way to work out!
- Stair Climbing: A Fast, Efficient Anti-Aging Workout | StopAgingNow.com
Walks are wonderful, relaxing and invigorating, but if you want to step up your fitness quickly and efficiently, take to the stairs!
- Fitness - Skip the Elevator, Take the Stairs - NYTimes.com
Are stair workouts the economical end to gym memberships? Experts weigh in.
More by this Author
Every woman has their own style. Some haunt runways and browse fashion magazines tirelessly searching for the newest trend to follow. Others like to hunt at garage sales and thrift stores for their own eclectic and...
As a teenager I had a set routine to follow when the time rolled around to get a new hair cut. First I would buy the newest hairstyle mags and pour over them. Then I would surf the web for hours reading every article on...
Did you know the skin is the largest organ of the body? It should be a top priority for everyone to keep their skin healthy and clean. Whether you are a man or woman,to keep skin glowing we all need four things; daily...